Ask the viking

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
did the vikings invade England because of its riches and lack of organized army OR did they do it cause they love British comedy
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
Jorgmeisterwork
storm wrote:did the vikings invade England because of its riches and lack of organized army OR did they do it cause they love British comedy
I wil lhave to read some of the history to remmember that :)

For the time being, I answer You know it was many raids, I think it was different motivations. Some wanted just goods and slaves, other wanted land. It was an epic battle that one of the viking kings lost, Battle at Stamford Bridge, who was known for ending the viking era (but it was viking interventions in England later too) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge

King Harald Hardraade wanted the English throne, so he had greater plans than just riches or comedy haha. What may intereset you he had support from the English king's Brother. So it wasnt just a crazy idea after a midnight party. Many People wanted the English throne.
I dont knwo if we can say England lacked an organized army. They waited for an invasion of france when they learned aobut the Norwegian invasion, and ran up to meet "us" in just 4 days, taking the Norwegian viking army by surprise and endning the Whole army. But, the englsih king died himself only few weeks later in Battle With the invaders from normandy.
-read the wiki article for a good esplanation :)

I dont know If we should Call the usual raids for invasions.. so i will say the vikings only invaded England when they wanted to settle it ;)

Well I dont know if it existed a such thing as british comedy back then, at least not according to what we call typically British comedy today.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
well if I remember my history the vikings settled a lot of the coastal areas which have viking based names today from streets to towns
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
Jorgmeisterwork
storm wrote:well if I remember my history the vikings settled a lot of the coastal areas which have viking based names today from streets to towns
"Thaats correct!" *whoosh*
storm
Gamer
Gamer
Jorgmeisterwork wrote:
storm wrote:well if I remember my history the vikings settled a lot of the coastal areas which have viking based names today from streets to towns
yeah we Irish were a bit tougher :lol:
Jorgmeisterwork
storm wrote:
Jorgmeisterwork wrote:
yeah we Irish were a bit tougher :lol:
/me is confused
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
What about Vikings vs. Dragons?
Jorgmeisterwork
Chozon1 wrote:What about Vikings vs. Dragons?
Vikings wins :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I believe it. Thought historically, it took an entire Roman legion to down a dragon, and only then by dropping a mountain on it. So...I don't know.

Cupcake throwing?
Jorgmeisterwork
Chozon1 wrote:I believe it. Thought historically, it took an entire Roman legion to down a dragon, and only then by dropping a mountain on it. So...I don't know.

Cupcake throwing?
Cupcake eating ;)
Eagle Eyes
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
How are you doing?
Never judge a book by it's cover
and don't underestimate them either.