Breaking Bad

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
So I don't know how many of you guys have watched this show, and I am only on season 3 myself, but if you haven't then... SPOILER ALERT!

I have discovered a character on that show whom I find to be so annoying, so unpleasant, so loathsome, that I just had to go out on the web and see what other people were saying about her. I'm talking about Skyler White, the main character's wife.

I was also shocked to see that the creator of the show flat out said that anybody who doesn't like this character is a misogynist.
Man, I don’t see it that way at all. We’ve been at events and had all our actors up onstage, and people ask Anna Gunn, “Why is your character such a @#$!?” And with the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I think the people who have these issues with the wives being too !@#$% on Breaking Bad are misogynists, plain and simple. I like Skyler a little less now that she’s succumbed to Walt’s machinations, but in the early days she was the voice of morality on the show.
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/vince- ... ler-white/

And I just want to grab this guy by the collar and shout "DUDE. You wrote a character who is essentially a foil to the main character in the show, who is himself a man turning evil, but is sympathetic and meant to be rooted for. Why would you register surprise when people dislike the foil?"

Not only that, but I keep hearing people describe Skyler as a "strong, complex character." Really? I see no character strength here at all. I see very little complexity, and I see NOTHING to make me want to like this character. Granted, I'm only in season 3, so maybe it'll get better, but for now, here's what we have:

Someone who breaches Walt's trust by telling people about his cancer when he wanted it kept private. Of course, she justifies this, like she justifies everything she does. Mind you, he was slow to tell HER about his cancer which, while I think that was a bad move on his part, is easier to understand considering how she reacted. Maybe he had good reason to hesitate to open up to her...

We have a bully. When Skyler wants to confront Walt because she thinks he's been smoking weed, she stages an intervention with her sister and brother-in-law. (No one-on-one talks for this coward.) She insists that only the person who is currently holding the "talking pillow" may speak, unless of course she wants to talk when not holding it. She insists she wants everyone to speak openly and honestly, and goes ballistic the instant someone says something that she doesn't like.

We have a coward. Skyler can always be counted upon to take whatever path is easiest, whether it's moral or not. In the early stages, whenever she gets mad at Walt, she leaves. She runs away. She refused to talk to him, or to listen to his side. She just gets mad, runs to her car and drives away. When she (finally) realizes Walt has been lying to her does she confront him with the lies? Heck no, that would require a little courage. She just orders him to leave the house, as though she had the authority to do so. "I want you out." Nevermind that they have 2 kids at this point. They'll just have to deal with it, I guess. When she wants to drive him out she has an affair. When she can't get rid of him she just curls up and lets it all happen.

When she does eventually confront Walt with his lies, she only does it because he forces the issue by refusing to sign the divorce papers. Oh, you didn't know? She went and decided she wanted a divorce without a single conversation to warn Walt of her intentions. (I guess that's what makes a character strong and complex.)

When Walt forces the who-lives-where issue by moving back in (which he has a right to do), she decides to try and drive him out by having an affair with her boss. Yep, the "voice of morality" that one.

Mind you, when she does finally learn that Walt's been manufacturing drugs, does she call the cops? Nope. (Understandable, in that she didn't want to ruin Walt's image in the kids' eyes... but that does cost you the "voice of morality" badge.) Does she try to make him stop? Nope. (I guess we couldn't hear the voice of morality over the stack of cash.) She just keeps on sleeping with the boss.

Maybe this character was intended to be a strong, moral character who is complex and likable, but the writers failed to convey this. The show's creator failed to convey this, and maybe it's just my over-sensitivity, but I resent having someone out there who lumps everybody with my opinion under the heading of "misogynist."
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
I don't think anyone really liked Skyler that much. Although, she did seem to get on my nerves a lot less around the end of season 4 through all of season 5.
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
LAVA89
What I really like about the show is that no character is perfect or the true hero, which is very realistic. If you look at it that way, I think Skyler was a very well written character. So its a shame that Gilligan is making her out to be good guy and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I could go more into the imperfections of each character, but I don't want to spoil anything.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I didn't mind Skylar so much until Season 3. She's a great character, just not a very likable one.

Welcome to the Breaking Bad cult, AF!
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Hehe thanks. I just finished Season 4.

O_O ...ouchie.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArcticFox wrote:Hehe thanks. I just finished Season 4.

O_O ...ouchie.
No half measures.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Just half a face...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Second half of Season 5 is on Netflix as of today!!! Woo!!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
Ozymandias remains my favorite episode of the entire show. Make sure you read the poem that it's named after as well.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
A friend of mine and I were talking about the matter of Walter being a villain, but yet a sympathetic character that you sort of root for. The turning point would come when it got to where you WANT Hank to catch him.

Well that turning point came for me just now... episode "Confessions"
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:A friend of mine and I were talking about the matter of Walter being a villain, but yet a sympathetic character that you sort of root for. The turning point would come when it got to where you WANT Hank to catch him.

Well that turning point came for me just now... episode "Confessions"
For me it was the one where
Spoiler:
Walt and Skylar blackmail Hank and Marie with the fake confession video.
(You should have seen that by now AF, so don't worry about what's under the spoiler tags.)

My sister watched the series recently. She was a huge Skylar apologist until that episode.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Well, as of yesterday, I've finished the series.

Wow.

I dunno... it was good and yet, I can't really think of any characters I truly liked or latched onto. I liked Hank, but it took a while for him to grow on me and he still did some jerk things along the way. So I wasn't all that emotionally invested.

I did like the quality of the show and the way it was done. 4/5 stars.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
LAVA89
ArcticFox wrote: I dunno... it was good and yet, I can't really think of any characters I truly liked or latched onto.
Yeah, that's actually what I liked about the show. Every character had some kind of flaw. That to me, made it seem very realistic.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That was what I liked about Battlestar Galactica too...

Only thing is, A character with flaws is a good character, but can still be likable and maybe even heroic if they can overcome those flaws. There wasn't enough of that in Breaking Bad. Hank comes pretty close, so if I had to pick a favorite it would be him.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens