The Room

Puzzle and casual game talk
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Superstars111
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Greetings. :) My name is Jared. I just registered a few minutes ago. I looked around to see if there was another place that would be better to post this type of thread, but it looked like this would be the most applicable board.

A while back, I found a game on Steam called The Room. It was advertised as a short puzzle game and had a lot of positive reviews. It looked very interesting, so I added it to my wish list and, as is my usual practice, waited for it to go on sale.

Well, considering that it's late October, Steam decided to have a Halloween sale, particularly on horror type games. Aside from the fact that I don't celebrate Halloween, horror games aren't typically my style. (Specific details of my views on Halloween can be found in my blog post here if you're curious- if not, details aren't necessary.) I mean, I don't mind some creepy stories every once in a while, depending on how they're told, but nothing extreme, gory, or demonic.
One of the games that was on sale was The Room. I was curious for a bit, but I didn't think much of it- several non-horror games were on sale. I bought TransPlan, which looks like a basic physics game, and Cities: Skyline, Ark: Survival Evolved, and various other non-horror games were on sale. I figured that The Room would fit into this category.

I've just played, I believe, two chapters of The Room (out of five). The puzzle itself is very fun, but...
There are notes that have been left behind from a character who left this box for me. The character leaving the notes is rather obviously participating in demonic practices. But the notes are ambiguous as to what my role is. That is to say, I'm not sure if my role in the story, i.e., solving the puzzle, is figuring out what happened to him, or if my character is supposed to be following the first character and doing the same things. When I turn a key, is it because I'm following a trail of bread crumbs, or is it because the first guy turned a key as one of the steps in the ritual?

Superstition is one of the things I struggle with. I have to force myself not to have good luck charms. Before I learned that I was taking superstition too seriously, and that it was affecting my life (particularly because I'm a Christian) I was about to get into horoscopes and numerology. I thank God that I never got into that stuff.
I do believe that demons are real, and powerful, and at work in the world today. That bit isn't just superstition. God is stronger than they are, but they're still not for messing around with in games.

I looked up this site to see if there was a review for the game already, but I couldn't find one. Ordinarily I'm very against spoilers, but in this case, I think I ought to make an exception and ask about the ending of the story, so that I can decide whether or not to continue playing.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I haven't played it so I don't know honestly. Have you checked gamefaqs.com? Welcome BTW!
Superstars111
Noob
Noob
I hadn't, no.
I just did, but they didn't have much information in that area. There was a walkthrough and a review, but neither gave too much information on that topic. I suppose it's probably not important to most people.
I mean, on one hand, it looks like I'm supposed to be doing the same things he was doing (e.g., there's a lens that you have to wear to solve certain puzzles, similar to a lens that the other guy was wearing). But on the other hand, his notes describe wearing the lens constantly, and in the game you only put it on to check for additional information. Wearing it constantly would severely hamper your ability to solve some puzzles, and would make other puzzles impossible. I suppose I'll finish it up tomorrow and post what I find.
Thank you. :)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the follow-up. If you want to write a review for the site about it, let me know! ;)
Sstavix
CCGR addict
A review for the game would be great! :D

Personally, when I come across one of those situations, where I'm not sure about the factors of a game, movie or TV show, I take a look at TV Tropes. Here's a link to the Room, specifically. That Web site can be a great tool for learning about other media, especially if you're interested in writing or creating games yourself.

Take care, and welcome aboard!
Superstars111
Noob
Noob
I wouldn't mind writing a review when I finish. :) (I'm about 3/5 of the way through now.) Is there a place where I can find review guidelines, or something like that?
SSquared
"The Room" is an absolutely brilliant game. It is not so much a horror game, but is very atmospheric and bordering on creepy. The music and sounds match the story as they blend to provide a great experience playing at night. The puzzle pacing is fantastic. Some puzzles did take awhile for me to figure out and I don't recall any feeling too easy.

I played it probably two years ago and, unfortunately, have completely forgotten the actual content of the game. I did a quick look over that Tropes site and none of it sounded familiar to me, so maybe I can't comment on that aspect. BUT...I do recall wondering about the content at the time, I just honestly can't recall the specifics.

I do know I never got "The Room 2" as that one seemed more blatant about occult stuff. The Topes site mentioned Tarot Cards and I think that may be the 2nd one.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here's a link to our guidelines: https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/ind ... me-reviews

Thanks for considering writing a review for us!
Superstars111
Noob
Noob
So, I'm looking into some of the technical details, and I'm finding that it's available for different prices, and with different release dates, depending on what device you use. It was originally made for iOS, and was later converted into a PC game, which is what I used. Would I list only the iOS data, because that's the original release date, etc., or only the PC version, because that's where I played it, or both, because as far as I can tell the game itself is identical?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We typically use the release info for the version reviewed
Superstars111
Noob
Noob
All right, I've just finished the first draft for my review. I'll try look it over again tomorrow and finalize it.
But I'm looking at the contact form, and I'm not seeing a place to put pictures. How should I submit those?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'mm PM you my e-mail address to send them