Matthew 25 - The least of these and virgins

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Comotto
How does "...the least of these..." and virgins apply to the recent " s...hole " comment?

It seems consensus would have ' the least ' be Christians, so Mother Theresa was incorrect ministering to the " s..holes ". Then how do you reconcile Jesus' concern for the Samaritan women?

Do we turn our backs on the unready and unvigilant and only be concerned with our own preparedness?

Discuss

CARZ
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I think one important thing to keep in mind is that Jesus was giving instructions to each one of us - or at least those who wish to take upon themselves the title of "Christian." It is up to us to attend to the poor, the hurt and hurting, and those who need us to step in to represent Him. We should not expect or rely upon the government to do this, and I think it's prudent to consider Christ's admonition to "render unto Caesar" not just taxes, but our salvation.

We should not expect the government to serve as our moral authority. I would even go as far as say we can't rely on the government to function in a moral fashion. The example that Jesus Christ was for us to follow as individuals, and we should always strive to do the right, moral thing regardless of what "Caesar" rules.

Even if that "Caesar" is a multi-millionaire real estate tycoon. ;) I think it should go without saying that Donald Trump is not Jesus Christ. :lol:
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I agree with SStavix
Comotto
ccgr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 am I agree with SStavix
Did he say we are to help the least of the Christians or the least of humanity?

CARZ
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I took it as anyone in need
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 am I took it as anyone in need
Exactly. That's why Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan. We should do whatever we can to help those around us.

Also take note, I use "we" as individuals, not "we" as in the government, or our society, or even our churches. I resoundly reject the notion of collective salvation. We will be judged as individuals, and not by the actions of other people.
Comotto
Sstavix wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm
ccgr wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 am I took it as anyone in need
Exactly. That's why Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan. We should do whatever we can to help those around us.

Also take note, I use "we" as individuals, not "we" as in the government, or our society, or even our churches. I resoundly reject the notion of collective salvation. We will be judged as individuals, and not by the actions of other people.
As per your request, I will not post the exact references, but researching the subject matter with your browser will return a number of bible websites that maintain the context to be ' the least of my brethren or brothers ' which means only other Christians.

CARZ
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Comotto wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm As per your request, I will not post the exact references, but researching the subject matter with your browser will return a number of bible websites that maintain the context to be ' the least of my brethren or brothers ' which means only other Christians.
You did bring up the example of Mother Teresa though, which I think is a good example for this discussion. She traveled to Calcutta because God called her to help people in need there - and there are a lot of people in need there. But would she be so greatly revered - even a candidate for sainthood - if she turned people away simply because they were not Christians?

I would say that the authors of these other Bible websites need to go back and read their Bibles again, and especially ponder Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan. Because if their stance is that they, as Christians, should ignore other people simply because they are not brethren in their faith, then they are also ignoring the example that Christ gave us.
Comotto
Sstavix wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 am
Comotto wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm As per your request, I will not post the exact references, but researching the subject matter with your browser will return a number of bible websites that maintain the context to be ' the least of my brethren or brothers ' which means only other Christians.
You did bring up the example of Mother Teresa though, which I think is a good example for this discussion. She traveled to Calcutta because God called her to help people in need there - and there are a lot of people in need there. But would she be so greatly revered - even a candidate for sainthood - if she turned people away simply because they were not Christians?

I would say that the authors of these other Bible websites need to go back and read their Bibles again, and especially ponder Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan. Because if their stance is that they, as Christians, should ignore other people simply because they are not brethren in their faith, then they are also ignoring the example that Christ gave us.
Agreed.

CARZ
J.K. Riki
Sstavix wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:03 am
We should not expect the government to serve as our moral authority.

Well said! I've been watching so many people put their hope and faith into politics lately, like if we JUST manage to perfect that human system then everything will suddenly be okay. It's a beautiful thing to remember the individuality of God's calling, and how it doesn't matter what anyone around us is (or isn't) doing, we still have our own Will to align with His.