ROA: Part 1, The Lone Tower

fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
((DF32: I wanted to add a dramatic emphasis on your character so I wrote what he saw and thought and just before the arrow hit home, Crimson caught the arrow.))
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
((ooooh, alright. I was very confused for a minute there, lol. ))
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
This is the part where the awful realization of having taken life hits home.

Or at least... is supposed to.

But it doesn't.

Guy regrets only that he didn't kill more of them.

He stares at the blade in his hands. It isn't a device anymore. It isn't even a tool or even a weapon. It's the power to kill, to destroy evil. A power that, at last, he has exercised. He wipes the blood and ichor from the blade on the rags the goblin had been using for clothing and sheathes it regretfully. He then reaches into a pocket within his tunic and removes a letter, sealed with the wax sigil of Lord Guy d'Lyonesse, Battle Lord of Bretonnia and Commander of The King's Hammer. He had been told to read this only after his sword was blooded. He breaks the seal.

"My son,

If you are reading this, then it is because you have survived your first true taste of battle. I know that you would not break your word and read it before then. It also means that you lived, as I know you would. I have faith in you that you have acted, and will continue to act with honor and dignity, and you will fulfill your duty. Remember that your first and only duty right now is to those who you travel with. You are to put their lives before your own, always. Death in battle is not to be feared. It is the destiny of most warriors, especially those with such a calling as the one we share. We do not crave death, but we do not flinch from it either. We, unlike most, know that so long as we remain true, honorable and humble, we will be embraced in death by the arms of our Creator. There can be no greater reward for faithful service.

I caution you, my son... While it is thrilling to be in battle and to know you act for good, do not allow your thirst for righteous combat to become bloodlust. Take pride in your victories, but do not be reckless and do not seek to shed blood for its own sake. It is a terrible thing we do, but necessary. The thrill of battle is a tool to be used to drive us, encourage us, to control fear and to make us bold, but it is only a tool. Do not seek after it as a reward.

Today, we rode into battle against the Druchii. We drove them back, destroying most of them, as we are commanded to do by the King. I was saddened that it was not possible for you to ride at my side. You will, when you return from your quest. It is this hope that comforts me when you are away. I am very proud of you, my son. Guard your honor. Guard your allies. Dream of victory.

G"

Guy folds the note and puts it carefully back into the pocket. He regards the dead goblins for a moment, then looks over at Livia to be sure she is unharmed. Satisfied, he joins Kratimos.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
CrimsonBlade coyly smiles back at Kratimos not sure exactly how she managed to catch that arrow and shoot it back swiftly and accurately. It's either sheer luck or perhaps the mark has something to do with it. It's not like she's had years of training. Either case, she's just thankful that everyone seems to be alright. Awesome teamwork everyone. What a bloody mess. Everyone is okay right? Thanks to Livia my wound is much better but I'll be a little slower until I'm fully recovered. ((how do I get hit points back? food, potions?))

Crimson walks over towards the bodies to see if there is any loot worth claiming.

Search

[dice]1[/dice]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
((it's a d20 roll))
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
((sweet! that d8 roll was sucky anyways, much happier now))
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
((Haha, yeah. Good new roll. That last d8 roll couldn't even find the bodies))
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minather, a little stunned by his brush with death, simply sits down and bows his head in deep thought.
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
You search the bodies. On the corpses you gather 5 daggers, mediocre quality. 4 short swords, mediocre quality. 1 short bow. 6 arrows. 1 vial of an unidentified liquid. 50 silver pieces.

Their armor and clothing is obviously not worth keeping and is too small for anyone in the party to wear. Plus is smells like goblin.

Off in the distance a storm begins to roar.

Spot Check DC 18
Spoiler:
In the flashes of lightning, at the peak of a mountain far far off in the distance, you swear you can make out the silhouette of a dark tower.
The ground has it's fill of the goblin blood as it begins to pool. The greenish fluid stinks, like the wicked creatures skin.

Spot DC 16
Spoiler:
Though it's hard to make out, on the forearm of one of the goblins is a tattoo. It's a hand clutching an eye. Roll a DC 20 Knowledge Arcane check.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Spot 1:
[dice]0[/dice]

Spot 2:
[dice]1[/dice]

Kratimos keeps his eyes open, but sees nothing of interest. When Guy walks up besides him, Kratimos puts a hand on the younger man's shoulder.
"First time taking a life?" He asks, as he looks into his eyes. No fear, no wavering, no regret. Was it confidence he saw? A lust for battle? Kratimos smiles. "Looks like you have some of your father's fervor. You might just have a knack for this whole thing. You did well."
Last edited by ArchAngel on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Spot 1: [dice]0[/dice]

Spot 2: [dice]1[/dice]

((These dice are playing me...))
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spot 1:
[dice]0[/dice]

Spot 2:
[dice]1[/dice]

Minather gives a look of surprise muddled with relief as he looks in the distance.

We may be closer to our goal than we think. he remarks.

He fumbles with his locket for several minutes while the party rests.
DollFaceKilla
Are you human?: Not likely
Livia smiles big when she notices Guy looking her way. She stands up, brushes off her armor and makes sure everything is back securely in her packs.

Spot Check 1:
[dice]0[/dice]

Spot Check 2:
[dice]1[/dice]

Knowledge Arcana:
[dice]2[/dice]
ROA: Livia

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Livia
Spoiler:
If you like, you can point it out to the other party members if they have a better knowledge arcane check. Otherwise, you can keep it to yourself if you want.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spot Check 1
[dice]0[/dice]

Spot Check 2
[dice]1[/dice]

Arcane
[dice]2[/dice]