angels

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Praise
Noob
Noob
With Christmas holidays approaching, I'm bothered with all the angels being portrayed as females with wings. Don't know about you but my angels are mighty warriors!
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Hmm, have you read "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" by Frank Peretti?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Angels are probably some of the weirdest (and therefore coolest) parts of the Tanakh.

For example, the Ophanim are wheels within wheels that can roll in any direction, with eyes around the rim. The Hayyoth are cherubim that have four faces, one in each direction, and are human-like but with faces of a man, a lion, an ox and an eagle.

And lest you doubt wikipedia, Ezekiel Chapter 1, verses 4-21 is the description in question.

Crazy stuff.
oregorn1997
Gamer
Gamer
Location: CreeperVille Kansas (actually I live in Florida, but I thought that sounded better)
Who says angels can't be women? Who says they can't have wings? And who says that women angels with wings can't be bad-donkey warriors?

If I was God, that would be my army... And if I wasn't God, that would be pretty darn terrifying
I am the Slayer... Of creepers... maybe a skele or two... and occasionally a zombie...

Anyone want some gunpowder?
Praise
Noob
Noob
Yes I have read "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing The Darkness." It's been a long time since I've read them. I recall them being very good. I need to read them again.
Wintercross
Praise wrote:Yes I have read "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing The Darkness." It's been a long time since I've read them. I recall them being very good. I need to read them again.
The portrayal of Angels in those books was pretty good imo.
UsagiGlen
Noob
Noob
"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." (Hebrews 13:2, NIV)

Evidently angels can appear like humans if there's a good reason to do so. Maybe that's where the girly angel image comes from. Maybe they actually have appeared as ladies with wings and robes sometimes.

Even so, I'm sure they're just as powerful when they're disguised as us. They're so powerful that God once promised to send "an" angel ahead of Israel to ensure victory in battle. It only took one. Another time, two angels were sent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
appleseed2002
Noob
Noob
I think some angels do different things for instance, Gabriel went down as a messenger to Mary or like what usagiGlen said about the angels came down to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and another one would be disguised like in Hebrews 13:2.

Apple
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Nowhere in Scripture is any angel described as having wings... I think the reason they're so often portrayed in that way is because angels can fly, and artists probably added the wings as a way to fit the theme of a spiritual being who can fly.

Personally, I find the image of an angel (male or female) in full armor with enormous wings to be flat AWESOME, but that's my gamer nerd showing.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
UsagiGlen
Noob
Noob
Check out Isaiah 6. It describes seraphim that have 6 wings. There are so many things we don't know though, like whether some of the angels always look the same, or whether there are different categories of angels with different forms, or whether Isaiah's visions are partly symbolic. It doesn't sound very much like the vivid symbolism in Revelation or Daniel to me though.

Revelation 4 describes some creatures with the heads of animals, 6 wings each, and eyes all over them. Revelation's visions include a lot more obvious symbolism overall though, so there's a greater chance that the features described are symbolic. The creatures in Revelation are doing basically the same thing that the seraphim in Isaiah are doing. They're praising God with very similar words. Whatever they are, they're cool :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I stand corrected, although it's worth noting that the 6 wings symbolism is still very different from the typical angel as depicted with 2 wings.

I've often wondered at that symbolism, since it seems to be a repeating pattern.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Expat_PM
Noob
Noob
Okay, a lot to talk about in this thread.
Yes, Ezekiel has some truly strange stuff in it - but what an amazing book. Wow. Just plain wow. I love Chapter 37 - the dry bones and I wonder what happened to all those people after they were brought back to life? did they just live normal lives or what?

This Present Darkness is one of my all time favorite books and did more to open my eyes to the spirit world that is all around us than just about any single other thing (except of course God). Rumors float around from time to time about turning it into a movie. Maybe Nicolas Cage could be in it (now that he's played the lead in the remake of Left Behind).

Angels are, as someone on here said, "bad-donkey" dudes. There are scads of tales of them conquering the enemy again and again. I have a couple cool angel stories I may share sometime but not today. I see no reason why they couldn't look like anything and as Glen pointed out, the bible does admonish us to "be careful lest you entertain one unaware." So I think they could look like anything and there are plenty of freaky descriptions of them in the bible.

In general, I like to think of them as conventional warrior archetype but I'm sure that's just my small mind locking me into what's comfortable. I just pray that they are surrounding us, watching over us (especially my kids), keeping the enemy at bay, and swinging that flaming sword on our behalf!
Peace,
Expat_PM

Perhaps today!
Revelation 1:7
lukee123321
Noob
Noob
Its true all of the angels in the bible were male. But just focus on Jesus