Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Happens all the time...
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Makes me feel better. It really does.

Why is it that the backrooms of various retail shops are always dark and cave like?
Darkkodiak
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:
Darkkodiak wrote:Do you agree with the quote below? If not, please elaborate on what you think.
I don't, because I disagree with the assertion that it's a works based system.

Even if one believes in a OSAS doctrine, it still requires that the person being saved make the conscious choice to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. It's no different in LDS. We have to choose to follow Him.

Usually when someone says a faith is "works based" they're suggesting that a person earns their way into Heaven. This is not so in LDS, for precisely the same reason as Protestant systems... lest one should boast.

As has been pointed out, the quote itself betrays a bias against LDS as a Christian system anyway, so I wouldn't expect the original author to have gained an accurate understanding on the LDS perspective on this issue.
Wow, I'm really glad I asked you that question because that is a response I did not expect. I learned something new today. Thank you for answering honestly! : ) I hope you won't mind if I ask a couple more later on...
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Darkkodiak wrote: Wow, I'm really glad I asked you that question because that is a response I did not expect. I learned something new today. Thank you for answering honestly! : ) I hope you won't mind if I ask a couple more later on...
No problem at all. I like answering friendly questions. :)
Last edited by ArcticFox on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
HankTheCowdog
How do you respond to people who use a lot of emoticons :?: :?: :?:

God's Not Dead!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I stop using them altogether, to balance them out!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Semi-mindless arena shooters like Unreal Tournament or Quake III?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Good way to relieve tension after a long work day.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yep.

Here's a development question for you:

If there is one aspect of Software Engineering that you could either do away with or heavily revamp, what would it be and why?

For me, I would probably want to do away with the Process-Over-Performance mentality that permeates some major corporations. It makes it harder to do actual work than it needs to be. Process is not an inherently bad thing. But when something like a code review criticizes your adherence (Or lack thereof) to the process instead of reviewing your code, you lose productivity.

Or maybe that's office politics, I don't know.

I would also like to see less strung-out toolchains. Having to go to, say, Rational Change to view change requests, then using CM Synergy (Please, no...) to do the code checkouts, then using SmartBear Collaborator for code reviews, and then using Rational Team Concert to do task grouping....it's a pain.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I would say documentation.

This is an especially common problem in the open source world, where people crank out lots of great code with great features, but without documentation it's a real chore to try and figure out how to use it. Having Google is an immense help, but nothing is better than good, solid documentation with examples.

I often find that even when something IS documented, it's written in such a way that it seems they take for granted things that aren't obvious to the new user of the software, and there's a lot of guesswork or tracing source code.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Truth. I'm having issues at my job with assumptions that I know what needs to be done without documentation.

When it comes to toolchains, do you prefer well-integrated solutions (But where some of the tools may not be that great, but workable), or non-integrated tools that are more difficult to interoperate, but do their job better?

I kind of go with a mixture. For instance, I really, really like integrating my Stories/Tasks (If you know Agile terminology) and Revision Control with my IDE, but if the bug tracking is done separately, it's fine by me. I also don't really care if my UML tool (Or other architecture design tool) doesn't generate code within my IDE: I probably wouldn't use it anyway (The code, that is). An integrated GUI Designer, though? I won't say I need it, but I want it.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I'm kind of loosely coupled when it comes to the tools I use. Same thing for my team. I don't much care how they get stuff done, so long as they get it done correctly. For source control we use Github and mostly we integrate with it using the Eclipse plugin eGit. That said, if the plugin is a bit buggy (and it is) then people need to know how to use alternate means to get their code into the repo.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The re-release of "Space Hulk"?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chozon1 wrote:The re-release of "Space Hulk"?
As someone who has it and likes it (But never played the tabletop game), I'm also curious.

*Warning: Some language, since it originated on 4chan*

DnD escapades?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:The re-release of "Space Hulk"?
Meh. I had bough the original Space Hulk back in the '90s when it first came out and all I really got out of it was the models.

It's really Warhammer 40,000: The Boardgame and is much tighter and more restricted. If you like that kind of play it's probably pretty good. I just felt it was really limiting compared to my options in the tabletop game.
Deepfreeze32 wrote: *Warning: Some language, since it originated on 4chan*

DnD escapades?
Haha nice.

This kinda illustrates why I didn't like the 3rd Edition. Reminds me of Pun Pun the kobold with infinite everything.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens