Steam Question

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey guys!

My dad needs to reset my computer before school starts again, so I have been backing things up to an external hard-drive. I tried to back-up Steam and it wouldn't show up in the files on the hard-drive. Is my library saved on their site so that I can just re-download and install all my stuff? or is there a way to back-up all my Steam files? If there's a specific way to do it (other than drag-and-dropping the file) could someone explain how I would do this?
Spoiler:

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
All you games you own on Steam are tied to your account. You can install. remove, re-install, install on another computer just fine. Don't worry about your games.

Besides, just picking up and moving your games to a new computer will not work. Most games have entries in the computer registry that get filed in on installation. Without those, your game will not run.

As for your game saves, some of them are stored on the Steam Servers, but some of them stay on your hard drive, so you'd want to back those up.
I'm not on my home computer, so I can't fully verify, but I believed they are mostly stored in (If you are on Windows 7, if not, it's probably a similar location):
C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User>\Local Settings\Application Data\<Game Studio Name>\<Game Name>
These are also hidden files, so be sure to set your folder settings to view them. You also might want to check on a per-game basis. Some might store it elsewhere, like in a saved games folder in My Documents or in their SteamApps folder under the Steam Directory. (if you simply wanted to know where your games are located, it's in the Steam directory, under steamapps.)
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Emwok
CCGR addict
Ah ok. Thanks! :D
Spoiler:

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Oh, even though you most likely already found it with the help of Arch,
there is another folder called "my games" in the "my documents" folder,
that is where you can the Terraria folder with holds all of your Terraria related saves.
(Namely the worlds and character saves.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
looks like those responses got ya covered :)
Noobyhead99
I'm pretty sure there's also an option to back up game files either in one of the menus or in a game's properties.
Spoiler:
LAVA89
Noobyhead99 wrote:I'm pretty sure there's also an option to back up game files either in one of the menus or in a game's properties.
There is: At the top menu > Steam (far left) > Backup and Restore Games

Also, some games, like Batman: Arkham Asylum erase your saves everytime you reinstall the game, as some stupid DRM tactic. Though the steam back ups might remedy this.

On the other hand, Arkham City keeps your saves on a cloud server, I believe.