I had a dream

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
lilylilac
Noob
Noob
I'm not sure if this is the right section, please let me know.

I had a dream that I was a sheep, and I was walking through the field with my sheep friend.
(I imagine, this is symbolic because Jesus refers to us as his flock)

My friend asks if I know if there's any good grazing land, I say yes, I do. I take him to a beautiful garden with huge flowers in magnificant colors, it is cool, shaded, well watered and the grass is delicious.

My friend says, "Praise God! You are surely blessed for God to show you such wonders!"

I feel myself swell with pride, pawing at the ground confidently, I choose not to glorify God.

"Well, I've been living in these pastures a long time, I know this area inside and out."

Suddenly the clouds of heaven break open and a huge hand from the sky reaches down and grabs me.
(The hand of God possibly?)

It takes me out of the beautiful area and puts me up on a high mountain, that is covered with grass, enough to keep me alive, but nothing like the nice garden I left. The sun is beating hard on my back, there is no shade or no water.
(Jesus who is the living water? Maybe?)

I am alone and unhappy, and know that I'll never be able to find my way home.

A voice booms from the Heavens. "You are being punished."

I bleated out my sorrow and then woke up.

Background:

I am often afraid that I am not saved, I don't really understand the concept of it.
My friend tells me that because I try to improve myself and live life to God's standard I am trying to,
"earn my way to heaven through works and not grace," and thus am not saved.
Is this dream just my worry manifesting itself, or a very real warning?
All help is appreciated.

God bless you all.

-Liz.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
There is nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself. Jesus said, in Matthew 5:48

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Of course we can't actually be perfect, but it's the effort that improves us. We won't become perfect but we will become more spiritual for the attempt.

You are right to recognize pride though, and that should be avoided. All of the good things in life, including the things that we earn through our efforts, ultimately come to us because God enables it. I may work hard and earn a decent living, but it's only because God led me to this place and gave me the talents and health to do what I do for a living.

If you find wisdom like that from your dream, embrace it. The Holy Spirit communicates with us in a variety of ways.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
interesting dream, thanks for sharing!

As for being saved, have you ever had that "Aha!" moment in life where you realize it's not about what you can ever do (works) but what God has done for you? Salvation is not earned, it is given (Rom 5:8) but to receive it we must acknowledge that we are sinners. Everyone is (Rom 3:23). We have to repent from our sins and accept Jesus as Lord in our lives (Rom 10:9), that means we give him the steering wheel and we become the passenger.

Our salvation does not end with saying "that prayer". Our relationship with God is a constant walk and striving to be better and fulfilling His purpose in our lives. Yes we can go our own way, but how awesome it is that we can be a part of God's plan! Sometimes being a part of God's plan has dire consequences. Are you ready for ridicule, persecution or death?

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.
lilylilac
Noob
Noob
Thankyou for all of your help! It is much appreciated!

I feel less confused and scared now. That makes me very happy.

God Bless You All.

-Liz.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.