Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
HankTheCowdog
Are you human?: Yes!
Cheese curds?

God's Not Dead!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Not consciously...
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
So, now that I've been gone forever and a day, and still aren't really back, I have to ask a sensitive question...

How do you feel about Age of Sigmar?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
So I don't know if you've ever used Ration ClearCase, but man oh man do I have a story for you...

A while back, I was trying to deliver an activity (Push a commit, in git terms) upstream, and I discovered I had other activities on the Stream (Kind of a branch/repo hybrid). Ok, maybe ClearCase can delivery a single activity, right?

Nope. Delivery is an all-or-nothing endeavor.

Ok, fine, I didn't need those other activities anyway, so I'll just roll them back. Simple, right?

Wrong. So, so wrong.

ClearCase doesn't have an easy way to rollback. Your options with a single file are A) if it's a dynamic view, (think working on remote with symlinked files to your machine) you can do a "Subtractive merge" which is a merge with the previous version that removes the changes going from previous to current and B) if you're in a snapshot view (Normal git style) you can check the file out again, compare with the diff and manually undo the changes. You can also load a truly ancient MFC app and click and drag history lines to assign the current version that way, but the app crashes pretty regularly on any machine running Windows 7 or higher. Super bizarre, right? It gets better. There is no way to do this on any sort of scale.

Let me restate that.

THERE IS NO WAY TO REVERT MORE THAN ONE FILE AT A TIME.

So for my activities, which totaled around 30 files, I would have to do this singular approach to reverting one at a time. Manually. The quickest option by my tech lead's own admission was to create another stream and view (Which takes forever, considering that ClearCase isn't meant to retrieve from a server in Europe like we're doing).

WHAT IS THE POINT OF VERSION CONTROL IF YOU CAN'T REVERT TO PREVIOUS VERSIONS EASILY? THAT'S LIKE....THE WHOLE POINT!

Rant over...

Had any experiences quite like that? :P
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:So, now that I've been gone forever and a day, and still aren't really back, I have to ask a sensitive question...

How do you feel about Age of Sigmar?
Well... I've played one game, and it's got pros and cons.

I REALLY like the simplicity. Warhammer Fantasy was WAY WAY WAY too complex and I played it more for the social interaction and fluff than for any love of the rule set itself. They seem to have done a great job getting a very simplistic rule set wile still allowing for plenty of tactical flexibility. In that, I give them an 'A.'

Balance is a problem, because there's no points system or balancing mechanism of any kind, so that puts the onus of balance on the players. Not a bad thing per se, but that makes AoS absolutely unsuitable for tournaments. That's fine with me as I've attended tournaments but I don't really like to play competitively. Games Workshop has been pushing for a more narrative approach and I think this will help.

That said, the game plays very similarly to Warhammer 40K, and when I was playing I found myself wishing I was pushing Space Marines around instead of Knights. So while I'm glad I still have a game to use my Bretonnians with, I'm not sure I'll devote a whole lot of time to it since I like 40K better.
Deepfreeze32 wrote: WHAT IS THE POINT OF VERSION CONTROL IF YOU CAN'T REVERT TO PREVIOUS VERSIONS EASILY? THAT'S LIKE....THE WHOLE POINT!

Rant over...

Had any experiences quite like that? :P
Yeah, with Git. Yes, one can do rollbacks but only as long as you're doing your pushes in such a way as to make it store that version in the history. More than once we've had to merge changes where one misstep caused all the progress to be lost. Should be easy enough to roll back right? Nope, because with Git, there's no central repo. Each node, including the GitHub site itself is considered a peer, so if you want to rollback, each node will have a different history. When all that stuff was lost, the developer who was working on it should have been able to recover his work, but it looks like he wasn't committing changes locally.

Sorry about your experience though... Ugh. Painful.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
ArcticFox wrote:Well... I've played one game, and it's got pros and cons.

I REALLY like the simplicity. Warhammer Fantasy was WAY WAY WAY too complex and I played it more for the social interaction and fluff than for any love of the rule set itself. They seem to have done a great job getting a very simplistic rule set wile still allowing for plenty of tactical flexibility. In that, I give them an 'A.'

Balance is a problem, because there's no points system or balancing mechanism of any kind, so that puts the onus of balance on the players. Not a bad thing per se, but that makes AoS absolutely unsuitable for tournaments. That's fine with me as I've attended tournaments but I don't really like to play competitively. Games Workshop has been pushing for a more narrative approach and I think this will help.

That said, the game plays very similarly to Warhammer 40K, and when I was playing I found myself wishing I was pushing Space Marines around instead of Knights. So while I'm glad I still have a game to use my Bretonnians with, I'm not sure I'll devote a whole lot of time to it since I like 40K better.
I've heard a lot of Fantasy players that are greatly unhappy with it. Seem's I can't visit a wargaming website without hearing someone cast plagues on it. You make it sound fun, though. I kind of want to take it up myself, since I love the GW Dwarves models and free rules. >_> I'ma wait though, until I know if they're going to keep supporting the original Fantasy stuff.

Destiny (the game)?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:
I've heard a lot of Fantasy players that are greatly unhappy with it. Seem's I can't visit a wargaming website without hearing someone cast plagues on it. You make it sound fun, though. I kind of want to take it up myself, since I love the GW Dwarves models and free rules. >_> I'ma wait though, until I know if they're going to keep supporting the original Fantasy stuff.

Destiny (the game)?
Actually they are. You can download army lists for ALL of the old WHFB factions on the same webpage where you can get the free rules.

I've heard that Destiny is a lot of fun, but to be able to keep playing you have to stay current with the (expensive) expansions.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm sort of wary that GW will start producing a new line of AoS specific miniatures and drop the old stuff. Probably won't happen, but still. If I understand the end times stuff that happened correctly, they pretty much blew up the planet didn't they?

I'm paranoid. :P Don't want to jump into the Fantasy camp and then get burned.

Also, I love Destiny. <3 Though the expansion thing is correct, to a point. You can keep playing, you just can't continue with the story, and some events/gear is locked out.

Still, I've put 50 hours or so into it sans expansions, and I absolutely love it...worth the $28 I paid.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah the old stuff will be phased out over time. I doubt they're making new molds so basically they'll sell of what they've got and that'll be it. 'cause yeah, they literally blew up the world. :?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nice. Well, at least they didn't go half hog...

Of course, now I'm in the boat of wondering whether I should go ahead and buy some Dwarf models before they become scarce. XD

All night gameathon, or all night paintathon?
CRCBrony
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
What is your favorite Bible verse?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Nice. Well, at least they didn't go half hog...

Of course, now I'm in the boat of wondering whether I should go ahead and buy some Dwarf models before they become scarce. XD

All night gameathon, or all night paintathon?
Back in the day, I often did weekend long mega 40K battles... oh...
CRCBrony wrote:What is your favorite Bible verse?
James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
CRCBrony
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
Do you like The Land Before Time series?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I thought they were cute, but never really formed an opinion about them for or against.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
ArcticFox wrote:Back in the day, I often did weekend long mega 40K battles... oh...
Jealousy. So much jealousy. Still haven't made it to a gaming group. But on the positive side, I'm comfortable with my army now (got some Gun mages and Rangers) to the point I'm hoping I can get some gumption and visit the FLGS.

There shall be a reckoning?