Best Way to read the Bible?

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I figured it was about time I got a bit more detrement in reading God's Word. But there's one thing I've noticed while reading it, which is that unlike most books, this one is structured a bit differently. There's probably thousands of different ways to read the thing.

Odds are, at least one person on this forum has looked the pages over from cover to cover. If so, how did you read through it? Did you use a certain pattern? Did you just read it from cover to cover? Did you start in the New Testament and worked your way to the old? Did you just finish any one book that you had your nose in at one point and move on to the next? Whatever worked for you, I'm looking to try it.

In short, if you used any variety of a structure or a technique to assist you in reading the entire Bible, post it here and let me know about it.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've read several translations (all English), cover to cover from Genesis to Revelation. The best thing to do is make a habit of it. I read mine before I go to bed at night. Jay reads his first thing in the morning. Now if you're new at reading the Bible I'd recommend starting from the New Testament and once you finish that, start from the beginning. There are some dry books in the Old Testement but not all of them.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I've already covered most of the New Testament, so now I will start cutting through the Old Testament.

Not looking forward to Leviticus. Or the second half of Exodus. I did read Esther earlier, and it was a pretty good story.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The lineage ones are pretty boring so and so begat another name I wouldn't give my kid....yeah I get that they show the lineage to Christ but they're hard to read
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You can always alternate between NT and OT. Genesis, then Matthew, then Exodus, then Mark, and so on. Helps mix it up. That's the plan I did when I first read it through.
Just keep in mind there are more OT books than NT, so you can intersperse more OT or just save the excess for the end.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
DivineWorks
Noob
Noob
How serious are you about the Bible? Are you reading to memorize every verse for yourself? or are you reading to help you understand who Jesus is?

Many have ways of reading their Bible, and there is a way to learn the Word of God that will open eyes to seeing and knowing the truth of all things. There is much more to the Bible than just reading it. There are messages within messages that are proven by the Bible interpreting the Bible and not by mans misconceptions or interpretations.

I joined this site because I see many Christians playing games that God would not approve of (Guns, fighting each other for points! not love) including the avatar images that are supposed to represent Christians who follow Jesus ... do not represent a Christian Life but represents wickedness and fables.
Being Christian is walking the narrow path, not a wide path of deception, hate, sin, temptation, worldly wealth or pride. To enter the strait gate you must be upright and righteous.

The Bible is Supernatural
I study the Bible with a Berean attitude to check if things are true and focus on what God wants us to do by faith and following in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus.
I study the Bible to light my path and help me to discern false ministries, false prophets Satans lies, temptations and deceptions.
I study the Bible to rid myself of sin and help others find their way through darkness or sadness.
I study the Bible to lift people up with the truth of Gods word with wisdom & understanding.
I study the Bible expositionally. I not only discover wisdom within the text but also hidden beneath the text discovering more hidden messages that also lift your faith more and more and more.
The more you discover, the more your belief increases

I see many Christians going through the wide gate thinking they know God and I am surprised to see many here who have totally disregarded Gods advice in their preaching about the Gospel. The Holy Spirit has given you the Book of Life for guidance, to know Him and know the true path to being saved...not by works alone but by faith in Jesus Christ our Lord of Lords, our King of Kings.

Amen ✞ ✞ ✞
TenorNegative
Noob
Noob
Get a translation that reads easier, I'd recommend ESV. Read a Proverb a day for whatever day of the month it is, as well as a Psalm a day. Aside from that, read whatever else you want. I find that's a good way to go.
elijahward00
Noob
Noob
1 year bible is riley good just stay consistent
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Please, please, please don't read the New Testament then dive into the Old Testament.

Would start your journey into the Lord of the Rings with The Return of the King then bounce into The Fellowship of the Ring? Of course not. But for reasons beyond my understanding Christians tell fellow Christians to do just that.

God reveals Himself with purpose and for a purpose over time. There are fundamental lessons that must be grasped and understood first before moving onto deeper and more complex things. All of life is like that!

But, again, for some reasons Christians want to jump into an AP mathematics course without having spent the requisite time in basic arithmetic.

Jesus came to pay for our sins, but also to clarify and expand further upon what His Father already revealed. How can you possibly draw the correct lessons from that revelation if you've no idea what the context was?
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Then again, you get the gist of what we're supposed to do with our faith in the New Covenant from the NT, and can get the history and context of everything leading up to why we are what we are from the OT later on. I wouldn't describe it as jumping into an AP Math course at all.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
neelsmith92
Noob
Noob
when reading the Bible the verses and chapter breaks are placed in the scriptures by man. It is better to read by paragraph, these too are man-made but they do conform better to the original language than verses.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
I tell people who are trying to read for first time to read 1 John first then some other chapters of different books that explain God, Christ and salvation in the best and easiest to understand (at least for me) way.
I have started to read from Gen to revelation before and always get stuck at the chapters on genealogy I know they are important but I admit they put me to sleep. But I try to read one chapter of like OT in morning and one chapter NT at night. Been a bit since I did this but I need ot get back on track with it
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
Dirkdigdeep
Noob
Noob
The bible is likened to a hologram in that each part can be seen in every piece. The full doctrine of Christ can be found in the book of genesis alone for example. Even the " dry books" can have profound information in them , see the genealogy of Jesus in the Gospel for example. Its best to read the NT as a primer first , but never forget there are literally hundreds of OT quotes in it. Never make the mistake of thinking the OT and NT are two different books. It is the same God in both and that same God teaches the same in Both. The only distinction is found in the principle that there are two CONTRACTS (covenants) spoken about in the one book. Jesus said you search the scriptures ( OT) for in them you think you have eternal life, but they are that which speaks of ME! The same can be said of the NT.