Braid

Puzzle and casual game talk
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
am I the only one too impatient for this? XD
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
have it but haven't really played it :\
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I've heard people rave about this so I got it on a steam sale... I dunno. The controls aren't precise enough to achieve the occasional trickily-timed puzzle--in my case, I have a heard time trying to land on enemies' heads or cloud platforms because the guy is so darned floaty
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Just finished this yesterday. I loved it gamewise, but the story left me rather confused. I think you have to read a lot into it to get anything.

But I'd place it up in the top 10 puzzlers I've played. It's...stunningly brilliant sometimes. I solved a few and was like "what the bleeps how they come up with that". :lol: I also had no problem with the controls. Especially since you can rewind time. :P

I'ma try to get my parents to play it. Just to see the "my mind just got blown" looks.

I think I only got help on two of the puzzles.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I found the level design to be superb and the whole game to be one of the best examples of how gaming is an art.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The fun thing about the levels in Braid is how simple they look--and then you actually try to solve the thing.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:I found the level design to be superb and the whole game to be one of the best examples of how gaming is an art.
Agreed. It's easily one of my favorite games, because it works on so many levels. I am eagerly anticipating Jonathan Blow's next game.
Chozon1 wrote:Just finished this yesterday. I loved it gamewise, but the story left me rather confused. I think you have to read a lot into it to get anything.
That's one of the appeals, in my mind, and a good example of how this game can be seen as art. The story - as well as all the symbols in the game - are left up to you, the player / viewer - to interpret. The fact that Blow hasn't come forward to really explain any of it helps a lot. What does the game and it's story mean to you, especially now that you've finished it? The fact that you're even contemplating what it could mean is a sign of how the game affects you. It's like when you walk out of a good movie or set down a novel, and that feeling of how you're somehow changed by what you've witnessed or experienced (only in a good way). It's rare to find a video game that evokes such similar reactions.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
For me, that's simply a cop out for having no story. :P I'm happy with a tale that doesn't spoon feed me, and happier with one that's deeply complex. But there needs to be some cohesiveness, some point for it to matter to me. Braid was so disjointed and nebulous that unless you write your own story with the little blurbs added for seasoning, you're left with nothing. I cannot call that good design or writing, even if other can and will. Iit didn't make me think about the story and what it meant so much as make me try to see if there even was a story, there inside the brilliant level design and incredibly clever puzzles.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I got this game a few days ago from an awesome friend. :mrgreen:

I love the gameplay,
I am quite a fan of puzzles, so the game ended rather quick. (though I thought they were really fun and clever. :) )
I am also quite a fan of mysteries, but I also like the mysteries to be revealed.

So this was pretty much what happened after I bet the game.
Spoiler:
I found the books at the end to be pretty confusing,
so after completing a speed run, I surfed the net to see if there was anything I missed.

I heard there was an alternate ending, and that I would have to collect 7/8 stars for it too.
As much as I like to collect hidden secret items,
I heard I'll have start over to get one of them, and I heard another takes a really long time to get.
So, I just watched the alternate ending on Youtube, which left me more confused, and well kinda disturbed. (I kinda felt like a villain in the story even.)
Sooo, I read a theory that seems right, every little thing seemed to fit into place, and make sense,
but even with the full story before me, it felt... well... empty.
Though yes, it was an quite an experience.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Brion777
Noob
Noob
Lol I got through half of it and quit. Tried it a year later... got through half and quit. I know how you feel!
It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation. (Romans 15:20)