When will the game be finished?

All Minecraft posts go here
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

When will the game be finished?

Postby Sstavix » Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 am

I've been thinking about this off and on, and I think one of the reasons why I don't play Minecraft as often as many other players is because of the constant updates. There have been many times when I've constructed a home or explored an elaborate world... and then they announce a new update. So for me to see the new features, I have to start over with a fresh world. So it ends up being a never-ending cycle of creation and abandonment.

I suppose there's some sort of philosophical meaning in that alone....

In any case, I'm wondering if there will ever be a point where the developers finally toss their hands in the air and say "It's done! We've perfected Minecraft as much as we can!" But what then? Will people then want to move on to the next and latest game? Is the cycle of never-ending updates a way to keep players interested in the game?

What are your thoughts - especially if you're a much more regular player than I am? Do you like this game model of constant updates and restarting from scratch? Or do you hope that someday Minecraft will finally end as a "finished" product?

J.K. Riki

Re: When will the game be finished?

Postby J.K. Riki » Fri May 17, 2019 4:55 pm

As a developer I can offer "the other side" if it's helpful. Basically in the modern gaming industry if you find a cash-cow, you milk it for pretty much "ever." Some companies do this with yearly updates but "new" games (EA - Madden) some with IPs (Nintendo - Mario) and some with never-ending patches and upgrades (like Minecraft). So basically until it is financially not reasonable to update it, they will never "finish" the game. They don't want to. They want to constantly get old players back in and new players thinking it is something new.

I don't particularly like the model, but it is where the industry is right now. Especially since new and original stuff generally doesn't do nearly as well as the old established types. People want what they're familiar with and will keep going to it even if it's not new or unique anymore. (Why we have so many Disney remakes now, as a matter of fact.)

Personally I liked Minecraft best a little after it released, before they made it more complicated. The added stuff is fun, but there was something so clean about the classic version.

Return to “Minecraft”