tired of world using OMG

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
I guess it all really depends on whether you think saying "omg" is actually mocking God. Personally, I think it's pretty harmless. Usually it's all in the intention behind the words you say. A developer using the name OMGPOP is more than likely using it because it's a pop culture reference.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Pheonix wrote:I guess it all really depends on whether you think saying "omg" is actually mocking God. Personally, I think it's pretty harmless. Usually it's all in the intention behind the words you say. A developer using the name OMGPOP is more than likely using it because it's a pop culture reference.
Well, it's considered harmful because you are saying God's name like it's nothing, which goes against the third commandment.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Except...not really. How many of you actually mean to use God's name that way? I'm going to guess very few. I for one tend to say "Oh goodness..." or if I use OMG, it means "Oh my goodness. (Or occasionally gosh)". Do some people mean it in a blasphemous way? Probably. Does everyone? No.

If you want a different argument, try this one on for size: As an acronym, it's meaning is ambiguous by default. It could mean any number of things, and the odds are quite slim that it's meant as a slander against God. Additionally, god is a word that can refer to either the Christian God, one of the many (or one) Hindu gods, the Greek/Roman gods, and so on. Now let's take the dictionary's definition: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god.
Definition of GOD

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
: a person or thing of supreme value
: a powerful ruler
Notice how only half of a definition is our God. The others are characteristics, yes, but they are intentionally left ambiguous because god can mean other things. For example, If I said "May the gods of Olympus go with you!" in a sarcastic manner, is that on the same level as blasphemy?

Finally, let's just try the theological/biblical perspective. In Hebrew, God's name is rendered as YHWH (or יהוה‎) This is what is known as the Tetragrammaton (Literally meaning: A word with four letters). The closest transliteration that scholars have come up with is that this was meant to be said as "Yaweh". We actually don't know what the word was supposed to be pronounced as. That said, the Israelites rendered it in this form as a sign of respect. There were no vowels in it and it was capitalized to make it stand out from the rest of the text. (Interestingly enough, the Tetragrammaton is where we get words like Jehovah)

Now, we have the other commons names for God in the bible. El is a name ascribed to the gods of other religions in the old testament (Like Baal). The three derivations of this name that (If I recall correctly) appear most often in the Judaic texts are: El Shaddai (Literally "God Almighty"), Elohim (Usually translated as "The all-powerful one"), and Elyon (Usually translated as "God most high" or "God supreme").

So with this in mind, what name is the third commandment referring to when it says "Do not take the Lord your God's name in vain"? Here, I'm going to defer to one of my bible professors. He said that "Given the context and the Hebrew used, it would appear that it is saying that using the Tetragrammaton in vain would be what the commandment is referring to." He went on to say that misuse of the other names of God wouldn't be expressly prohibited, but it would be frowned upon.

So when someone uses the expression "Oh My God", is it on the same level as misusing the same name that Jewish tradition holds is the name God told the Israelites to keep sacred? I honestly don't think that's a fair comparison. I think that blasphemy is a legitimate concern, but I don't think most people who use OMG are violating the third commandment.

I may go have to ask the local expert on textual criticism at my school about this one too. (He helped translate the Dead Sea Scrolls)
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
Thank you Deep. You said that much more eloquently and scientific-like. ;)

TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
I think God is more of a title then a name.
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Deepfreeze32 wrote:If you want a different argument, try this one on for size: As an acronym, it's meaning is ambiguous by default. It could mean any number of things, and the odds are quite slim that it's meant as a slander against God. Additionally, god is a word that can refer to either the Christian God, one of the many (or one) Hindu gods, the Greek/Roman gods, and so on. Now let's take the dictionary's definition: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god.
YES. Because the typical American teen girl is totally meaning Vishnu when saying "OMG". :lol: I'd place money (and I am nawt a betting child) that the typical usage has no particular god attached to it, but is just a blank exclamation like 'ow'. But if I were to ask, I'd place even more money that they'd claim it's the only God in existence. This is especially true for Christians.

And while you may be logically correct, I don't believe you're actually right, if that makes sense. For one thing, there is only one God. One creator of mankind. It'd be different if the gods you mentioned actually existed. To that extent, saying 'Oh My God' can only be the actual God. And even if you go the technical route that 'God' is actually just a title, you're using it flippantly with no respect as to its Person. Try doing that to an earthly king sometime. "BY THE KING, YOUR FEET SMELL SO BAD" or the more popular 'Oh my king I can't believe that just happened'. Aside from making no sense, see where that gets you in some countries. :P

For another thing, God is what He is, and there is no other. I said that last paragraph, but I want to highlight it. Because I disagree with your prof, since I think he's going by the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it. To me, it is in effect the same as if I were to take the commandment of not giving false witness about your neighbor and taking it to mean that I should not lie in court, but that it's totally OK in everyday life.

Plus, in ye olde times, a 'name' meant more than the word used to call out to somebody, but their character. Who they is. By turning God into a casual exclamation, especially Christians, we're either taking an oath on His name (which is where this entire phrase started, I think) or declaiming something by it. Which is something we ain't 'sposed to do. It's scraping by on a technicality.

To that end, I also believe it is possible to misuse God's name in our actions, not just our tongues; If, for example, I claim to be a Christian and use church benefits but don't actually serve God, or use Christianity for personal gain and claim to be 'sent by God'. Stuff like that.

Fourthly (or...sixthly? Whatever; you get the fact I'm trying to appear intelligent), your own argument tends to work against you, since the writers of the bible saw fit to use a 'generic' form of the word 'God' a lot of times in their writing. Were they then, ambiguous, or specific in their meanings? Why then, should we take the same word (in effect, though not a 1:1 translation) translated into English as being entirely ambiguous and OK to use as a curse? You might can make the argument that this is OK from a secular standpoint, but Christians know better and have no excuse.

Jumbled, and I don't expect anything to come of it. So in the future I will be giving atomic wedgies to Christians who use the phrase 'Oh my God' as a curse or exclamation. That way, my purnt is entirely clear, and I will actually be doing something as opposed to blowing hot air.

WOT smiting you in the face aside, I don't screech at people for saying stuff like this. I believe them wrong, and if asked will say it. But I don't batter them about the face with a bible because of it, just get annoyed in my own head. :P As much as it appeals to my inner pharisee, very little comes by placing judgment upon random people on the street.
bgpablo
wow, huge can of worms, eh?

So we have a basic difference of viewpoints, and that's okay.

Let's not kid ourselves, saying God's name is saying God's name, just as saying Jesus Christ's is directly referring to Jesus Christ.

Concerning "non-believers", in troubled times, many pray to God for help, because of their innate knowledge of His existence (Paul's teaching in Romans) and they call Hom, God.

Could OMG refer to "goodness" or "gosh"? Interesting suggestion, and you could be right. But because many would read it as a reference to God, it has the appearance of evil. Pretty much the same as staying in a hotel room with a friend of the opposite sex, it should be avoided.

Lastly, it would pretty naive to expect a non-believer to stop saying Oh my G** or OMG because it offends God and bothers me. But when I don't say anything, it gives them impression that it does not matter to me. Think of how you react when you get cutoff on the road - you honk to let them know to be more careful. As long as our actions point to God, that He deserves our respect and fear.

Let's be salt & light.
If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it... well, we can be glad that we're all safe!
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
If we are going to focus on being salt and light, then I suggest we try to fix the way we communicate. Jesus talked more about how we should edify with our words than he ever talked about using God's name in vain. Honestly, trying to stop people from saying "Oh my God" is a waste of time, even more so when it comes to abbreviations. I think God would rather us focus on improving the way we talk with Christians and non-believers alike, because, in all seriousness, we suck at it. At least, I do.

I really don't want to pretend to know God's will, however, and that's why he's giving us freedom of choice. Maybe you really see the letters o, m, and g in succession as extremely offensive, but it's just not a big deal to me. There are bigger areas I need to work on, personally.

And in all reality, God was probably talking more people prophesying falsely in his name. Hence, the whole using his name "emptily" thing. Think about it. ;)

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
bgpablo wrote:Lastly, it would pretty naive to expect a non-believer to stop saying Oh my G** or OMG because it offends God and bothers me. But when I don't say anything, it gives them impression that it does not matter to me.
This I believe would work with friends who are not believers. :)
Though, if it's someone who does not know you, then it would most likely would be like Pheonix said.
Pheonix wrote:Honestly, trying to stop people from saying "Oh my God" is a waste of time, even more so when it comes to abbreviations.
I kinda still feel like the option of praying is being left out. :|
Why is that so?
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Pheonix wrote:I really don't want to pretend to know God's will, however, and that's why he's giving us freedom of choice. Maybe you really see the letters o, m, and g in succession as extremely offensive, but it's just not a big deal to me. There are bigger areas I need to work on, personally.

And in all reality, God was probably talking more people prophesying falsely in his name. Hence, the whole using his name "emptily" thing. Think about it. ;)
Ever-loving Priapus, the man has a point.

*ducks back out*
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
Ever-loving Priapus
I'm both horrified and incredibly pleased that you referenced Priapus in this thread.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Pheonix wrote:If we are going to focus on being salt and light, then I suggest we try to fix the way we communicate. Jesus talked more about how we should edify with our words than he ever talked about using God's name in vain. Honestly, trying to stop people from saying "Oh my God" is a waste of time, even more so when it comes to abbreviations. I think God would rather us focus on improving the way we talk with Christians and non-believers alike, because, in all seriousness, we suck at it. At least, I do.

I really don't want to pretend to know God's will, however, and that's why he's giving us freedom of choice. Maybe you really see the letters o, m, and g in succession as extremely offensive, but it's just not a big deal to me. There are bigger areas I need to work on, personally.

Firstly, saying 'it's wrong' and trying to change something is far different than running up to someone and yelling 'YOU SINNER QUIT BLASPHEMING'. :P So no, it's not a waste of time. When is fighting something wrong ever a waste of time? Should we ignore everything we consider small and only go after the big things? No one thinks that's right. You're missing the point here. It's over in that corner. Thirdly, Jesus never really talked on kidnapping, so I guess we should ignore that in favor of improving the way we talk?

Sarchasm only separates us...but I felt it valid there. :D And really, James dedicates nearly an entire chapter to controlling the tongue. Is the rest of the NT ignored because Jesus did not specifically say a lot on the subject? Furthermore, should Christians be excused for falling in line with culture instead of standing against it?

Fourthly, minimalization phail. Nowhere in this thread have I or BG claimed the letters OMG in sequence offend us, only people misusing or trampling God's name by saying 'Oh my God' or 'OMG'. I say 'zoomgoober' all the time without considering it evil. By your logic, acronyms offer no offense whatsoever since it's just a sequence of letters (ignoring the meaning they have). Which you know is wrong. If you don't, care to put that theory to the test with a bar full of angry truckers and the letters 'S' and 'B' and 'O' written in different sequence? :lol:

So no Phe. Well yes Phe; you made a lot of sound points and I too, need to work on my communication and communicating God's love. But I don't think that means ignoring a fight because it's hopeless, minimizing it in an apparent attempt at making it ridiculous, or saying it's not evil due to a technicality. Nor am I extending a hand of judgement in place of one of love, since you can (despite modern beliefs) call something wrong, sin, or evil while still being loving.

*hugs* No offense dude.
bgpablo
so here is what I just sent to OMGPOP via their feedback email.

"Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my feedback. I heard about your popular game, Draw Something, and thought I'd like to try it. When I noticed that your company's name is OMGPOP, I had to hesitate. I am a Christian and consider the acronym OMG highly offensive, because it misuses God's name (Oh My G**). I, humbly, just wanted to tell you that I cannot purchase your products associated with that name. Considering how popular you have become, I imagine asking you to change your name might seem ridiculous; you might, also, not share my religious convictions. Then again, if are reading this and do believe in God, or that there is a God, I'd like to encourage you to reconsider the revision. I know it would be a bold move, but honouring God is always the right thing to do!

If I am completely incorrect about the meaning of your name, would you mind letting me know what it actually stands for? It is clear your company employs very talented people and want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Again, thanks for your time,
Brian Gillespie"

>> I can't wait to see what they say (if they reply)
If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it... well, we can be glad that we're all safe!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
let us know!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Good man.