Help me compile a list of movies to show my kids

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Jay and I want to be better parents and expose our children to classic movies along with classic videos games. Last weekend they all installed Morrowind and we enjoyed E.T. as a family. It's time to show my kids more classic movies, but I can use your help in compiling a list of MUST SEE films. Bear in mind that my youngest is 9 so the more family friendly, the better.

Here's my current list:

Adventures in Babysitting
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
Ghostbusters
Goonies
Indiana Jones
Little Shop of Horrors
Short Circuit

We have already showed them Gremlins, Princess Bride, Kung Pow, Star Wars, Karate Kid, Lord of the Rings, Space Balls, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and most of the Disney and Studio Ghibli movies

Open to more suggestions
Sstavix
CCGR addict
The Indiana Jones series can have some pretty gruesome, scary parts. I'd hesitate to show those to my kids.

One film that we recently watched - that my kids absolutely loved - was The Iron Giant. It's definitely a must-see on my list. It is on Netflix, so if you've got that, it'll be easy to find.

My wife is thinking some classic musicals might be a good idea. The Sound of Music, the Happiest Millionaire, Mary Poppins (unless that was included as Disney), Annie, Phantom of the Opera (the 2004 version starring Gerard Butler), perhaps even Little Shop of Horrors.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's been a while since I saw Indiana Jones, I do remember the monkey brains scene :D Jurassic Park scared 2/3 of them I wonder how they'll fare with a man eating plant :)

I haven't seen Phantom of the Opera. We do own Mary Poppins though.
qshop
Minecraft Server Admin
One of my favorite movie series, is the Narnia series. I highly recommend watching them. :D
qshop1

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight

Prism: Minecraft Admin
J.K. Riki
Pinocchio. The 2D Disney animated one. Scary bits and all. It may be the greatest animated film ever made (animation wise) and before the kids get suckered into the whole 3D animation thing, 2D should be part of their lives! :)

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Will have to ask if they saw Pinocchio

Showed them Annie tonight and they enjoyed it. Forgot about the language in that one (d*mn, GD)
ZanySauce
Gamer
Gamer
I have two underrated ones in my opinion.

1. Meet the Robinsons

It's a 3D animated Disney movie about an orphan boy genius (Not Jimmy Neutron) who is visited by another boy from the future. It's pretty good and I really like the message about family and friendship. Most people don't believe me when I say it's Disney because of how different it is from other Disney movies of it's time.

2. Kubo and the Two Strings

A stop motion movie that looks so good you would swear it they spent a billion dollars on CG. This didn't get much press either, being trumped by the likes of Mona, Finding Dory and Storks. However, I still think it is one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. It's made by the same people who made Coraline, but this movie is slightly less scary. Funny enough, this movie as well as Meet the Robinsons has morals about family.
AKA ZanyAmoeba :mrgreen:

Ask Amoeba is now officially defunct. Sorry :(

Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 NLT
Comotto
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/ ... ath=181_25

My favorites - Toy Story, Short Circuit, LEGO movies, Willy Wonka, Original Adam West ' Batman ' movie ( 60s ), Monsters Inc.

I would also check Christian movie review websites.

CARZ
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Will add Short Circuit to the list, that's a good one!

We own the Narnia movies and my kids enjoyed Kubo, I think the saw Meet the Robinsons too.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
On our trip we showed the kids Flight of the Navigator and tonight we watched Back to the Future, both great movies from the 80s!
Bergkampdude
Noob
Noob
I don't know what age your kids are but I would definitely show them the Lion King.
Many life lessons have been inbedded into this amazing movie.

Furthermore I would show them the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Somehow it makes me think of how little I am but also how much my efforts can mean.