tired of world using OMG

For threads that strayed off topic or never made sense in the first place.
bgpablo
Are you human?: Yes!
Draw Something is one of the new mobile apps/games gaining huge popularity. I thought it looked cool until...
I saw the developer's name is OMGPOP. Seriously?! I am so tired of people abusing God's name with those first 3 letters.

I've also seen there is a new confection/candy called OMG's.

Please if you're reading this and love the God of Creation, do not support these companies. Or send them a letter telling them how their name is an offense to you.

BG
If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it... well, we can be glad that we're all safe!
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
To be fair, it's possible it stands for, "Oh My Gosh", though it's rather unlikely. I don't agree with it either, but I've never been one to meddle with businesses.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Yeah it annoys me that,
I can't tell if someone is saying "Oh My Gosh" or "Oh My Goodness" or if they are using God's name.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
You know what else bothers me? Genocide in third world countries. Really ruffles my feathers.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
bgpablo
ChickenSoup wrote:You know what else bothers me? Genocide in third world countries. Really ruffles my feathers.
ok, I'm taking the bait, soupy.

Yes, there are terrible things in the world, but that does not diminish the reality of taking God's name in vain. It's not cool. It's not trendy.
It would be remiss if someone didn't say something and more companies and products follow suit.
Plus, raising the idea of respecting God, gets us thinking about needing God, and God is the ONLY one who can help us stop this terrible genocide.

Personally, I think it's the responsibility of Christians to live out there faith in every way, including avoiding language that demeans His mighty name and avoiding other language that would smear the image of Christ.
That includes, LMFAO, FUBAR...and that's all I can think of.

ok, soupster, tell me that I'm living in a nice little Christian bubble where I have to have everything my way and am too arrogant and self-righteous to be a worthy example of Christ's love of those in need to the world.

...aw, man. Now I'm feeling down. blarg
If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it... well, we can be glad that we're all safe!
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
bgpablo wrote:Yes, there are terrible things in the world, but that does not diminish the reality of taking God's name in vain. It's not cool. It's not trendy.
It would be remiss if someone didn't say something and more companies and products follow suit.
Plus, raising the idea of respecting God, gets us thinking about needing God, and God is the ONLY one who can help us stop this terrible genocide.
Indeed, and could not have been said any better. :)

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I think it's important, yes... but why would those companies have a reason to change? Those involved don't know Christ, so they have no reason to respect the name of God. I think acting in a way that shows the love of God for the world is a better means of showing them to Christ than threatening to boycott them.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
More importantly, Christian's don't have a monopoly on the word god in the English language. Get over it.

(And I swear, if anyone tries to tell me English is a Christian language...)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I understand, but there's one thing that bothers me when non-Christians say OMG,
They are not talking about our God, since the they are not Christians and are using the word "my" in OMG.
But, this is the part that bothers me, they are talking about satan.
2Cr 4:4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
You can't really deny it, it's there,
they may not know they are talking about him,
but as it says up there.
He has blinded the minds of those who don't believe.

Well... any comments?

Orodrist
CCGR addict
In that case...why give a flying frack?

Let 'em all burn, because evil unknowing Satan worshippers or not, they're harmless and there's bigger problems in the world. Better to take care of our own.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Orodrist wrote:In that case...why give a flying frack?
Because Jesus died for them!

Sorry,
I don't mean to be rude, but saying "let 'em all burn" is not what Jesus wants to hear.
We all were lost once.

Orodrist
CCGR addict
And you know what riding people for say OMG is going to do? Nothing. At all.

Wait I take that back, you'll irritate them.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
ChickenSoup wrote:I think acting in a way that shows the love of God for the world is a better means of showing them to Christ than threatening to boycott them.
This makes no sense. Since you're claiming that actions speak louder than words, and our actions should match God's love. But you're also claiming that an action of refusing to give money to someone misusing God's name is somehow...wrong?

Maybe I'm wrong. But I still say you're nomming chowder. Because it works both ways; you think companies don't mind boycotting so much and that it really doesn't show our faith. But how much faith are we showing people when we clearly show them that we don't really care what bad morals/sins their company is doing/supporting? I mean...we're basically saying it doesn't matter. Is that biblical? Not caring about who or what we support with our money?

Don't play the judgment card either, because I'm not saying those people are inferior to me. :roll: And I'm not claiming we should screech at people when they use it.

The point here for me is that...I get bone-weary of threads like these with the guy who's like "IT DOESN'T MATTER SINCE WORSE THINGS HAPPEN IN THE WORLD". Tell that to a doctor. Sure, the bleeding vein is more important and needs to be fixed immediately. But it does not negate the slowly seeping belly wound and little bits of dirty shrapnel in the victim. You know, the types of wounds that lead to infection, and end up killing the patient later since they were neglected? Those have to be fixed and cleaned too.
Spoiler:
Whoo...didna see that coming when I started that paragraph. That worked out nicely.
Can't ignore either issue, and the murder thing is probably pretty serious...but you can't really do what you're doing either. "Genocide is far more terrible than theft, so we can ignore it and move on in love". Both are promblems, and I also think the tearing down and trodding on of God's name in our culture to be a pretty bad problem.

Basically, you gave me a wedgie with your post and I felt the need to call you on it. :lol:
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
wat.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
er.