Who is the face of PlayStation third-person shooting?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts

Who is KING of PlayStation third person shooting?

Snake
50%
Drake
50%

Total votes: 4
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Lets review - both have been in critically acclaimed third-person games exclusive to PlayStation (at least thus far), both have gotten perfect scores from IGN (and a few other critics) for their latest installment on consoles, and almost everybody sides with one or the other. Both titles are visually stunning, both defy the laws of biology and psychology being able to fire with perfect aim while retaining several bullets, and both are, shall we say, iconic.

Your choice?
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
**** that! Ratchet and Clank FTW! :P
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Nate DaZombie wrote:**** that! Ratchet and Clank FTW! :P
I might just agree. XD
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Metal Gear Solid isn't a shooter.

Uncharted is a third-person action platformer.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
Oh Drew, you're so cute with your technicalities.

But seriously though, Metroid is not an FPS. ERGH

Anyway, at the moment, it's definitely Drake. The Metal Gear franchise has not been as prominent in this generation of games.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Pheonix wrote:Oh Drew, you're so cute with your technicalities.

Anyway, at the moment, it's definitely Drake. The Metal Gear franchise has not been as prominent in this generation of games.
You're right. Drake's had Snake on the run since Naughty Dog made Among Thieves in 2009. I know they're making a new Metal Gear, but hopefully Revengeance isn't the only one - that's more Ninja Gaiden hack-n-slash than Metal Gear stealth.
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Haven't you seen the trailer for Ground Zeroes?
Drewsov
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:

You're right. Drake's had Snake on the run since Naughty Dog made Among Thieves in 2009. I know they're making a new Metal Gear, but hopefully Revengeance isn't the only one - that's more Ninja Gaiden hack-n-slash than Metal Gear stealth.
They're not even comparable.

Have either of you tried to play MGS as a shooter? It's impossible. Can't be done.

Uncharted has more platforming than shooting in many sections, though I'd call it more of a pure shooter than MGS ever was. Calling MGS a shooter is missing the point of the game. In fact, it sounds like it's coming from someone who hasn't even touched it...

Hmm...

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Drewsov wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote:

They're not even comparable.

Have either of you tried to play MGS as a shooter? It's impossible. Can't be done.

Uncharted has more platforming than shooting in many sections, though I'd call it more of a pure shooter than MGS ever was. Calling MGS a shooter is missing the point of the game. In fact, it sounds like it's coming from someone who hasn't even touched it...

Hmm...
I am well aware that Metal Gear Solid isn't a shooter. It technically quallifies as stealth (or as a movie, if you add up the length of all of the cutscenes), but if you really wanted to, you could plow through MGS4 with a substantially more Uncharted-ish flair for simply starting fights than you could in, say MGS2 or 3. Of course, all-out firefights were never Konami's claim to fame, and stealth is still where it's at. But if you know what you're doing, and you visit Drebin once in a while... you can pull off the occasional all-out firefight.

Let's not disregard that Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted have similarities. Strong ones. Both are well polished titles, both are among Sony's claim to fame, and both are hastilly regarded as "shooters", as what you're more liable to remember than a particularly interesting stealth takedown or scaling a chateau is accidentally starting firefights while doing either than those.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Pheonix wrote: But seriously though, Metroid is not an FPS. ERGH
Does that include the Metroid Prime series? Because normally I find FPSes mind-numbingly boring, but I really enjoy the Metroid Primes. If they aren't considered FPSes, it may explain why I like them....
LAVA89
Metroid is in first person view, and you shoot things. That's good enough for me....Unless we're either joking or possibly including other genre aspects thrown into the game (it does have some platforming in it and adventure game elements to it)
Sstavix
CCGR addict
LAVA89 wrote:Metroid is in first person view, and you shoot things. That's good enough for me....Unless we're either joking or possibly including other genre aspects thrown into the game (it does have some platforming in it and adventure game elements to it)
I'd say it depends on the Metroid game, though. The original three Metroids (Metroid, Metroid II Return of Samus and Super Metroid) were definitely not first person shooters. Still great games, though - especially Super Metroid.

But I'd agree about the Metroid Prime series. They seemed like first person shooters to me, with platforming elements and even a little bit of puzzle-solving, too.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
ScotchRobbins wrote:I am well aware that Metal Gear Solid isn't a shooter. It technically quallifies as stealth (or as a movie, if you add up the length of all of the cutscenes), but if you really wanted to, you could plow through MGS4 with a substantially more Uncharted-ish flair for simply starting fights than you could in, say MGS2 or 3. Of course, all-out firefights were never Konami's claim to fame, and stealth is still where it's at. But if you know what you're doing, and you visit Drebin once in a while... you can pull off the occasional all-out firefight.
...Drebin is in one Metal Gear Solid game. Citing that character's appearance as reason to call the game a "shooter" is pretty weak, especially given that the best games in the series (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3) actively punish you for attempting to do anything BUT stealth. That top down perspective isn't too kind to run-and-gun. ;)

Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't much different at all. I remember sprinting through areas because I didn't want to deal with the large number of enemies. I was ill-equipped, and I hadn't spent much time dealing with Drebin. And that's okay. That, to me, is how a stealth game should go.
Let's not disregard that Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted have similarities. Strong ones. Both are well polished titles, both are among Sony's claim to fame, and both are hastilly regarded as "shooters", as what you're more liable to remember than a particularly interesting stealth takedown or scaling a chateau is accidentally starting firefights while doing either than those.
Those are not similarities.

Let's just throw an example out there.

One of my friends is married to a younger woman. He got frustrated one day (or so he told me), and said, "We have no hobbies in common!"

She responded by saying, "Yes we do. We're both Christian."

...That doesn't make sense, does it? It's because she's from another country, so there's a different line of thought there.

What you listed also doesn't make sense. Forza 4 obviously has similarities with Zelda: Skyward Sword because they're both highly polished titles, they're both among their designer's reason for continuing to release games, and both are pretty easy to pin into their genre. ...What? That reasoning doesn't make sense.

Fact is, Metal Gear Solid is not a shooter. Granted, Uncharted has a ton of shooting in it. But so does SOCOM, so does Resistance, so does Killzone. In this day and age of limited console exclusivity, it's pretty ridiculous to ask for the "face" of shooters on a particular system.

ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Drewsov wrote:
ScotchRobbins wrote:I am well aware that Metal Gear Solid isn't a shooter. It technically quallifies as stealth (or as a movie, if you add up the length of all of the cutscenes), but if you really wanted to, you could plow through MGS4 with a substantially more Uncharted-ish flair for simply starting fights than you could in, say MGS2 or 3. Of course, all-out firefights were never Konami's claim to fame, and stealth is still where it's at. But if you know what you're doing, and you visit Drebin once in a while... you can pull off the occasional all-out firefight.
...Drebin is in one Metal Gear Solid game. Citing that character's appearance as reason to call the game a "shooter" is pretty weak, especially given that the best games in the series (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3) actively punish you for attempting to do anything BUT stealth. That top down perspective isn't too kind to run-and-gun. ;)

Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't much different at all. I remember sprinting through areas because I didn't want to deal with the large number of enemies. I was ill-equipped, and I hadn't spent much time dealing with Drebin. And that's okay. That, to me, is how a stealth game should go.
Those are not similarities.

Let's just throw an example out there.

One of my friends is married to a younger woman. He got frustrated one day (or so he told me), and said, "We have no hobbies in common!"

She responded by saying, "Yes we do. We're both Christian."

...That doesn't make sense, does it? It's because she's from another country, so there's a different line of thought there.

What you listed also doesn't make sense. Forza 4 obviously has similarities with Zelda: Skyward Sword because they're both highly polished titles, they're both among their designer's reason for continuing to release games, and both are pretty easy to pin into their genre. ...What? That reasoning doesn't make sense.

Fact is, Metal Gear Solid is not a shooter. Granted, Uncharted has a ton of shooting in it. But so does SOCOM, so does Resistance, so does Killzone. In this day and age of limited console exclusivity, it's pretty ridiculous to ask for the "face" of shooters on a particular system.
Then let's pick it up a bit. Who makes the better face for the system period, hmmm? If both developers simultaneously said "SUPRISE! We've actually been developing our biggest entry in the series yet!", and it turns out that people enjoyed them exactly the same amount (given that's highly unlikely), which would gather more hype faster?