Does God care about the ratings?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
thewildfire
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Hi all,

I live in New Zealand and I am 15. And in NZ our rating system for games is a little different. A game that would be rated mature is, say, R16 for Restricted. That means that anyone under 16 is legally forbidden to play a game rated as such. But does God care about the rating? If it cannot be policed (which it can't be), and no one cares anyway, should I be so worried about it? Many of my friends are 16 and so can play killzone and battlefield 3 (both r16), but ratchet and clank just isnt so appealing anymore. Am I doing wrong to God by just doing what every else does? Does he mind that much?
Anyway, any repy is much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read my long winded post.
-thewildfire
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Welcome to the site! I believe that everyone is wired differently and has different convictions. What one person plays may be offensive to another. Follow your conscience, if you feel bad playing a certain type of game, then you probably shouldn't be playing it.
thewildfire
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:Welcome to the site! I believe that everyone is wired differently and has different convictions. What one person plays may be offensive to another. Follow your conscience, if you feel bad playing a certain type of game, then you probably shouldn't be playing it.

Thank you!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:Welcome to the site! I believe that everyone is wired differently and has different convictions. What one person plays may be offensive to another. Follow your conscience, if you feel bad playing a certain type of game, then you probably shouldn't be playing it.
^ This.

The rating system isn't directly based upon Christian values, so don't trust it to keep you away from spiritual trouble.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
blacksinow
I am going to give you what I hope becomes useful advice. Start off slow and work your way up to more adult rated games. If you feel that something is too inappropriate for you, then by all means don't play it. But let me ask, what systems do you have?
thewildfire
Noob
Noob
blacksinow wrote:I am going to give you what I hope becomes useful advice. Start off slow and work your way up to more adult rated games. If you feel that something is too inappropriate for you, then by all means don't play it. But let me ask, what systems do you have?
Thanks for the advice.
I have a laptop (a pretty slow one, but alright for Minecraft and Terraria),a psvita and my family shares a ps3.
Its not so much the content that worries me, I know where I draw the line at some stuff, but more the fact I am worried that God cares I am going against the rating. But, then again NZ is a country that has no age restriction on drinking alcohol.

On the lighter side, Merry Christmas.
blacksinow
Okay, got a good suggestion... well a few for the VITA.

Tearaway is a platformer from the people that brought us the Little Big Planet franchise. It uses ALL of the VITA's features, I had a blast with it and it is fairly family friendly. Little Big Planet is also another one for the VITA and so is Spelunky(sp?). One game to stay away from is probably Dragon's Crown, the graphic style is NOT for everyone and some parents may even consider it a tad too adult (sorceror comes to mind in this reasoning). I don't think that there are guidelines for which rated games are considered unholy (believe me, that would make things so much easier and we'd all probably end up with the nintendo consoles, not that I mind). Really, no age limit on drinking?!
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
If it is a matter of being worried about it being illegal to be 15 and play r16 games, then i would simply say, don't play them. I refer you to Romans 13:1-7

If it is a matter of worrying about the content, i agree with what the others have said here. If you believe that what you're seeing/playing/hearing is wrong and will affect you badly, do not play it.

Pray about it! :D
This is my signature
blacksinow
I will say one thing, it has to be something that YOU think about. Let it be about your personal beliefs and go with it and as mentioned, pray about it. But considering how outdated some churches are about gaming, I'd think twice about consulting them. People are already trying to make video games to be scape goat for school shootings afterall.
cjv
thewildfire wrote: NZ is a country that has no age restriction on drinking alcohol.

Im packing my bags right now.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
blacksinow
cjv wrote:
thewildfire wrote: NZ is a country that has no age restriction on drinking alcohol.

Im packing my bags right now.
I think the next question to ask is "What is the liquor like?"