Acts Bible Study

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.padfield.com/acrobat/nt/acts.pdf

A
1. The gospel of Luke
2. A Roman official mentioned in Luke

B
1. That he would come back
2. "Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?" And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

C
1. a cloud received him out of their sight.
2. they will be witnesses for Christ to spread the good news

D
1. Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James [the son] of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas [the brother] of James with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
2. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication,

E
1. He bought a field and killed himself there
2. Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
3. God, they cast lots and Matthias was chosen

F
1. The apostles
2. God blessed the apostles with His Holy Spirit giving them spiritual gifts they didn't have before

G
1. devout men from other nations
2. they heard their native languages spoken by the apostles

H
1. Peter
2. Peter had to explain that they were filled with the Holy Spirit (according to prophecy), not wine
3. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses
4. what shall we do?
5. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized. Their hearts were moved and they wanted to be followers of Christ.

I
1. the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
2. They were afraid but inspired by their miracles
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
A. 1) The Gospel of Luke

2) Not a whole lot. We know he was probably someone of rank and/or stature who had Luke research the beginnings of Christianity for him. He was also a Christian.

B. 1) That the Holy Spirit would come to them.

2) If he was going to restore the Kingdom of Israel. He told them that it wasn't for them to know the times or dates set down by God.

C. 1) He ascended into the sky.

2) I'm not sure I understand the question. The apostles weren't told to do anything in those verses. They were told Jesus would come in the same way he left, and earlier, to wait in Jerusalem for the holy Spirit and then to preach to all nations.

D. 1) The 11 disciples, and maybe some women, Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.

2) Prayed constantly

E. 1) Judas committed suicide after being wracked with guilt. His wages were spent on the field of his "burial".

2) He had to have been with Jesus and the disciples from the time of John the baptist, since he was going to be a witness.

3) God did. Through the "random" chance of casting lots.

F. 1) The disciples of Jesus (including, I think, all the others who were in the upper room).

2) All who believed in Him. It means that when you become a Christian, man, women or child, God sends the holy spirit upon you with the only requirement of belief.

G. 1) God-fearing Jews. I think it was because of Passover.

2) The heard the sound of the rushing wind, and maybe the fire. As well as people speaking their language, wherever they may have come from.

H. 1) Peter.

2) Who Jesus actually was, and that he had risen again. Also what CCGR said.

3) Eyewitness testimony, bible verses, and the pouring out of the Spirit onto the disciples. As well as the fact the people knew what he was talking about.

4) "What shall we do?"

5) They were baptized. A public pronunciation of their faith in Jesus.

I. 1) The apostles teaching, fellowship, and the breaking of bread and prayer.

2) The people favored them.

Side note: I like this study so far. Perhaps lazy of me, but I think I learn better when I have questions put to me rather than just studying on my own.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah it's an easy to follow study, I like it

A.
1. Peter healed the man and he was able to walk
2. The people were amazed and filled with wonder

B.
1. He accused them of killing Jesus and taking a murder in his place.
2. Acknowledge and apologize for you sins and aim not to repeat them
3. That Jesus would come, rise from the dead and forgive our transgressions

C.
1. The teaching of Jesus Christ and His resurrection
2. People who were hearing the message believed

D.
1. By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?
2. That he was crucified and raised from the dead

E.
1. perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
2. And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

F.
1. they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
2. and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. (I love what happens next!)

G.
1. them that believed were of one heart and of one soul
2. Barnabas helped evangelize and founded the Cypriot Church

H.
1. They were dishonest with the church/God
2. They were killed on the spot and great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

I.
1. signs and wonders
2. to be touched by Peter's shadow

J.
1. the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, they went to the temple
2. beaten [them], they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

K.
1. Grecians with neglected widows
2. they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch

L.
1. full of faith and power, blasphemous words against Moses, and [against] God
2. Their promised land and rebellion to God.
3. Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers [did], so [do] ye.
4. When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with [their] teeth. They killed him on the spot, no fair trial.
5. Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Jesus was not sitting.

M.
1. Witnessed and condoned it
2. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
A. 1) He healed him.

2) They were astonished and came running.

B. 1) The unfair trial and death of Jesus (albeit in ignorance).

2) It means to turn away from your sins and turn to God.

3) Jesus's life, death and resurrection.

C. 1) The apostles were teaching and proclaiming in Jesus the ressurection of the dead.

2) Some of the people who heard the message believed it, and the number grew to about 5000.

D. 1) "By what power or name did you do this?"

2) That he had risen from the dead.

E. 1) That they were unschooled ordinary men.

2) The forbade them to speak or teach in the name of Jesus. Peter asked them whether it was right in their sight to obey God, or men?

F. 1) Back to their own people, and reported what the Chief priests and elders had said to them.

2) That God would consider their threats and enable them to speak with great boldness. To stretch out His hand to heal and perform miracles through the name of Jesus.

G. 1) They gave up everything they owned to their brothers sisters out of love. They knew Jesus was coming back, so did not hold to worldly posessions.

2) He was a levite, and apparently a very encouraging person. He sold a field he owned and put the money at the apostles feet.

H. 1) They tried to decieve the apostles, and in doing so lied to God.

2) They died. The church reacted in 'great fear'.

I. 1) Many miraculous signs and wonders.

2) So that Peters shadow may hit them as they passed.

J. 1) An angel let them go. Then, at daybreak, they went to the temple courts and preached.

2) They were nearly put to death by the elders and priests. They ended up getting flogged, and rejocing for it.

K. 1) Grecian Jews (I had a bit of help with that, since my translation actuall reads 'Grecian Jews' not Hellenists. XD ) from among the dispersion. That their widows were being overlooked when the daily food allotment was handed out.

2) Tricky. I think so, since they were men "known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom" and were chosen to be helpers to the apostles in that, they would take care of the 'busywork' type of stuff while the apostles preached.

L. 1) A 'man full of God's grace and power' with the face of an angel. He was accused of blasphemy against Moses and God, and speaking against the temple.

2) Their history, and God's promises.

3) Resisting the Holy Spirit, the death of the prophets and Jesus.

4) They were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. They were breaking the Roman law on murder (as well as God's law on murder); they could not legally execute people for religous reason without a governmental say-so. They also formed an unruly mob.

5) Heaven opened, and Jesus standing at God's right hand. It's unusual because it doesn't happen everyday. :D Plus, living people don't normally get to see the glory of God in that fashion.

M. 1) Guarding or holding the robes of those participating.

2) They mourned deeply for him.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
A.
1. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake
2. Simon was a sorcerer, Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
3. Simon tried to purchase to power of the Holy Ghost. He was told to repent.

B.
1. An angel of the LORD.
2. He had a lot of authority and was trustworthy to manage all of the queen's treasure
3. Phillip taught him the gospel
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
CCGR, that's cool; I had not noticed that Jesus was standing when Stephen was martyred until you said something.

A.
1) They believed it, and were Baptised.
2) He was a sorcerer, and when he heard the message, he also believed and was baptised.
3) He thought he could buy the gift of God with money; that he had no part in the ministry of God, because his heart was not right with God.

B.
1) An angel.
2) That he worshipped God, but also that he was a trustworthy, honest individual.
3) He believed that Jesus was the Son of God.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah I always found that to be quite the honor, a standing ovation from Jesus Himself! :)

II. The conversion of Saul

A.
1. that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem
2. Jesus , Arise, and go into the city

B.
1. how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem
2. for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

C.
1. Because Saul was infamous for capturing Christians and now he was one of them!
2. proving that this is very Christ

D.
1. Then the disciples took him by night, and let [him] down by the wall in a basket.
2. They didn't believe that he was really a disciple
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Conversion of Saul.

A.
1) The authority to arrest anyone in Damascus who followed 'The way' and take them asprisoners to Jerusalem.

2) Jesus did. To go into the city and he would be told.

B.
1) That he had done great harm to the saints in Jerusalem and was coming their to arrest anyone who called on Jesus' name.

2) The he was His chosen instrument to carry Jesus' name before the gentiles, their kings and the people of Israel; and that he would suffer.

C.
1) Saul, who had recently been waging war on the church, was now claiming that Jesus was the son of God.

2) That Jesus is the Son of God.

D.
1) He was lowered by his followers through a hole in the wall while sitting in a basket.

2) I think they were afraid Saul was there to drag them before the high priest and imprison them. They had probably heard that he had been imprisoning them, as well as not caring a fig when Stephen was killed, but actually participated in his death.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
III The Witness of Peter

A.
1. Aeneas was bed-ridden and Peter told him that Jesus has made him whole and to get up and make his bed and he did!
2. The people saw what Peter did to Aeneas with the power from the Lord

B
1. She was full of good works
2. Many more believed in the Lord

C
1. Caesarea was the civilian and military capital
2. A devout man that was also a centurian
3. An angel of the Lord, And now send men to Joppa, and call for [one] Simon, whose surname is Peter:
4. He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side:
5. heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice [spake] unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, [that] call not thou common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

I think it means we can eat stuff that was previously deemed unclean. We can accompany people of all creeds too.

6. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Gentiles were being saved too!)

7. Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.

8. Peter retold his vision and how God worked through it
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
IV. The Example of the early church

A.
1. persecution
2. For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
3. They were sent relief, there was a famine

B.
1. To please the jews
2. An angel of the Lord rescued him. Mary, Mark's mom, Rhoda
3. the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
LAAAAAATE. Latey latey late. I wish I had a good reason, but my brain was just all farted out yesterday and I forgot. :\

The Witness of Peter.

A)
1. He was a bedridden paralytic. Jesus healed him.
2. They saw Aeneas walking.

B)
1. She was always doing good, and helping the poor. She was known for the robes and other clothing she made.
2. Peter told the other believers and the widows, and many people became believers.

C)
1. From the passage, I 'spose that it was a Roman City, with perhaps a Roman Regiment. Also that there were Romans, even soliders, who feared God there.
2. He and his family were devout and God-fearing; he was generous, and prayed three times daily.
3. An angel of God; he called Cornelius by name and said that his prayers and gifts had come up before God as a memorial offering, and that he was to send to Joppa for a man called Peter, and that he was at Smin the tanner's house by the sea.
4. Peter was living in Joppa with a tanner named Simon.
5. Peter saw something like a large sheet full of all of the animals in the earth, with God's voice telling him to kill and eat. I think it meant that the law of cleanliness had been 'lifted' or satisfied by Jesus' death, and that God did not show favoritism, but opens the hand of slavation to all men and nations.
6. That he had eaten and entered the house of uncircumsised men.
7. Peter defended himself by telling the truth, and telling of the vision God had shown him. He used the argumentation that, if God gave gentiles the Holy Spirit when the believed, who was he to think to oppose God?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The example of the Early church.

A) 1. Persecution in connection with the stoning of Stephen.

2. He encouraged the Antioch Christians to remain true to Jesus with all their hearts; he also found Paul in Tarsus, and with him taught great numbers of people.

3. A famine had been predicted be Agabus, and so the disciples, each according to their ability, decided to provide help. I think, from the stuff written later, this as either money or food or both.

B) 1. To please the Jews.

2. The church was praying for him earnestly; an angel came and rescued him from the guards, the chains, the prison cell and so on; a servant girl discovered he had been 'released', and God answered the prayers of the saints.

3. Because of his pride, an angel struck him down and he died by being eaten by worms (which is, by the way, one of the worser deaths I can think of).
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Part Three: The Gospel to the End of the Earth

I. Paul's First Missionary Journey
A. Barnabas and Saul are sent from Antioch
1. The Holy Spirit chose Barnabas and spoke to the disciples
2. To pray for and bless them

B. Ministry at Cyprus
1. The synagogues
2. Sergius Paulus, a prudent man, Elymas the sorcerer

C. Ministry at Antioch
1. They were invited to preach
2. A history lesson of the suffering of the Jews, the judges, King David and the lineage to Christ, His death and resurrection
3. They wanted them to preach again next Sabbath

D. Ministry at Iconium
1. the unbelieving Jews riled up the gentiles against Paul and Barnabus
2. preached and performed signs and miracles

E. Ministry at Lystra
1. Because some of the wonders they did were similar to the lore of their gods
2. The apostles are the witnesses left to proclaim the gospel and share it others

F. Ministry on the return trip
1. they returned again to Lystra, and [to] Iconium, and Antioch, Confirming the souls of the disciples, [and] exhorting them to continue in the faith,
2. they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

G. Report on the First Missionary journey
1. So everyone could hear about their journey and conversions and tribulation along the way
2. This was the first time the gentiles were exposed to the gospel and they received it pretty well
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Paul's first Missionary Journey.

A) 1. God. Through the Holy Spirit.
2. I think it was to either bless them or consecrate them.

B) 1. The Jewish synagogues.
2. Sergius wanted to hear the word of God; Elymas did not, and tried to stop Sergius from hearing it. Sergius also had an open heart for it, and Elymas, at least at first, had closed ears.

C) 1. To speak a word of encouragement to the Jews in the synagogue. I'm not sure why.
2. Paul basically pointed out that Jesus was the fulfillment of the OT prophecies and scriptures, proving he was the Messiah. And that by him, salvation was available for all.
3. The inhabitants of the city flocked to the messege and believed joyfully in droves.

D) 1.Venomously, poisoning the gentiles against the apostles.
2. They spoke boldly for the Lord, and did miraculous signs and wonders by Him.

E) 1. Hermes spoke for Zeus, so, as Paul did most of the talking, I'm guessing they assumed Barnabas was Zeus and Paul was just orating for him. They believed them gods because of all the miracles Jesus was doing through them.
2. God shows Himself by nature; rain, sun, gravity, the joy and happiness of random stuff, all show that a loving hand is guiding this world.

F) 1. Strengthened and encouraged the churches they had planted, as well as elders and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord.
2. With prayer and fasting,

G) 1. So they could tell of the fruits of their journey; had to be encouraging to the church members seeing how it turned out.
2. A preconsul had believed, which was rather big. It was also a major missionary trip through one of the hearts of gentiles worship of false gods. Paul and Barnabas had opened the door by spreading the truth and showing the power behind it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
III. Paul's Second Missionary Journey
A. Contention over John Mark
1. Paul didn't approve of taking Jon Mark. Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.
2. They went their separate ways, it was not amicable

B.
1. the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father [was] a Greek:
2. The jews would not approve of him otherwise because they knew his father was Greek

C.
1. man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
2. And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia,

D.
1. Paul was a Roman
2. By the river side, the city of Thyatira,
3. Because they exercised a demon that was profitable for the salve girl's master
4. He saw the earthquake in the jail cell and the hand of God upon Paul and wanted to follow the true God
5. Because they were treated harshly when their Roman citizenship permitted otherwise

E.
1. That Jesus is the true messiah
2. unbelieving jews gathered against them

F.
1. they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily
2. the Jews of Thessalonica, the brethren sent away Paul

G.
1. the city was wholly given to idolatry.
2. Paul preached there
3. Paul stated their thrir unknown god and the rest should be replaced with only the true God
4. some mocked but some were curious and wanted to hear more

H.
1. Aquila, Priscilla, tent makers
2. They didn't accept it so Paul preached to the gentiles
3. many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
4. This [fellow] persuadeth men to worship God contrary to the law.

I.
1. he had a vow.
2. Ephesus, Caesarea