Star Wars

skywalkerb1999
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
I was wondering what everyone thought about Gorge Lucas selling Lucas Films to Disney? Do you think Disney will do a good job with the next 3 movies?
I came, I saw, I mined.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
They'll do great, if the recent wave of Marvel Comics movies is any indication.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
skywalkerb1999
Noob
Noob
Yeah I hope they do, I am glad that they are doing it though, if they hadn’t bought Lucas films and started the making the next 3 movies, I don’t think Gorge Lucas would have ever made them. He was afraid that if he started making them, that he might not live to finish them.
I came, I saw, I mined.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Rumor has it J.J. Abrams is the director for Star Wars VII. He did the Star Trek reboot really well, I'm excited to see what he can bring to the Star Wars universe.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
I honestly really hope he doesn't. I get the feeling that if he tried to tackle Star Wars, it would end up feeling very similar to his Trek. I liked the first one, but Star Trek Into Darkness looks a little bit meh to me - I feel like it's losing a lot of appeal that the show had for me. I think it'll still be a fun ride, but I personally would hesitate to call it Star Trek.

Edit: It's officially confirmed. :/
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Allow me to give an alternative viewpoint. I understand the objections to the Star Trek reboot on it not being "trekkie" enough. The thing is, it's not very trekkie. It's a fast-paced action movie with star trek themes and threads. But, standing on it's own, it's a genuinely good movie.

At this point, I think J.J. Abrams would fit even better for Star Wars. Star Wars and Star Trek aren't equivalent universes. They're as different as Fantasy and Science Fiction.

Star Trek, going off the T.V. Episodes, is largely an intellectual piece. You don't watch it for the action sequences, it's a show that makes you think. It's full of inaccessible pseudo-technical jargon and philosophical questions and let's face it, it's largely niched. A lot of people didn't find the movie as trekkie because it didn't focus on these characteristics. It kept some of the Star Trek elements, but translated it into a medium that a larger audience can enjoy. And, honestly, I liked it a lot. I like the movie being action packed and the series being a little more intellectual.

Star Wars, on the other hand, is hardly a science fiction work at all. Nobody cares how hyperdrive works (they do in Star Trek) and we just accept the Force as a form of magic. Star Wars is about the world, it's about the characters and their journey, and here all the elements that made the new Star Trek less trekkie can keep Star Wars very Star Wars.

Besides, we all know J.J. Abrahms can direct a better movie than Lucas.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
I do think he's a better fit with Star Wars, but I'm just thinking that when Episode VII comes out it's going to have that 'been there, done that' feeling because of what he's done with Star Trek. Of course, this also all depends on the writing as well, and how much control the producers are going to inflict on him.

I'll have no expectations, and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
I haven't seen much of the original television series, so I'm not sure what I should "expect" a Star Trek movie to be like, but I was at the midnight premiere for The Hobbit where they showed an 8 minute preview of Star Trek: Into Darkness, and it seemed like it was going to be better than the first Abrams one. But this is from a guy who, again, hasn't seen much of the tv show, so YMMV.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
:D
[Insert witty afterthought here]
blacksinow
It always annoys me when all the star wars fans say that SW7 is going to have Mickey Mouse in it. I've seen about every Disney-owned Marvel movie and I've yet to be dissapointed. Whether you like it or not, Disney generally does an amazing job at making movies.
LAVA89
blacksinow wrote:It always annoys me when all the star wars fans say that SW7 is going to have Mickey Mouse in it. I've seen about every Disney-owned Marvel movie and I've yet to be dissapointed. Whether you like it or not, Disney generally does an amazing job at making movies.
Yeah, if nothing else...they have the money to hire the right people. Pixar is actually a good example of this, rather than let them go off on their own (and thus make Disney actually have to make movies on their own), they flat out bought them. Now Pixar has the money to cultivate their movies rather than jump around looking for distributors, or worse, go through the nasty business of marketing their own movies (though with their track record it might've not been that hard). Pixar just has to pay Disney tribute in the form of sequels. And not only that, Disney took one of Pixar's brightest and put him as the head of Disney Animation.

In other words, Disney is the John Hammond of making movies.
blacksinow
LAVA89 wrote:
blacksinow wrote:It always annoys me when all the star wars fans say that SW7 is going to have Mickey Mouse in it. I've seen about every Disney-owned Marvel movie and I've yet to be dissapointed. Whether you like it or not, Disney generally does an amazing job at making movies.
Yeah, if nothing else...they have the money to hire the right people. Pixar is actually a good example of this, rather than let them go off on their own (and thus make Disney actually have to make movies on their own), they flat out bought them. Now Pixar has the money to cultivate their movies rather than jump around looking for distributors, or worse, go through the nasty business of marketing their own movies (though with their track record it might've not been that hard). Pixar just has to pay Disney tribute in the form of sequels. And not only that, Disney took one of Pixar's brightest and put him as the head of Disney Animation.

In other words, Disney is the John Hammond of making movies.
Pixar and Disney are certainly a pair and I've yet to see a terrible Pixar movie to date. Mind you, I've never liked Finding Nemo... But is it bad, certainly not.
LAVA89
Yeah, the only one I haven't liked so far (granted...still need to Cars 2 and Brave) was Bug's Life. Not that it was horrible, just came off as really childish to me.
SilverKai
Noob
Noob
i think Disney is going to do an excellent job on episodes 7, 8 and 9 cause Tron legacy was a pretty good movie and Disney made it and number two George Lucas still has a ton of say in it so i think they are going to be great movies. :D
~สิงโต