Is "Theo" as a name blasphemous?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Beastbot
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Okay, I want to ask a question some may see as silly, but I searched and don't really see anything about this on the web.

I had a nephew born two days ago-- happy day!-- but his parents (one of whom is an atheist, the other I would describe as either pagan or heretical Christian, depending upon how you look at it-- her beliefs are a whole other discussion, I won't get into them here) decided to name him "Theo".

Now, "Theo" comes from the Greek word "Theos" meaning "God". (See: Theology, Theocracy, etc.) To be clear, Theo is his full name, not a nickname or shortened form of Theodore, which means "God's gift", or any other name that starts with "Theo-".

Am I being overly sensitive here, or do you think this is legitimately an issue? I really wish they had chosen Theodore instead...
Last updated March 13th
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I wouldn't think so. After all, many non-Christians name their children "Chris," probably without thinking about the origins of that name. And of course, "Jesus" (pronounced HAY-soos) is a pretty common name in many Hispanic countries.

If it was an intentional snub at God it would be one thing. But I have a feeling that most people will name their children more after older relatives, or celebrities, or because it sounds cool, without contemplating the origins of the name.
GethN7
Beastbot wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 am Okay, I want to ask a question some may see as silly, but I searched and don't really see anything about this on the web.

I had a nephew born two days ago-- happy day!-- but his parents (one of whom is an atheist, the other I would describe as either pagan or heretical Christian, depending upon how you look at it-- her beliefs are a whole other discussion, I won't get into them here) decided to name him "Theo".

Now, "Theo" comes from the Greek word "Theos" meaning "God". (See: Theology, Theocracy, etc.) To be clear, Theo is his full name, not a nickname or shortened form of Theodore, which means "God's gift", or any other name that starts with "Theo-".

Am I being overly sensitive here, or do you think this is legitimately an issue? I really wish they had chosen Theodore instead...
I'd say you're overthinking it.

Besides, we are all created in His Image, any attempt to name someone after a name for God as an insult to him would just backfire in His eyes, it's just further reminding the world who made us.
Beastbot
Gamer
Gamer
Good points, especially about the name "Jesus", I forgot about that one. (I've never known anyone personally that had that name, that's probably why.) Thanks for the advice, guys.
Last updated March 13th
J.K. Riki
Also even if it is, it isn't the kid's fault. If it was intentional to be a mockery of God then God will deal with that. He'll also probably use it for good, and to further the Kingdom. He likes to work that way. In either case, the kid will have his own choices to make in life. :)
Beastbot
Gamer
Gamer
J.K. Riki wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 pm Also even if it is, it isn't the kid's fault. If it was intentional to be a mockery of God then God will deal with that. He'll also probably use it for good, and to further the Kingdom. He likes to work that way. In either case, the kid will have his own choices to make in life. :)
Oh, I know that. My initial quandary (which, again, partially thanks to this thread I've solved) was whether it was OK for me to call him by his name (without a nickname or anything like that).
Last updated March 13th
HelenDavisM
Noob
Noob
Everyone else took the words out of my mouth. I am careful to give people names with positive meanings though because 'as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.'
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:23 am If it was an intentional snub at God it would be one thing. But I have a feeling that most people will name their children more after older relatives, or celebrities, or because it sounds cool, without contemplating the origins of the name.
J.K. Riki wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 pm Also even if it is, it isn't the kid's fault. If it was intentional to be a mockery of God then God will deal with that. He'll also probably use it for good, and to further the Kingdom.

I agree with the two above mentioned quotes 100%. I'd like to add this as well:

I think the child will never be charged for having a certain type of a name as they didn’t have the opportunity to choose it at birth. As far as the parents, it depends on where their heart was at. Think of people named after false gods like Isis or Princess Alah (names of real people might I ask.) What if they decided to become Christians when they grow up.

If they feel it is wrong, they could change their name.