Trading Card Games.

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I feel like I've missed out on something fun in my life, and that is collecting and playing with trading cards.

The only cards I've ever owned were Pokemon cards, but I never really played the game and it was a phase that I went through when I was a child.

I'd love to get into a TCG, but I don't think I'll be able to find any clubs that would be willing to help me learn the game and play a few games with, so I was wondering if there is a good online TCG that is well populated? Bonus points if the physical cards that you purchase can be put in the game as well. Not sure if that works, but that would be cool.

Again, I don't know much about this sorta stuff, but I really got this urge to start collecting cards. It's something I've always wanted to do, and I'm sure many can admit that it's very satisfying when you open up that booster pack to find that one card you've always dreamed to own.
delve
There's several Magic: The Gathering games on Steam. The Duels 2013 single player campaign tries to evoke that deck building, card winning, collecting experience. Haven't actually played multiplayer to say how it runs. There's no virtual/physical crossover that I'm aware of in it but the rules seem to be true to the physical game and the help functions explain them pretty clearly. I can't speak for any of the other MTG Steam games.

Don't know if MTG is still played in game shops or not. I dropped out of that scene in college. I imagine if you approached a comic/game store owner they could tell you about any CCG groups in your area (at least the ones that meet in that store) and you'd probably be welcome to sit in on the gaming until you could pick it up. Games die from lack of players.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
In Idaho I know that there are still a few places that have local Magic tournaments. In fact, I recently read about a store in Boise that boasts so much about their collection of Magic cards that it's the central focus on their Web site. I can't speak for other areas, but it seems to be alive and well here in the Pacific Northwest.

Of course, since Wizards of the Coast is based out of the Seattle area, I guess that's isn't too surprising....
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I dropped out of the TCG scene a decade or so ago, but I recently discovered Wagic: The Homebrew for PSP. I can't speak as to its quality comparitatively, but it does feel like a TCG.

I can't remember if you have a PSP or Vita "able" to play homebrew, but if you do, it's a free way to give a virtual TCG a shot.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
delve wrote:There's several Magic: The Gathering games on Steam. The Duels 2013 single player campaign tries to evoke that deck building, card winning, collecting experience. Haven't actually played multiplayer to say how it runs. There's no virtual/physical crossover that I'm aware of in it but the rules seem to be true to the physical game and the help functions explain them pretty clearly. I can't speak for any of the other MTG Steam games.

Don't know if MTG is still played in game shops or not. I dropped out of that scene in college. I imagine if you approached a comic/game store owner they could tell you about any CCG groups in your area (at least the ones that meet in that store) and you'd probably be welcome to sit in on the gaming until you could pick it up. Games die from lack of players.
Thanks. I'll see if I can get a good deal on that Magic game.

I wonder if there is a Yu-Gi-Oh online TCG. I know there's a Pokemon one and a Warcraft one coming soon, but I don't know the quality of them. Magic seems to be the best one.

As for finding a shop or two, the only ones I know of are only into tabletop. For some reason, I'm not all to fascinated by it. Though admittedly, I've never tried it either.
Chozon1 wrote:I dropped out of the TCG scene a decade or so ago, but I recently discovered Wagic: The Homebrew for PSP. I can't speak as to its quality comparitatively, but it does feel like a TCG.

I can't remember if you have a PSP or Vita "able" to play homebrew, but if you do, it's a free way to give a virtual TCG a shot.
My old psp messed up somehow. The screen is barely functioning. I think I was charging it and the electricity went out, and that's what ruined it.

My vita doesn't have homebrew on it.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I love the pokemon trading card game, I have a very nice non-virtual deck. (As far as I know. :P )
Though I haven't really dueled to many people, mainly my brother. (Who also has a neat deck.)

I did try the official Pokemon trading card game site here.
Though I tried it when it was in beta, (there was no-online at the time.)
but from what I could tell from the offline battles it's pretty good.
(Though I am not sure what it's like now, or online for that matter.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I think it is online now. I signed up for it, then it said I needed a parent. I'm 22 for crying out loud. They wanted me to make two accounts, so I gave up.

As for the cards themselves, I would get into them but I hear that they're not as big as they used to be. I don't know if that's true or not.

I used to collect Redemption cards when I was a bit older. Though I don't remember what happened to them. I had a pretty decently sized deck. About 200 cards.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Back around prequel time (don't hate <_<) I had a good 1500 card deck of various sets of the Star Wars TCG. Then there was the whole incident with burning them and there went all those good times.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Krytae wrote:I think it is online now. I signed up for it, then it said I needed a parent. I'm 22 for crying out loud. They wanted me to make two accounts, so I gave up.
Wow, that wasn't in the Beta. :wtc:

I am not sure how big the cards themselves are ether.
I think they still do tournaments, though I am not sure how they work.
Orodrist wrote:Back around prequel time (don't hate <_<) I had a good 1500 card deck of various sets of the Star Wars TCG. Then there was the whole incident with burning them and there went all those good times.
That's one sad story Oro.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Used to have Yu-Gi-Oh! cards in high school.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I stopped caring for cards once Yu-Gi-Oh became big. That was around grade 6, I think I was like 11 or 12.

I did like Beyblades though. I think I still have 'em. I bought one of those chinese spark blades that would destroy my opponents. I got a lot of cool tops (or whatever those parts were) when we played for keepsies.
prophet2004
Noob
Noob
Blue wrote:I think it is online now. I signed up for it, then it said I needed a parent. I'm 22 for crying out loud. They wanted me to make two accounts, so I gave up.

As for the cards themselves, I would get into them but I hear that they're not as big as they used to be. I don't know if that's true or not.

I used to collect Redemption cards when I was a bit older. Though I don't remember what happened to them. I had a pretty decently sized deck. About 200 cards.
My dad used to play Redemption when he was younger. He has a few Pokemon decks now and plays me sometimes, but he plays online even more than I do.
Emwok
CCGR addict
BLUE!!!!! IT'S BEEN FO'EVAH. lol. Anyway it's good to see you again (not that I have room to talk about not being on the forum :/).

I play Yu-Gi-Oh on a site called Dueling Network. On DN, you have access to all of the Yu-Gi-Oh cards ever created to put into your deck and you can battle against other live players. Plus, they sometimes have tournaments and to join the site you have to pay $0.00. I play on there sometimes but if you want to give it a go, send me a message over steam or give me a pm (preferably later on Saturday or Sunday afternoon (I have too much school during the week)) and we can duel.
Spoiler: