SNL attacks Christianity

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
ArcticFox wrote:
ChickenSoup wrote: Once again, they're satirizing a select segment of society. I don't think they're obligated to dumb it down for people. If people use SNL skits as a basis for the formation of their political and religious opinions, that's not SNL's fault, is it?
I don't know. Is it? SNL is the reason a surprising number of people think Sarah Palin said "I can see Russia from my house!" which, as I mentioned earlier, was also quoted by Wolf Blitzer of CNN. SNL can't possibly be unaware of the level of influence they have.
So that's Wolf Blitzer's fault.
ChickenSoup wrote: I also disagree on the sentiment that it's bad form to satirize select groups in media meant for general distribution (even if it's really on a nominal basis). That's the point of satire, isn't it? To make witty/funny cultural or personal criticisms? I know your counter-argument was "yeah, but this wasn't even criticizing what people are actually like," but my two comments on that are 1) I know people who ARE like that, even if they're a minority, and 2) once again, that's a criticism we should have of SNL's writing, not the principle of generally distributed media satirizing a group.
Do you suppose people who are ready to use this skit as an example of how Christians are will make much effort to differentiate between people like the ones you know and the others? I've never once seen someone rail about Christians and make an effort to acknowledge that we aren't all a single homogeneous group.
I mean, you could say the same thing about Christian propaganda in regards to atheists or even other Christians who believe in, say, evolution. My own family and some friends from high school are Exhibit A for that. It's the same thing: a cheap way to say "Heh, THOSE people, right?" and get some laughs.

Anyway, once again:
Do you suppose people who are ready to use this skit as an example of how Christians are will make much effort to differentiate between people like the ones you know and the others?
So you admit that your criticism is people who take skits and use that to form the basis of their opinions?
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote: So that's Wolf Blitzer's fault.
So who's to blame when nobody called him on it? Nobody called CNN on it? Was there a retraction? Did anyone even care?
ChickenSoup wrote: I mean, you could say the same thing about Christian propaganda in regards to atheists or even other Christians who believe in, say, evolution. My own family and some friends from high school are Exhibit A for that. It's the same thing: a cheap way to say "Heh, THOSE people, right?" and get some laughs.
So is that helping matters?
ChickenSoup wrote: So you admit that your criticism is people who take skits and use that to form the basis of their opinions?
I don't know what you mean by "admit." I'm not aware of having denied that. But do you honestly believe that the people who write this stuff don't know how it will be perceived? I mean, obviously there's no shortage of people who will rush to defend them and try to sell the idea that they're just innocent satirists who have no earthly idea how the material will be regarded by the public, and should bear no blame for it at all.

Why do you guys have such a problem with Christians finding sloppy satire like this annoying? What drives you to defend SNL's skit so zealously, especially when you don't even like SNL?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ArcticFox wrote:
So who's to blame when nobody called him on it? Nobody called CNN on it? Was there a retraction? Did anyone even care?
This IS CNN we're talking about here...
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote: This IS CNN we're talking about here...
Touche'
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:
And that IS a problem--but, once again, not directly related to an SNL skit. Mostly just that American news, left and right, is largely just utter trash.
ChickenSoup wrote: I mean, you could say the same thing about Christian propaganda in regards to atheists or even other Christians who believe in, say, evolution. My own family and some friends from high school are Exhibit A for that. It's the same thing: a cheap way to say "Heh, THOSE people, right?" and get some laughs.
So is that helping matters?
Didn't say it was. I'm saying the widespread reaction to the SNL skit was hypocritical. And, to a lesser extent (in terms of how I've seen people acting), because I'm tired of the attitude among that it's all fun and games for free speech until it starts to turn against conservatives.
ChickenSoup wrote: So you admit that your criticism is people who take skits and use that to form the basis of their opinions?
I don't know what you mean by "admit." I'm not aware of having denied that. But do you honestly believe that the people who write this stuff don't know how it will be perceived? I mean, obviously there's no shortage of people who will rush to defend them and try to sell the idea that they're just innocent satirists who have no earthly idea how the material will be regarded by the public, and should bear no blame for it at all.
It's not their job to dumb themselves down to the level where no one will take it the wrong way. And while I'm not sticking my head in the sand and saying "The media would never deceive us!", I also don't think there's a team of evil liberal atheists snickering to themselves and thinking "maybe THIS will destabilize the American family, TEE HEE!"
Why do you guys have such a problem with Christians finding sloppy satire like this annoying? What drives you to defend SNL's skit so zealously, especially when you don't even like SNL?
Because the criticism ISN'T "this is sloppy satire," with nuanced opinions about how cultural criticism should be conducted. It's clickbaity stuff like "SNL attacks Christianity"
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote: And that IS a problem--but, once again, not directly related to an SNL skit. Mostly just that American news, left and right, is largely just utter trash.
Can't argue with that. The problem is people still listen to it.
ChickenSoup wrote: Didn't say it was. I'm saying the widespread reaction to the SNL skit was hypocritical. And, to a lesser extent (in terms of how I've seen people acting), because I'm tired of the attitude among that it's all fun and games for free speech until it starts to turn against conservatives.
Who's being hypocritical? Are you saying Christians aren't allowed to be annoyed at being misrepresented? Since we're talking about things we're tired of, I'm pretty tired of watching Christians get attacked for expressing disagreement with... well prettymuch anything. We can't even complain about a crappy SNL skit now without a line of people scrambling over each other to be the first to tell us we're making mountains out of molehills or we should just shut up. Everybody has a legitimate gripe except Christians?

You and I both know if that skit had lampooned some LGBT organization or Islam, people would be up in arms and if some Christian/Conservative came along and said "you're making a big deal out of nothing just settle down." They'd be torn limb from limb for being hateful, callous, *-phobic, etc etc etc. As far as I'm concerned, that's where the hypocrisy is.
ChickenSoup wrote: It's not their job to dumb themselves down to the level where no one will take it the wrong way. And while I'm not sticking my head in the sand and saying "The media would never deceive us!", I also don't think there's a team of evil liberal atheists snickering to themselves and thinking "maybe THIS will destabilize the American family, TEE HEE!"
Oh I wouldn't give them that much credit. Whoever wrote that skit basically lumped together all the worst stereotypes about Christians and put them in a skit they knew would please their left-leaning viewers. No conspiracy, just opportunism.
ChickenSoup wrote: Because the criticism ISN'T "this is sloppy satire," with nuanced opinions about how cultural criticism should be conducted. It's clickbaity stuff like "SNL attacks Christianity"
So it's the title of the thread you don't like? That's it? Have you heard any calls in this thread for SNL to be shut down? Anybody here endorsing hate mail or violence? Anything at all besides dismay and annoyance at the double standard we're living under? You came right out and asked me what action should be taken, and I said no action. Did that matter at all, or am I still lumped in with whatever stereotype is being applied here?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:Think SNL is for Middle America, do ya?

Most TV programming is meant to appeal to the markets wher ethe most people are. That means cities. Big cities. You're suggesting that SNL gives a wet fart what the people in scattered towns around the Midwest think when they're directing their programming and generating advertising revenue from large city markets. I'll leave it to you to figure out where the largest markets are in the U.S.
I don't mean the Cursed Earth- I mean, the Midwest. I'm speaking more politically middle.
ArcticFox wrote:I bow to your overwhelming objectivity in an analysis of a movie that isn't meant for atheists in the first place.
Because it's wrong?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:I don't mean the Cursed Earth- I mean, the Midwest. I'm speaking more politically middle.
Gotcha.

I have my doubts about SNL being anything but left-leaning.
ArchAngel wrote:Because it's wrong?
Yeah. It's really bizarre to me that you'd watch a movie like God's Not Dead and expect it to be anything but what it is. It's a Christian propaganda movie. Spoiler alert: The Atheist character doesn't come off too well. Like I said before, it would be like someone watching a Neil deGrasse Tyson science show and whining because Creationism isn't given any screen time. If I were to gripe about that would you take me seriously?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:I don't mean the Cursed Earth- I mean, the Midwest. I'm speaking more politically middle.
Gotcha.

I have my doubts about SNL being anything but left-leaning.[/quote]Everything seems left-leaning on the right. Actually, I would put them more left-leaning.
ArcticFox wrote:It's a Christian propaganda movie.
So you admit it's garbage.
ArcticFox wrote: Spoiler alert: The Atheist character doesn't come off too well. Like I said before, it would be like someone watching a Neil deGrasse Tyson science show and whining because Creationism isn't given any screen time. If I were to gripe about that would you take me seriously?
I certainly don't expect them to come to conclusion that, hey, maybe there is no God. But if NdT put out a film where the Creationist professor was an overly angry caricature of a man who demands his students to prove that God created the earth in 6 days, yeah. That'd be a little goofy.
If I recall, too, you had some umbrage on the portrayal of the church in the Cosmos series, and I'd agree, they could have done better job.
And I'll give you this that much of Hollywood's portrayal of conservative christianity is pretty bad. I'm still standing by the SNL skit as being on point, but in general it's usually subpar. They definitely like the sort of "I believe in God, but I'm not Religious" sort of zone.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Everything seems left-leaning on the right. Actually, I would put them more left-leaning.
So we agree?
ArchAngel wrote:So you admit it's garbage.
That isn't what I said.
ArchAngel wrote:I certainly don't expect them to come to conclusion that, hey, maybe there is no God. But if NdT put out a film where the Creationist professor was an overly angry caricature of a man who demands his students to prove that God created the earth in 6 days, yeah. That'd be a little goofy.
If I recall, too, you had some umbrage on the portrayal of the church in the Cosmos series, and I'd agree, they could have done better job.
And I'll give you this that much of Hollywood's portrayal of conservative christianity is pretty bad. I'm still standing by the SNL skit as being on point, but in general it's usually subpar. They definitely like the sort of "I believe in God, but I'm not Religious" sort of zone.
And you hit the nail on the head with that last part. The only kind of Christianity that is tolerated in pop culture is that wishy-washy sort of hobby Christianity where people claim to follow Jesus but then ignore prettymuch everything He said.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:
ArchAngel wrote:Everything seems left-leaning on the right. Actually, I would put them more left-leaning.
So we agree?
Partially. Just because it's left-leaning doesn't mean it's only for the left. Hollywood in general is left leaning, but it's really marketed for everyone.
ArcticFox wrote:
ArchAngel wrote:So you admit it's garbage.
That isn't what I said.
You called propaganda.
ArcticFox wrote:And you hit the nail on the head with that last part. The only kind of Christianity that is tolerated in pop culture is that wishy-washy sort of hobby Christianity where people claim to follow Jesus but then ignore prettymuch everything He said.
Now, that's pretty dismissive of a large number of Christians who care very much what they believe, but even though it doesn't align very much with the Church.

Now, if we want to be fair, also, Hollywood is generally pretty bad with handling diversity.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Partially. Just because it's left-leaning doesn't mean it's only for the left. Hollywood in general is left leaning, but it's really marketed for everyone.
Yes it certainly is, which is my point re: SNL.
ArchAngel wrote:You called propaganda.
I'm going to assume you have a better handle on what that word means than that. For anyone who doesn't:

Propaganda: information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/propaganda?s=t
ArchAngel wrote:Now, that's pretty dismissive of a large number of Christians who care very much what they believe, but even though it doesn't align very much with the Church.

Now, if we want to be fair, also, Hollywood is generally pretty bad with handling diversity.
Those Christians you refer to are not well tolerated by pop culture either, unless their particular beliefs support current cultural norms. I would question the sincerity of those beliefs, but that's a discussion for another time.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:Yes it certainly is, which is my point re: SNL.
Not quite. Left is not anti-christian by any means. But they are more prone to poke fun at more further right positions, which is what we're seeing.
ArcticFox wrote:I'm going to assume you have a better handle on what that word means than that. For anyone who doesn't:

Propaganda: information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/propaganda?s=t
I still stand by what I'm saying; it's glorified advertisement, but with a more sinister, divisive edge. So, maybe worse than garbage.
ArcticFox wrote:Those Christians you refer to are not well tolerated by pop culture either, unless their particular beliefs support current cultural norms. I would question the sincerity of those beliefs, but that's a discussion for another time.
[/quote]Everybody has some beef with "cultural norms," so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.
But to question to the sincerity of one's belief? Come on, man. We can only really do that for politicians and extremists we'd rather not associate with.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Not quite. Left is not anti-christian by any means. But they are more prone to poke fun at more further right positions, which is what we're seeing.
Oh I'd argue that the left is absolutely, irrevocably anti-Christian, in effect if not necessarily intent. Probably a debate for another time.
ArchAngel wrote:I still stand by what I'm saying; it's glorified advertisement, but with a more sinister, divisive edge. So, maybe worse than garbage.
Divisive I'll grant you, but sinister? No.
ArchAngel wrote:Everybody has some beef with "cultural norms," so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. But to question to the sincerity of one's belief? Come on, man. We can only really do that for politicians and extremists we'd rather not associate with.
When I see an entire category of self-described Christians claiming that "their" Jesus would be totally okay with some of the things they're doing, in defiance of what's plainly written in Scripture, then they're putting their desire to fit into secular culture above spiritual truth. So yeah, that's a motive I question.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:Divisive I'll grant you, but sinister? No.
Sinistar propaganda? yes.

Perhaps, sinister was an overspeak, as it implies a more malicious intent.
ArcticFox wrote:When I see an entire category of self-described Christians claiming that "their" Jesus would be totally okay with some of the things they're doing, in defiance of what's plainly written in Scripture, then they're putting their desire to fit into secular culture above spiritual truth. So yeah, that's a motive I question.
Please, scripture is anything but clear. Unless, of course, we are still making grain offerings, women are wearing head coverings in church, etc.
And even if they don't believe the Bible is inerrant doesn't make their belief any less sincere. Just different.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.