Age of Empires

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
On the bright side, the developers of the "Forgotten Empires" get some of the money from the "Forgotten" DLC.
(At least they should, as the team was a part of developing it for the HD version.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Glad to hear that; makes me feel better for having bought it.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
For those still looking to get it,
It's once again 75% off.

I think I just might get it this time,
though I'll probably buy the whole Age of Empires Legacy Bundle if I do.
I would like to know though, how is the 3rd game?

LAVA89
JOJ650s wrote: I would like to know though, how is the 3rd game?
Graphically, its amazing. Gameplay wise, its holds up the standard and the difficulties are a bit more evened out than AOE2 (for instance, in AOE2, the shift from standard to moderate difficulty was a much bigger jump).

But they did throw in some gimmicks to spruce things up, like you get these "decks" with cards, where each card allows you to summon specific goods \ units from your home city (kind of like stuff you got from the gods in Age of Mythology). And your home city is basically this profile you get that can be leveled up (yes, they added RPG elements). What does make it cool is that skirmishes you play actually have more significance because each battle gives you more XP's which allow you to get better cards.

So in a nutshell, if you don't mind the card gimmick (you can ignore it) and you like the time period then really AOE3's only fault is that its not the 2nd game.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Well, graphically, it hasn't been amazing for a bit. I can't put my finger on anything wrong about it, it just doesn't do it for me personally, and I'll always opt for the 2nd.
There's a spark about the 2nd one. So, you're right, Lava. AoE3 isn't a bad RTS, it's biggest fault is just that it's not the AoE2.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Okay, I decided to hold off on Age of Empires 3 for now. (I would like to try AoE2 first.)
and well, the Age of Empires Legacy Bundle saves me only around a dollar
compared to getting AoE2 + DLC, and AoE3 separately.

Thanks for all the info by the way! :)

LAVA89
JOJ650s wrote:Okay, I decided to hold off on Age of Empires 3 for now. (I would like to try AoE2 first.)
Yeah, definitely get your fill with AOE2 before trying the 3rd game.
JOJ650s wrote:Thanks for all the info by the way! :)
Hope it helped :)
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
LAVA89 wrote:
JOJ650s wrote: I would like to know though, how is the 3rd game?
Graphically, its amazing. Gameplay wise, its holds up the standard and the difficulties are a bit more evened out than AOE2 (for instance, in AOE2, the shift from standard to moderate difficulty was a much bigger jump).

But they did throw in some gimmicks to spruce things up, like you get these "decks" with cards, where each card allows you to summon specific goods \ units from your home city (kind of like stuff you got from the gods in Age of Mythology). And your home city is basically this profile you get that can be leveled up (yes, they added RPG elements). What does make it cool is that skirmishes you play actually have more significance because each battle gives you more XP's which allow you to get better cards.

So in a nutshell, if you don't mind the card gimmick (you can ignore it) and you like the time period then really AOE3's only fault is that its not the 2nd game.

I'm not sure how bad AOE2 is in the way of balance, but there's also a way in AOE3 to play the deck with France that makes your gendarmes (spl?) the most overpowered unit in the game. I have this... ahem... jerk friend who consistently abuses this and eventually wipes the map with a roving horde of them. Luckily, a couple of us learned to cope with it, namely another friend who mastered Russia.

The cards, for me, are interesting and annoying. On the one hand, it's a coolish game mechanic that keeps you on your toes. On the other hand, I don't like that two people can play the same country with the same skill level but one will lose to the other because he didn't level up his cards.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
bennythecomputer
Noob
Noob
Great game :D
Lennythecomputer
Noob
Noob
ive got an error installing the asian dynasty's expansion pack:(
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
try running it as admin?
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
...are these two bots?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
brothers from Australia methinks
longtomjr
Noob
Noob
Guys I own AoK(AoE2) With Expansion and FE. I Have AoE Gold. All came with the collectors edition I bought. I am a huge fan of AoK FE and I would love playing with you guys some. I also have AoE 3 with both expansions. I will love to play with you guys. I havent played 3 in a while but I will hopefully pic it up fast :).

God bless
Longtomjr
NovaSword13
Noob
Noob
I haven't played AOE3 or AOE2 in a long time, but reading this makes me want to start playing it more. I used to be pretty good. I could beat expert games somewhat reliably.