What Happens When the 'Moral Majority' Becomes a Minority?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
They make a good point when they say the Benedict Option basically means abandoning mainstream culture to its own devices. And maybe re-conversion is beyond reach... I mean, how do you appeal to a culture where the only guidance to morality is "if it feels good, it must be moral?"

The practical problem is that, unlike the Pilgrims, we have nowhere to go. This planet doesn't have any new frontiers to colonize to escape. Like it or not, we're stuck here, at least until interplanetary colonization becomes an option.

So here we are, and here we stay. All we can do at this point is set the best example we can and show the secularists why it's better to follow Christ. If we're right, people will see it and will desire to join us. If we're wrong, then it doesn't matter anyway.

I read recently a commentator who said that Christianity is at its best when it's persecuted. I think that's true. We've had it pretty good in the West for the last few centuries, and I think it's made Christianity as a whole weaker, because for a long time we were more interested in fighting each other than spreading the Gospel. If we have to circle the wagons, I think we'll emerge better for it.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I agree with you 100%

I prefer not living in a desert or frozen climate ;)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Lately I've been thinking a lot about my friendships, and where they can go realistically. I live in MD, which means most of my friends here are on the left wing side of the culture. As it stands now, we're all cool with each other... but what happens in the future? What happens when believing in traditional marriage is equated by pop culture (as it sometimes is already) to a belief in the inferiority of some races? Will those left-leaning friends still want to be friends with me? I like to think they will, but can I take that for granted?

And that goes both ways, doesn't it? I've heard my own beliefs on that described as "abhorrent" by one of my friends. How long can I maintain a friendship with someone who thinks that way about something I hold so precious?

If push ever comes to shove my circle of friends will shrink rapidly. Hopefully that'll never happen, but who knows?

That's why websites like this one are so important. It allows us to enjoy a lot of cool stuff out there without having to hide who we are in order to gain acceptance.

In case I've never said it, thank you for creating this resource.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Shoot it goes beyond friendships for me, I have family members who claim to be Christian spewing out hateful comments about Kim Davis on facebook. I just remained silent and didn't want to fuel that fire...

I have many church friends/acquaintances but my friends I grew up with and still hang out with are not active Christians (perhaps Creasters?) When asked about Biblical stuff I'll gladly answer (and I have!) but I try not to shove the Bible down their throats. So I think there is mutual respect there, time will tell if that will change.

Thanks for the thanks and you're very welcome. This site is truly unique for sure and I have NO DOUBT that it is being blessed and used by God. For example I know that we don't agree on some doctrinal stuff, but we can still pray, play and fellowship together right? How cool is that? What I find sad is that so many churches are not bothering to call me back when I am simply calling to introduce CCG to them as a resource. I am not asking for money, but to ask to see if they'll hand out our Christmas buying guide in their church bulletin later this year. What's up with that cold shoulder? Or the cold shoulder Mormons get from "Christians" Are we not to love one another? Since when does listening to one's needs and concerns not part of love?

:cry:
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote: The practical problem is that, unlike the Pilgrims, we have nowhere to go. This planet doesn't have any new frontiers to colonize to escape. Like it or not, we're stuck here, at least until interplanetary colonization becomes an option.
:shock: Have you been sneaking peeks at my last NaNo?

But I certainly can see the "Benedict Option" as an attractive one. Given the nation's current political environment, I've thought that the only way to save the Constitution would be if some of the states seceded from the rest of the nation. My thoughts about this is probably related to wanting to find a community of like-minded people that I would be a welcome part of - conservatives, with strong values and a strong determination to stick to those values, but also with a sense of fun and camaraderie. You know... kind of like this place. ;) But in a more physical sense.

I keep hoping and praying for a spiritual re-awakening in this nation - that more people will wake up to what's been happening when God is absent in their lives, and be filled with a desire to reverse the course. Because I truly think that the only way to save this country and to keep Christians from becoming a persecuted minority is a miracle.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I pray the same thing
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
Yes, thank you for this site. I LOVE the discussions and community here.

What Scriptural basis would we have for withdrawal? The commands for Israel to be set apart? But we have the Holy Spirit. I don't know. I'm not sure I agree with this monk. Maybe he is right. But we can't withdraw so far that we aren't ministering. We could go underground like the church in other countries.

There is a pattern between Christianity being accepted and becoming weaker. We like to pick on Constantine, he kinda started it by making Christianity the official religion. I forget all the details, it's worth looking up though.

Anyway, I guess I'd rather withdraw from politics. My hubby likes to say, "you can't legislate morality". I like to say, laws can't change hearts, only God can. Christianizing our laws should not be our goal.

Anyway, my husband and I plan to homeschool and shelter our kids pretty well until they are over 10 or so. We don't have any yet so we haven't worked out all the details. But, that is to prepare them to engage the world at a somewhat young age.

Um yeah, I'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts on my phone.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
amyjo88 wrote:
What Scriptural basis would we have for withdrawal?
In the New Testament, there is Matthew 10:14. So yes, we should at least try. But if they refuse to listen, or even threaten to kill you (or in some cases actually do kill some of your mission party)? Then perhaps it's time to wash your hands - or feet - of it and leave them to their eternal fate. (Interestingly enough, this is still considered relevant in the LDS church, but nowadays, only for the most extreme cases.)
amyjo88 wrote:
Anyway, my husband and I plan to homeschool and shelter our kids pretty well until they are over 10 or so. We don't have any yet so we haven't worked out all the details. But, that is to prepare them to engage the world at a somewhat young age.
It's working for our kids. :) Homeschooling is a pretty good alternative compared to public schools.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks Amyjo, glad to hear that the site is a blessing for you too!

My hubby and I were considering homeschooling but our oldest daughter was diagnosed with atypical autism. Thankfully it's a very mild case and the public school system has been great with working with her and she's doing awesome. I guess that's worth the $6,000 (out of the 8K) of our real estate taxes that the school system gets...
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
As they say about the Moral Majority, it's neither. I'm assuming, for this conversation, we're not talking about Falwell's political organization but more about Christian conservatism in politics. Maybe the term is even more loosely used, but it still sounds pretentious, as well as debatable. I'd rather not discuss who has the moral high-ground, but if someone brings it there, I'm likely to ruffle a couple feathers. But, I suppose who cares, because I'm going to ruffle them anyways.

Even when I used to be a Christian, there's a certain kind of vomit I get upheaved in the back of my throat when people act like Christianity is persecuted or wonder where they can escape this awful secularism in America. Besides that America is likely the most evangelically Christian country, and that the country one of the most conservative of the first world countries, this country is slanted predominantly in the favor of Christians. And when a little special privileges have to be given up in the service of fairness, the moans begin. Please, it's the cry of a petulant child.

It doesn't take a huge mental effort to swap places with any other religion and realize how much you have. When an atheist wants to meet another atheist, they have to hope they run into one. If a christian wants to, they go shopping for churches. Shopping. In their neighborhood. In their denomination. You can't drive down a suburb without running into churches. That's how instituted Christianity is in with the people.
If a Muslim in a government refused service to a woman because he believes he should not interact with a women not wearing a hijab, you think that'll fly.
How about you imagine a government where you couldn't dream of getting elected if you weren't anything other that a Hindu?

Please. It's not so bad for you. And if you don't think I understand, try being a conservative christian and registered republican in California.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bro, you know I think the world of ya, but I'm calling you out on this one.

Our gripe here isn't how bad things are *now* but rather, the direction things are going in. Sure, it's perfectly fine to be a Conservative Christian today, but the winds ain't blowing in a direction that we can feel comfortable with. Maybe you don't see it the same way because you're now on the outside looking in, but consider this... Islamic owned bakeries don't do gay weddings either. Heard of any begging in trouble for it?

Some of what you wrote sounds like you feel that Atheists have it worse than Christians. Okay, I'll concede that, but the winds are shifting toward the opposite. Religion in general is being crapped on these days with more and more laws forcing us to publicly fund things we find abhorrent, being forced to participate in things we find abhorrent, when we just want to stay out of that stuff. All the while we're told WE are the ones who are hateful and pushing our beliefs on others.

Some groups are calling on the Government to take further action against churches, like mandating that they perform gay weddings. There are calls for churches to lose tax exempt status which WILL result in some of them being shut down.

Are we supposed to just ignore that and keep pretending all is well in perpetuity? How far do things have to go before we're allowed to complain?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Yeah, I think the problem I have with this whole deal (and probably AA too, although I can't speak for him) is that for all the wailing and hand-wringing that many Christians are doing over their loss of privilege, they don't seem to care much about others having the same rights. I mean, one example, you've got people arguing over the cake thing, which is fair enough, but these same people have been fighting for YEARS to keep gay people from being able to get married AT ALL, only changing their tune to a more defensive one when it was clear that gay marriage was going to become legal.

Look, if you're worried about the future of Christians in the US, that's fair. I don't agree with you, but there's nothing wrong with standing up for the rights of your group. But to whine about how awful Christians might maybe have it in the future while most other religious or non-religious groups have it worse just smacks of selfish, myopic privilege blindness. Christians these days complain about not having things that they wouldn't dream of allowing Muslims or Hindus or atheists to have. And then they tear each other to shreds over differences within their own religion. Just look at how Mormons have been treated by other Christians throughout the years. Heck, Matt Walsh made a Facebook post the other day saying he was Catholic and a bunch of his fanbase tore him to shreds.

So yeah, this sounds like flaming, but I have no use for the OP article. Speaking of which, the whole "Benedict option" is nothing new. I practically grew up in it. And the resulting culture ended up being rife with abuse. If you don't believe me, do a little reading on Bill Gothard and his group, or the quiverfull movement. Or all the ultra-conservative Christian colleges that have been in trouble recently for trying to cover up rape and sexual abuse of female students by male students, many times going as far as shaming and shunning the victims from their communities. Not everyone in those communities was an abuser of course, but that sort of thing certainly draws that type. So if you're going to do that, just be wary.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope we can still be friends. Love and peace. :)
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I consider you guys friends for sure. I also consider myself more tolerant than some other Christians, but as with many things, I have plenty of room for improvement.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Just out of curiosity, what "rights" do Christians have that is being denied to atheists right now? Because I think I'm missing it.

(Incidentally, I'm all for other faiths having the same rights as Christians. For example, I wouldn't mind this nation viewing Yom Kippur or Passover as a national, federal holiday, like we already do for Christmas.)