Xbox One vs. US Army

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Guess who else doesn't like Microsoft's restrictions?

I just love M$'s response: "Oh well, that's too bad, you'll just get an Xbox 360." -_-
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
delve
Are you human?: Yes!
Noice. At least someone finally managed to get some honest answers from them about the connectivity requirements. I personally wouldn't call them drunk on their koolaid; this is the direction Microsoft has been heading since at least 2004. This isn't a new direction but instead it's a direction that's only now begun to impact everyone. And people are discovering they don't like it.

Wonder if Sony, as suggested, is busy producing another sharing-style advert. :roll:
LAVA89
I hope all of this backfires on them.
delve wrote:this is the direction Microsoft has been heading since at least 2004. This isn't a new direction but instead it's a direction that's only now begun to impact everyone. And people are discovering they don't like it.
I agree for the most part. I disagree with the timing. I would say it mostly started once Bill Gates pulled out of the company and its campaign for Windows 8 started. Because now they're on some kind of crusade to get a piece of the app store action. Whereas all versions of Windows, up until 8, I would say were mostly just meant to be a platform for many different systems to thrive and conduct business (i.e. Steam, which is only just now switching over to Linux).

Windows 7 was a relatively safe OS while Windows 8 tries to grid lock everyone. And design wise, Windows 8 is a mess and does a 180 on everything that made Windows work in the past.
delve
Um, no. They've been making noises about 'trusted computing' and processor level DRM apparently since 2002 (my off-the-cuff above was off by 2 years, sorry). As I recall there was a rather significant backlash and they've kept their head down since as they watched various medias deal with the internet. Or at least down enough that I haven't noticed. They never changed the plan though, just the timelines and technical details.

Here
Here
Here
And here
And one from my favorite source of analysis on security matters
LAVA89
delve wrote:Um, no.
Way to put a dampener on our civil discussion, lol!

That's interesting about the processor DRM stuff, and good to know, thanks for the links.

But when would you say their push for doing app store kind of stuff started to happen? To me, their overall approach to Windows 8 is completely different than how they handled their OS's in the past. But I could be wrong.
delve
Sorry. I'm not trying to be uncivil. I'm just aware of facts that entirely contradict what you stated. Which I linked for your reading pleasure. :)

It's possible the 'app store' theme is a slightly new trend but to be honest I see that as a offshoot of the SaaS direction they've been on for a couple of years now along with every other major player. To be honest though that's merely a strategy (and probably the least offensive strategy when done well) in the overall business plan of tomorrow's Software Overlords. And it doesn't have much to do with the statements in the linked article >.>

I think we're riding slightly divergent conversational tracks. :)