Christian Man Asks Thirteen Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional Marriage Cake

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Usmc52002
Noob
Noob
Wow our world is going in a bad direction . End times are coming upon us .
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

-George Orwell
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
This thread is too much for me. :?
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Lazarus
CCGR addict
Usmc52002 wrote:Wow our world is going in a bad direction . End times are coming upon us .
I think you're hoping for this since you say it so often, but dude, I doubt God is getting too bent out of shape because some jerk wanted some poor sap who owned a bakery to print some nonsense on a stupid cake. Hold off on the wailing and gnashing of teeth until something really tragic happens, why don't you?
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Yeah I tried getting Heathen pride cakes at a few church bakeries but none of them would do it....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I don't really agree with his method. He's not just asking for a cake; he's obviously asking for an argument and working hard to get one. Also note, the writing that he requested on the cake was a little harsh. He would probably get a similar answer if he did something less upsetting, but still, definitely not an unbiased question.
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:Yeah I tried getting Heathen pride cakes at a few church bakeries but none of them would do it....
Still waiting on a reply for my Legalize Late Term Abortion cake from Lil St. Peter's Confectionery
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Emwok
CCGR addict
I thought it was kind of funny but if he's trying to make a point then he should probably use a different method.
Spoiler:

RoosterOnAStick
Emwok wrote:I thought it was kind of funny but if he's trying to make a point then he should probably use a different method.
Yeah, I agree.

The issue with this method is that this guy is asking to have a specific message rather than just a plain old wedding cake. He would have had a much better case if he asked for the latter. Then he would be able to claim that pro-gay bakeries are discriminating simply on account of him being a Christian. Instead the objection is due to the explicit request of a message that goes against the conscience of the bakery owners.

This opinion piece from the LA Times articulates this distinction better than I have I think. The topic is primarily about wedding photographers but it goes into how the situation with wedding photographers is different than the one of baking wedding cakes. The former can be easily argued as an expression of and concelebration in the event itself and thus protected as free speech, while the latter is (assuming no explicit message is being requested) not since it is merely making a food product and thus is not a form of speech at all. Naturally this standard applies both ways and the article makes that clear as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/dec/12 ... s-20131212
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
RoosterOnAStick wrote:Instead the objection is due to the explicit request of a message that goes against the conscience of the bakery owners.
Which is nothing at all like baking a wedding cake with a man - man cake topper when you're a Christian, amirite?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
XxMonkeesGirlxX
Noob
Noob
Christian? Hmm... Really... All I can say is Can't wait 'till we all get to heaven!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
This video was pretty good

RoosterOnAStick
ArcticFox wrote:
RoosterOnAStick wrote:Instead the objection is due to the explicit request of a message that goes against the conscience of the bakery owners.
Which is nothing at all like baking a wedding cake with a man - man cake topper when you're a Christian, amirite?
Good question...

It comes down there to where to draw the line first off. Personally to me that would be a relatively minor thing and not something worth denying service over. What I had in mind were more explicit messages as I have said before. Things more like an actual direct message of support gay marriage or something was what I had in mind. I understand others may feel different but that's where I draw the line.

Second, in these sort of more implicit situations like the one you mentioned I think a mindset or mercy would be the better route to take. Remember of course that mercy does not mean the action is condoned or considered ok. God gives us mercy, but that doesn't mean He is ok with what we do and it does not imply that it is deserved or merited. Is it better then to start a culture war over this type of situation or is it better to simply turn the other cheek so to speak? People in these situations I imagine aren't thinking about making a politically charged pro LGBT cake specifically or trying to stick it to Christians (especially if they aren't aware that the business owners are Christian). They just want a simple cake that anyone else would get.
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
Lazarus wrote:
Usmc52002 wrote:Wow our world is going in a bad direction . End times are coming upon us .
I think you're hoping for this since you say it so often, but dude, I doubt God is getting too bent out of shape because some jerk wanted some poor sap who owned a bakery to print some nonsense on a stupid cake. Hold off on the wailing and gnashing of teeth until something really tragic happens, why don't you?
Yes thank you.

Christians: Don't do stuff like this guy did. He was clearly making an inflammatory request. If you want to experiement, politely call various bakeries and make various requests. "Gay Marriage Is Wrong" is not a fair comparison to "Support Gay Marriage". Or better yet, spend your time getting to know gays and love and respect them. If gay marriage is legalized, it is not the beginning of the tribulation. If Christian business owners are sued and threatened and such for standing up for their beliefs, don't be surprised. Churchy people call it "persecution" and the vast majority of Christian Americans have it way better than some of our brothers and sisters in other countries.

Non-Christians: I'm sorry that some Christians are mean and hateful. But lots of us aren't.

Business Owners: I hope your right to run your business as you choose is protected. Please be respectful when you decline goods and services based on your values.

Lawmakers: How about we let business owners choose who they will serve and what goods and services they will offer?