sinning to not marry a drunken unbeliever?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
HelenDavisM
Noob
Noob
Someone told me i sinned to not agree to marry a drunk. As someone now happily married, I am grateful i turned down this drunk, who was also an atheist. The person who told me to marry the drunk said it was 'God's answer to prayer' and 'how do you know God didn't want you to save him?'

Any thoughts? i didn't even LIKE the guy who asked me, not even a tiny bit, so my thoughts are why enter into something where i would have not only been lying to him 24/7 but also where i could have gotten killed? Anyone with half a brain and common sense knows alcoholism and domestic violence are often linked.

This person was my parent's housekeeper; and they fired her for her advice. She also told my parents they sinned to fire her. My two aunts, both of whom have been involved with druggies or drunks bothsaid 'Good for them for firing her! They were looking out for you."

what are your thoughts?
Beastbot
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
I know this is kinda an old post, but the Bible forbids marriage between believers and non-believers:

2 Corinthians 6:14: "Do not be unequally yoked [often read as referring to marrying] together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?” (NKJV)"

1 Corinthians 7 mentions that if you are already in a relationship with a nonbeliever not to divorce them, but that's a different matter.
Last updated March 13th
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
You dodged a bullet there...
Muctancer67
Noob
Noob
HelenDavisM wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm Someone told me i sinned to not agree to marry a drunk. As someone now happily married, I am grateful i turned down this drunk, who was also an atheist. The person who told me to marry the drunk said it was 'God's answer to prayer' and 'how do you know God didn't want you to save him?'

Any thoughts? i didn't even LIKE the guy who asked me, not even a tiny bit, so my thoughts are why enter into something where i would have not only been lying to him 24/7 but also where i could have gotten killed? Anyone with half a brain and common sense knows alcoholism and domestic violence are often linked.

This person was my parent's housekeeper; and they fired her for her advice. She also told my parents they sinned to fire her. My two aunts, both of whom have been involved with druggies or drunks bothsaid 'Good for them for firing her! They were looking out for you."

what are your thoughts?
Firstly, it's important to remember that marriage is a serious commitment that should be entered into for the right reasons. Choosing a life partner should be based on factors such as shared values, mutual respect, love, and compatibility, rather than pressure or obligation from others. It's also important to consider the potential risks and challenges that could arise in a relationship, especially in situations where substance abuse and domestic violence are present.
Secondly, it's not anyone's place to dictate what is or isn't God's answer to prayer. God gives us free will, and we are responsible for our own choices and actions.

Thirdly, it's important to prioritize your own safety and well-being in any relationship. If you don't feel comfortable or safe with someone, it's best to end the relationship rather than risking harm or danger.

Ultimately, the decision to marry someone should be based on love, respect, and a genuine desire to build a life together. It's not something that should be entered into lightly or as a means of "saving" someone.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
HelenDavisM wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm The person who told me to marry the drunk said it was 'God's answer to prayer' and 'how do you know God didn't want you to save him?'
One does not need other people to interpret God's answers to prayer for them. The Holy Spirit is pretty good at that.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens