Future of an 18 year old.

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ImperialR
Well...(sigh) I'm 18, and my dad doesn't want me to go to college until next august. I grew up homeschooled, and...I really had hopes for college, I want to go to a Christian one, and I was thinking Asbury since it's closer than others. I want to get ready to serve God, and I...Want to find the girl for me there.

My dad...He gets upset at me for...Several reasons, if I use the wrong tone of voice, make the wrong sigh-based noise when dealing with him, if I disagree about some key things I can be assured he'll get upset...I won't mention any more of it.

Just, pray for me, that God handles my life the way he wills it to be handled. And that I only do what he wills with it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
praying, keep us posted.
ImperialR
ccgr wrote:praying, keep us posted.
Thank you.

God bless you.
centaurianmudpig
Noob
Noob
You are in my prayers. Remember, it's all in God's time and will use your experiences to strengthen you so that you may help others.
Woiv
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
Praying!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

o CCGR forum moderator.
ImperialR
Thank you for your support and prayers.

My father is very...Let's say particular, and doesn't like it when people stray from what he wants them to do. I'm used to it, and forgive him for it, fully so.

What I'm going to do, is wait, I know God is in control, and his will shall be done.

Pretty much my greatest fear is not doing with my life what God meant for me to do with it. :/ So that's one of the reasons picking the right college is so important to me. I...I must confess that I haven't really...Done anything I consider of note for God in all my 18 years, and I know I need to.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Let's just say that if God has something he intends for you to do,He'll get the message across. He did that for me with this website ;)
Emwok
CCGR addict
I have a friend that is in a somewhat similar situation. I won't get into specifics because I feel it may be disrespectful, but I think I somewhat understand where you're coming from. I'll certainly be praying for you.
Spoiler:

ImperialR
Emwok wrote:I have a friend that is in a somewhat similar situation. I won't get into specifics because I feel it may be disrespectful, but I think I somewhat understand where you're coming from. I'll certainly be praying for you.
Thank you. You've been very kind and respectful, things can get better with my dad when the weather cools down, so it may be better to wait to discuss any of it with him.

I agitate him some days and really make him upset, I don't want to, and I've prayed about it, hopefully It will stop soon.

I really have three major options, I can get a year free at Pensacola Christian College, but due to some...Moral concerns I know I don't deserve the free year. Plus I have read some...Negative things about that place.

Asbury is roughly a bit further than where my brother went to college, but it is expensive (but I know God will help take care of that) and...I had some reason I felt that it wasn't right for me...

And one time after I prayed about it, I saw an ad for Valor Christian College on TV, I live in northren Kentucky, and it's up in Columbus Ohio though.
Emwok
CCGR addict
This is mostly academic advice, but I hope it's helpful. Another friend of mine is in medical school down in Miami. He told me that some schools are looking for people pursuing certain specified degrees, and you could probably find a school for what you're wanting to do. If I understand this whole idea correctly, they will pay for a good portion of your tuition, books, room & board, etc just so that you will come to their school. He is down in Miami (moved there from Texas) because of this, I think. It's certainly something to keep in mind with college being so expensive now.

Now I don't know what you're wanting to do, but I personally wouldn't mind moving to another state if the school is affordable and morally reliable. I know there are several large schools in Texas with large Christian communities, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a chapter of Cru (a Christian college ministry) at just about any school you look at. I'm at a community college, and we have a small Cru chapter on our campus that meets for teaching and worship throughout the week. I don't meet at Cru, but I have another Bible study that I go to. It certainly helps to keep things in perspective and I'd highly recommend finding a Christian group of some sort wherever you go.

Just some thoughts, hope they help. :)

Edit: Added a sentence or so to complete a thought.
Spoiler:

WisteriaWillows
Noob
Noob
Emwok has a good line to follow: Pick a major based (mostly on prayer, but also) on where you can get your schooling paid for.

Tyson's is huge in Northwest Arkansas. At the U of Arkansas, you can get big scholarships in poultry science.

Some hospitals will pay for you to get a Bachelors of Nursing if you agree to work for them after a period of time. (You'd get a free RN)
Lower level: There's a little vocational school that teaches people to be certified nurse aides, here. Nursing homes are so desperate for aides that you can show up at the class without even calling ahead, get an immediate scholarship that pays for the five week course, and then you have a job waiting for you after the course is over. It would be a good way to make some money while you are waiting for college.

When I googled "Most In-Demand Jobs", RN was at the top of the list.

Side note: My father was VERY demanding and controlling. I did not handle it well, like you are. We fought constantly. Once I was out of the house, we slowly started getting along. When I was 25, we had a pleasant conversation about my teen years. I forgave him for being my father and he forgave me for being born. We get along beautifully now. There IS hope :)
Emwok
CCGR addict
Another high demand major right now is programming. One of my best friends is doing programming and he told me that there is a severe shortage of programmers right now. It's not particularly hard to learn (most languages at least... Java's pretty easy I think), but it takes a lot of time to write code.
Spoiler:

Avinson
Noob
Noob
Given a year of prep and praying...you would be astonished to know how much better your experience at college will be. I took two years to prep myself and it made a massive difference in what I was able to get out of my college experience when I did go.
I'll pray for ya. I know how long even a semester wait can feel when you are younger...when you get older you'll look back and laugh at how fast entire seasons sail by :-3 I'm excited for ya...be patient k
Seek God 1st and all else will be given you :-)