"Brothers and sisters... please buy me a jet!"

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Here's another topic that could be worth discussing. A megachurch pastor in the Atlanta area is asking church members to pony up $60 million to buy a new Gulfstream G650. According to the pastor and his staff, the jet will be used to help with ministry and outreach programs.

But at the same time, this seems to smack of other instances in the past, where the leaders of certain congregations appear to "fleece their flock" in order to live lavish lifestyles in multimillion dollar mansions. Given that Christ Himself lived in poverty, relying on the charity of others as He spread His message, many critics (both Christian and non) use this behavior to show that some of these church leaders are motivated more by greed than any desire to spread the gospel.

So, what do you think? Is Creflo Dollar deserving of his own private jet, paid for by those willing to receive his messages? Or is he just trying to expand his own interests and material possessions, and simply using Christ as a means to an end?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
So they have an unreliable jet currently. I can see the need for replacing it if it's currently in use for ministry purposes. Is a brand new luxury jet a suitable replacement? Probably not. There are more affordable and better suited jets for ministering IMO.

As this site branches out I'm going to be very open about the finances, I don't want to be accused of being greedy.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Alright.

Let's assume that this megachurch actually had a legitimate use for an airplane to get them to various parts of the world. After all, it claims to be an International ministry so that isn't totally impossible. Their website only lists locations within the U.S. however.

My question: Why do they need a $65M jet that's claimed by the manufacturer to be the most luxurious jet available today? If all they need is the means to get around, wouldn't a much less expensive jet work equally well? This frickin' jet can almost go supersonic for Pete's sake... Looking at similar jets in its class show that it's well above the cost of other such aircraft.

The Gulfstream G650: $64.5M
Bombardier Global Express: $52M
Dassault Falcon 7X: $52.3M
Embraer Lineage 1000: $49.3M

Mind you, that's just luxury business jets. If he truly only needed the transportation, there are MUCH cheaper planes to be had, like prop planes, smaller business jets, used business jets, etc.

Or maybe he could just buy a friggin' plane ticket like everybody else.

As Brozilla mentioned, this is just the sort of example of avarice that people use as ammo to paint Christians in a negative light.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Not to mention that a used plane would be cheaper, and technically a little safer (Since it's been proven to work).

ArcticFox wrote:As Brozilla mentioned, this is just the sort of example of avarice that people use as ammo to paint Christians in a negative light.
Pretty much this.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
>Last name is Dollar

It checks out
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Creflo Dollar has been doing this kind of thing for a long time. I'm pretty sure he's one of the megachurch pastors who was the target of a Senate investigation for fraud a few years ago (along with Benny Hinn, etc.). He's dirty, and he's been dirty for years.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
headpool182
Noob
Noob
All we can really do, my brothers and sisters is pray that God opens this mans eyes to how he is misleading his flock, and pray that his followers see see the flaws in his teachings. I question the validity of the teachings of a man who requests donations for a $65m jet. Make no mistake, I am not judging him, as I myself have failings in my life. I simply ask that we pray for him.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:Alright.

Let's assume that this megachurch actually had a legitimate use for an airplane to get them to various parts of the world. After all, it claims to be an International ministry so that isn't totally impossible. Their website only lists locations within the U.S. however.

My question: Why do they need a $65M jet that's claimed by the manufacturer to be the most luxurious jet available today? If all they need is the means to get around, wouldn't a much less expensive jet work equally well? This frickin' jet can almost go supersonic for Pete's sake... Looking at similar jets in its class show that it's well above the cost of other such aircraft.

The Gulfstream G650: $64.5M
Bombardier Global Express: $52M
Dassault Falcon 7X: $52.3M
Embraer Lineage 1000: $49.3M

Mind you, that's just luxury business jets. If he truly only needed the transportation, there are MUCH cheaper planes to be had, like prop planes, smaller business jets, used business jets, etc.

Or maybe he could just buy a friggin' plane ticket like everybody else.

As Brozilla mentioned, this is just the sort of example of avarice that people use as ammo to paint Christians in a negative light.
I so totally agree
How many leaders of even mainline churches and so called Christian churches have leaders that abuse their power or misuse donations of the faithful for their own good.
It is like selling things that you preach is sinful or that you don't use, eat, drink or allow in your home or among your own faith. Or living in style while others around you starve. Sad how the actions of some drag us all down
Well said fox well said indeed
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
ArcticFox
CCGR addict

So if you don't want Mr. Dollar to buy that jet, you're the Devil. Apparently.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
storm
Gamer
Gamer
LOL that or I am a Christian that believes the $$ for a jet could do a lot more good being spent on the poor souls you would be flying over in it. I don't go along with any religious group claiming to be Christian that missuses the funds the faithful give to live a life style they often preach against. Nor do I go along with those as stated before sell to others what they say is evil, or sell salvation, promote one group or race over another, believe the leadership is above the law of God or sin, or preach a gospel that is not clearly shown in the Bible.
In short I don't go to mainline churches in my area preferring the smaller more Bible based ones. but that is me I am sure there will be lots of logical arguments against what I say.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
we can't stop him either ;)
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Goodness, what a manipulator. He's like a black Loki.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
storm wrote:LOL that or I am a Christian that believes the $$ for a jet could do a lot more good being spent on the poor souls you would be flying over in it. I don't go along with any religious group claiming to be Christian that missuses the funds the faithful give to live a life style they often preach against. Nor do I go along with those as stated before sell to others what they say is evil, or sell salvation, promote one group or race over another, believe the leadership is above the law of God or sin, or preach a gospel that is not clearly shown in the Bible.
In short I don't go to mainline churches in my area preferring the smaller more Bible based ones. but that is me I am sure there will be lots of logical arguments against what I say.
There's a certain scripture that I've taken to heart, especially when my wife and I were "church-shopping" several years ago.
Matthew 7:15-20 wrote: Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Basically, you can tell how "true" a church can be by observing the conduct of their members - and especially their leaders. If their leaders don't seem to be following a Christlike example, what does that say about the church as a whole?
storm
Gamer
Gamer
Sstavix wrote:
Basically, you can tell how "true" a church can be by observing the conduct of their members - and especially their leaders. If their leaders don't seem to be following a Christlike example, what does that say about the church as a whole?
Amen so very very true