Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby re Contraception

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06 ... bby-lobby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

close margin 5-4
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I'm going to have to agree with Justice Ginsburg's dissenting opinion.
"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

And that's all I have to say about that.
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
I can agree with the sentiment of Ginsburg's dissent. Despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the left, this decision was very focused. It should have been much, much wider.
Sarcasm Begin

That would undoubtedly have pleased the honorable justice.

Sarcasm End
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Serious portion of post:

I'm still waiting til I can get unlimited quantities of alcohol at any age and commit acts of extreme violence in the name of my religion.

Anecdote:

I trolled someone on facebook so hard over this crap.

Being honest I couldn't care less about the decision, but someone made the mistake of saying no one within our borders has a right to resist the government, which combined with the fact that he was ripping into one of my childhood friends triggered my anarchist berserkr mode. After playing him into admitting his stance was discriminatory and that he was generally an uneducated, hubristic fool, he called me a right wing bigot who hates minorities, women, and liberals of any kind.

I proceeded to point out that anarchism is extreme leftism, as opposed to his penny ante white boy liberalism, and that saying an Asian hates minorities kinda makes him look like a dumb queynte. And, you know, that I actually follow the Aesir. His confusion at the idea someone actually cares enough to argue without being christian was amusing.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Orodrist wrote:Serious portion of post:

I'm still waiting til I can get unlimited quantities of alcohol at any age and commit acts of extreme violence in the name of my religion.
You equate a company being exempted from paying for certain types of birth control (Hobby Lobby will still pay for 16 of 20!) on religious grounds with a stepping stone toward government permitting violence in the name of religion?

I'd ask if you were being sarcastic, but you're not by your own admission.

Get some perspective, dude. A decision that says, "You can't be forced to drive into a concrete wall," isn't permitting you to drive your car through a parade full of people. As a self-professed anarchist you should recognize the difference between the state compelling a person to act and a person acting of their own volition.

Though in my experience anarchists are usually statists in disguise.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
I don't need sanction, I just need them to stop interfering. You only gain entrance into Valhalla or Folkvangr through death in battle, and it's hard to die in battle when the dang pigs keep butting in the middle of a scrap.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Interfering with what?

Orodrist
CCGR addict
Interfering with my fighting. Let me be more explicit since you seem to be perpetually missing points.

I'm Asatru. I follow Odin and Freya and the gods of my forefathers. By interrupting a fight, the pigs are interfering with the practice of my religion, as in order to attain our positive afterlife (though to be fair, what we call Hel is hardly your barbaric Judeo-Christian hell) we have to fall bravely in combat.

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Oh selderane,
there are somethings you should probably know about Oro.
Oro doesn't aways mean what he says. (from what I gather at least. :P )
He also likes to play the role as... what was it again Oro?

Even then though, I know Oro has a heart of gold in there.
It really stands out at times. :)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Oh I'm dead serious.

oregorn1997
Gamer
Gamer
Location: CreeperVille Kansas (actually I live in Florida, but I thought that sounded better)
I seem to remember someone once describing you as a "non-practicing pagan"?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but is this you Orodrist?

btw, slang interpretations: pigs = cops, or any sort of government employee (except mailmen. Who doesn't like mailmen?)
I am the Slayer... Of creepers... maybe a skele or two... and occasionally a zombie...

Anyone want some gunpowder?
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Nope, definitely practicing. Norse religious practices involve mostly fighting and drinking though.

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Justice Ginsburg's dissenting opinion.
"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

And that's all I have to say about that.
I have to agree with Ginsburg as well, which is odd. What also is odd is that I view it as a good thing. If an employer doesn't want to be forced to pay for something because it's against his or her religion, then he or she should not be forced to pay for it. Not just abortion, but anything. Simple as that. Jewish butchers should not be forced to sell bacon, for example. Christian book publishers should not be forced to print smut novels. Orodrist should not be forced into singing "give peace a chance."

Seriously, man. It might break your brain or make you go crazy(ier) or something. We like having you around.

Here is another opinion piece about the ruling that I thought made a lot of sense. One of the things that the author points out should be obvious - this decision does NOT ban "morning after" pills or other abortifacients. If someone wants to get something like that, all they have to do is go out and buy it (or I'm sure Planned Parenthood or other groups that want to legalize infanticide will be willing to give it away...). All it does is ensure that an employer doesn't pay for it themselves, if they disagree with it on religious grounds. If it's really that much of a sticking point for where you work, then why not go look for another job?
RoosterOnAStick
The question is where do you draw the line though? Sure we can all agree that Muslims who own a shop shouldn't be forced to sell alcohol, Catholic charities shouldn't be forced to give out birth control, Hindu restaurants should not be forced to serve beef, or Jewish shops forced to sell bacon, but what about more questionable religious practices?

Let's start with the blood transfusions for example, should that be allowed? What about a religious sect that doesn't believe in vaccinations or mental health? How about one of those snake handling groups that believe in handling poisonous snakes as a sign of their faith and do not believe in seeking anti-venom? They may be somewhat extreme examples but these do exist.

I am not saying I am against the ruling, because we need these religious freedoms, but a lot more needs to be fleshed out in order to prevent misuse. In my opinion, all rights come with responsibilities attached to them, and we must abide by those responsibilities. One of the responsibilities in this case is not allowing certain "religious" beliefs to put people in life-threatening situations for no good reason. This isn't like free speech issues where the main consequence is hurting people with words, we are talking life or death here in some cases.
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple
Sstavix
CCGR addict
RoosterOnAStick wrote: Let's start with the blood transfusions for example, should that be allowed? What about a religious sect that doesn't believe in vaccinations or mental health? How about one of those snake handling groups that believe in handling poisonous snakes as a sign of their faith and do not believe in seeking anti-venom? They may be somewhat extreme examples but these do exist.
If an employer attempts to force their employees to do any of those (and in the first two examples, I'm not sure how they could...), then the employee can simply find a different place to work. Similarly, if a customer doesn't like that the owner of that establishment believes in X, they can refuse to shop there. (I happen to do this, myself.) In instances like these - which would be exceedingly rare, I might point out - let the free market decide. If the owner of the company finds that they can't hire anyone and no one is shopping there, it might encourage them to consider a different approach.