First person perspective

Third and long. Get that fade-away jumper!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Know what I really want to see in baseball, basketball, hockey, and football video games? The first person perspective. I think it would be cool to see what the QB, or pitcher sees. See that rim as you come in for a dunk.

Why would it work?

Why wouldn't it work?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
As a non-sports game player, I think it would cool. :)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
With the VR technology as of late, I guess it's only a matter of time. :o
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ccgr wrote:As a non-sports game player, I think it would cool. :)
Amen
JOJ650s wrote:With the VR technology as of late, I guess it's only a matter of time. :o
Here is to hoping. :)
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I think Don Bradman Cricket 14 has a first-person mode for some of it (E.G. batting). Not that many Americans like Cricket...

*crawls to the U.K. and Australia to watch Cricket matches*
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I think Don Bradman Cricket 14 has a first-person mode for some of it (E.G. batting). Not that many Americans like Cricket...

*crawls to the U.K. and Australia to watch Cricket matches*
That is AWESOME!!! :) Thank you.

I have played a few Cricket games in my life, and enjoyed them. I am talking video games. Biggest problem is they don't get brought over. With Rugby being brought over my hope is Cricket is not far behind. :)

BTW even though I have played some Cricket video games, I am still fuzzy on the rules. Does Don Bradman Cricket 14 have a training mode or anything?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Wow! Another person who likes Cricket! Brilliant!

It does have a training mode, sort of. There's batting practice (which I think flags LBWs, more on those in a bit), fielding practice (which is really simple: run up to the ball, and decide if you throw it to the bowler, wicket keeper, or attempt to hit one of the wickets), and bowling practice (which is, as I will mention later, a bit complicated) which give you the idea of how to play those positions. Most of the rules exposition is through text, which isn't quite as nice as some games which have a spoken-word tutorial (plus it was made by Australians, and Aussie accents are fun to listen to). You can pick up most of the rules by playing, or by finding matches on YouTube (I saw a particularly good one between New Zealand and India where India came back for a surprise win), but some are a little harder to notice unless you've read the rules (e.g. Leg Before Wicket or LBW: When you disturb the path of the ball with something other than the bat when it would have hit the wicket).

If you want a primer, there's an Australian physicist who wrote a really good set of pages on the rules. If you already know the rules to Baseball, he wrote a very good contrast of the two sports.

I do have a few criticisms of this game, however. The batting and bowling mechanics, while good, sometimes act a little weird. Bowling is not terribly intuitive to pick up, and took me close to an hour to really "get" it. It's a matter of timing (and if you're playing with a 360 controller on PC or on a console, which I recommend) and somewhat unusual stick manipulation. For instance, Left stick hold in a direction until an arrow is inside a timing box, then press a (or another button) and then when a second arrow is inside another timing box, press right stick forward to release the ball. There are several youtube videos out there explaining it if you get stuck.

I'm gonna have to pull out my copy this evening, and check the training modes and see if there is a first-person option for everything. I'm pretty sure you can go first person for batting, but not too sure about bowling or fielding. Even if there isn't, it's hands-down the finest Cricket video game I've played. If you like Cricket, you'll like this one. Unfortunately, it is fairly hard to come by here in the states, or retails for around $50-60, even though it came out last year. I think it's worth it, but if you (hypothetical reader who may not like Cricket) don't know if you like Cricket, watch a few matches before deciding.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
I would like archery, pool bowling and football Wish their was a nice motocross one somewhere since I can't ride in rl now might be fun to crash and burn online =)
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Wow! Another person who likes Cricket! Brilliant!

It does have a training mode, sort of. There's batting practice (which I think flags LBWs, more on those in a bit), fielding practice (which is really simple: run up to the ball, and decide if you throw it to the bowler, wicket keeper, or attempt to hit one of the wickets), and bowling practice (which is, as I will mention later, a bit complicated) which give you the idea of how to play those positions. Most of the rules exposition is through text, which isn't quite as nice as some games which have a spoken-word tutorial (plus it was made by Australians, and Aussie accents are fun to listen to). You can pick up most of the rules by playing, or by finding matches on YouTube (I saw a particularly good one between New Zealand and India where India came back for a surprise win), but some are a little harder to notice unless you've read the rules (e.g. Leg Before Wicket or LBW: When you disturb the path of the ball with something other than the bat when it would have hit the wicket).

If you want a primer, there's an Australian physicist who wrote a really good set of pages on the rules. If you already know the rules to Baseball, he wrote a very good contrast of the two sports.

I do have a few criticisms of this game, however. The batting and bowling mechanics, while good, sometimes act a little weird. Bowling is not terribly intuitive to pick up, and took me close to an hour to really "get" it. It's a matter of timing (and if you're playing with a 360 controller on PC or on a console, which I recommend) and somewhat unusual stick manipulation. For instance, Left stick hold in a direction until an arrow is inside a timing box, then press a (or another button) and then when a second arrow is inside another timing box, press right stick forward to release the ball. There are several youtube videos out there explaining it if you get stuck.

I'm gonna have to pull out my copy this evening, and check the training modes and see if there is a first-person option for everything. I'm pretty sure you can go first person for batting, but not too sure about bowling or fielding. Even if there isn't, it's hands-down the finest Cricket video game I've played. If you like Cricket, you'll like this one. Unfortunately, it is fairly hard to come by here in the states, or retails for around $50-60, even though it came out last year. I think it's worth it, but if you (hypothetical reader who may not like Cricket) don't know if you like Cricket, watch a few matches before deciding.
Thank you so much. :) Tons to check out and absorb. I wish that price was lower. I generally do not go above $20 to pay for any game. Yes that means I have to be patient for prices to come down. :) I will drop a seed in the mind of some of the UK developers that we would love for them to try a port to the States. Maybe they will listen. :)

storm wrote:I would like archery, pool bowling and football Wish their was a nice motocross one somewhere since I can't ride in rl now might be fun to crash and burn online =)
Probably Archery is an indie made Archery title that is done in the first person. The game is glitchy at best. Help me out here, what is pool bowling? Totally with you on football, and motorcross. There might be a motorcross game with a first person. I am not sure. I know there are some F1 games so it would not be much farther for a motorcross game to get to the same point.
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Help me out here, what is pool bowling?
I think it was "archery, pool, bowling, and football" with a missing comma. ;)
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
storm
Gamer
Gamer
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Wow! Another person who likes Cricket! Brilliant!

storm wrote:I would like archery, pool bowling and football Wish their was a nice motocross one somewhere since I can't ride in rl now might be fun to crash and burn online =)
Probably Archery is an indie made Archery title that is done in the first person. The game is glitchy at best. Help me out here, what is pool bowling? Totally with you on football, and motorcross. There might be a motorcross game with a first person. I am not sure. I know there are some F1 games so it would not be much farther for a motorcross game to get to the same point.
sorry meant pool as in the game with cue ball and stick and bowling as in 10 pins and big ball two separate things -note to self- now i know why i need to use , , , =]
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
DaBossOfTheWorld
Noob
Noob
This would be awesome nfl 2k5 has it.
XxMonkeesGirlxX
Noob
Noob
Interesting. I think it would work. :D
Gublin2
Noob
Noob
I think that there should be a timber sports game. It would be really interesting to be some really big guy that climbs up a thick tree, and cuts it into even thirds.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Gublin2 wrote:I think that there should be a timber sports game. It would be really interesting to be some really big guy that climbs up a thick tree, and cuts it into even thirds.
Crank it like a chainsaw? :)