Allhallowtide

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Comotto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allhallowtide

Christian history of Halloween.

CARZ
RemnantRD
Noob
Noob
Sorry to bring this topic back up as it hasn't been posted on for over a year but...

Scripturally, there is no commandment to observe this day.
Scripturally, there is a lot that the bible says in regard to the traditions and events that tell us NOT to partake in it.
Shall we observe Halloween or "Samhein" just because traditions have made it easier for us to do so?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Scripture doesn't tell me to go to Church on Sunday*, play chess or eat peanut butter sandwiches, but I do all of those things without worrying that I'm doing something wrong just because it isn't written somewhere.

That said, there are things associated with Halloween that we ought to avoid as Christians. Things like seances, ouija boards, etc. are all things we're told to avoid because of the resemblance they bear to witchcraft and other associated no-nos.

On the other hand, if I dress up as an Imperial Space Marine to hand out candy, or go to a party at the church, that's fine.

Every person must decide for themselves what their conscience tells them in terms of their activities on Halloween, if they participate in any at all. If you find it's spiritually harmful to you to attend a Halloween party or give out candy, then don't. No worries. At the same time, don't come and preach fire and damnation at me if I do choose to.

A few years ago a local shopping mall hosted an event where the various retailers would give out candy to trick-or-treaters. The idea was it would be safer and warmer for the kids. Not a bad idea, IMHO. But the Christian bookstore in that mall chose not to participate... which is fine they didn't have to... but what they also didn't have to do, and shouldn't have done, was to post an employee in the front of the store to sternly scold children who approached the store and lecture them about the evils of Halloween and the sin they were committing. That crossed a line and was highly inappropriate. Not only does it galvanize people against Christians in general, it may have also damaged the faith of some of those kids because now they'll associate Christianity with a mean guy who ruined their trick-or-treating fun one Halloween. If I were the parent of one of those kids I'd have a hard time not knocking that guy's teeth down his throat for talking to my child that way.

*No, it doesn't. Look for yourself. 8)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
RemnantRD
Noob
Noob
Scripture doesn't tell us a lot of things. This you are correct about.
However, scripture does tell us a lot of things which we can use to examine what we are doing to see if it pleases God. Yes, the original Sabbath for example was probably on Saturday. However, in the dynamic of the new covenant in Christ Jesus, He is our Sabbath rest. We can worship Him every day or choose to hold service on any day.

Not saying that you did this, but I find it very Interesting how people always jump to the conclusion that people are judging them when scriptural truths are given. Perhaps the individual reads the information and finds that it doesn't harmonize with their own lives.. and the assumption is that the individual giving the information is judging their heart for their actions? This isn't preaching damnation and brimstone, but perhaps like the Israelites of old, when the prophets and judges came along to warn God's people

No, I will not judge someone's heart for partaking in Halloween. Granted, the only judgment we are called never to make is judgment of the heart. I would make the argument that pointing out error or sin and letting a fellow believer know about it so they can make changes in their lives is not judgment, but love.

However, once a Christian does even some cursory research regarding the origins of Halloween (and they aren't Christian, even if people created days to coincide with it hundreds of years ago) then yes, they have a choice to make regarding the practice thereof. Simply giving facts about Halloween and its demonic origins does not automatically judge other Christians for doing it. Saying that Christians shouldn't partake in something doesn't mean one judges another for doing something.

The example you gave of the mall and the person scolding children did indeed cross a line. Educating children about Halloween does not cross a line if offered and accepted. Perhaps the employee should have offered some information regarding Halloween instead of scolding the children. To give the truth however, is indeed love.

You stated that every person must decide for themselves based on their conscience. I would double down instead that every person has a choice to make and decide for themselves, not based on their conscience, but by the word of God and the Holy Spirit.
Comotto
It seems we may have confused this event with celebrating the passing of our Christian heroes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Venice