John Bible study

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
As a note of interest, I learned afterwards that Ye Olde Jewish peoples believed that the soul hung around the body for three days after death, wishing to return to it's home.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
ohh interesting tidbit, thanks for sharing that!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Hard question. But I think it would be my cross necklace. My parents got it for me instead of a promise ring (since pretty much everyone at that point, including me, thought I would quickly lose a ring)m and I've worn it since I was 16. It communicated love, but also care for my soul and future.

1) Even though they believed the miracles happened, there response was to stop Jesus from taking away their authority because of them.

2) He may have been putting his own prophecy into motion.

Crazily enough, he predicted exactly what Jesus would do, even if he had other motives.

God's will, will be done. Even though men may try to do evil, sometimes through that evil, God is in control.

3) One, that a ladytype was hanging around with the men. That was downright odd in ye olde times. I've also heard that it was possible that the perfume was to be Mary's dowry, but I don't know for certain. Either way, it was a really expensive item that she used to clean Jesus' feet. She gave what was perhaps her most valuable item for Jesus. I also wonder if theft wasn't one of the first "things" which sent Judas down the wrong path.

4) That the perfume could have been sold, and given to the poor; that the perfume could have been sold, and the money given to Judas.

5) That this was the purpose of the perfume, and that while there would always be poor people they could help, Jesus would be with them only a little longer.

6) They treated him like a king.

7) It had been prophesied that the King of Israel would ride on a donkey.

I don't know. I don't feel like I have Him in the highest place of my life, or that I am serving Him as est I can. At least, I would hope this isn't my best.

Lazarus had taken a round trip to the afterlife.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Either of my engagement rings $1200 or more each. The first one meant he wanted to marry me, the second one meant that he still loves me. :)

1. They were worried that Jesus would take away their purpose and believers from them.

2. He would rather Jesus be killed than have the nation follow him, they wanted the followers. His statement was accurate to the T. God uses bad people for His will and purpose.

3. The fact that the perfume was worth so much money, she gave it away to Jesus, it was a valuable sacrifice

4. Granted the perfume could have been sold and put to good use towards the poor, but Judas wanted the money for himself.

5. The poor will always be around, Jesus did not have much time on earth left.

6. They reacted according to prophecy treating him as a triumphant king

7. It fulfilled prophecy and I believe kings came in on that entrance too

If Jesus came into my house I'd let him have or use whatever He wanted. Lazarus was living proof (pun intended)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Probably putting a stop to all evil in the world. Using, of course, action movie stunts and violence.

1) It wasn't just about the Jews, or Galilee anymore. Jesus was now a concern for the whole world.

2) Sometimes one person has to give up everything to help others.

3) If Jesus had not given up his life, his blood would not be available to cover the sins of humanity.

They would give up their lives to spread the message that Jesus had died and rose again, and through that people would come to belief.

4) To die for our sins.

5) Satan was booted out, occupancy dropped in his kingdom as we were pulled out, judgement was delivered on him, and he was beaten down and triumphed over on the cross.

6) The message had not been revealed to them, and a partial hardening of the hearts of Israel occurred.

7) Basically, "Yo dillweed...have you considered you're trying to command God what to do here?" Everyone has sinned, and deserves death...it's more amazing that God would choose to save some people than let us go on to the judgment we deserve. :\

I think loving your life means caring more for yourself than others, and loving money more than people. Hating your life I think means that you give others more care than yourself, and you're willing to give of your things, but also of your very self in order to follow God. Realizing that the physical of this world isn't as important as it's bluffed up to be.
I fail at that sometimes. Sometimes a lot. Sometimes I find myself being completely idiotic, in that I will avoid saying things that show Satan for what he is because I fear to come under his attack. Which is really dumb, considering he is defeated already. O_o It should take away all fear of him. I have been tempted to hide it, and I have hidden it before...I seem to get afraid that if put to the test, I won't know how to answer people and I'll look stupid. Fear in general. I've never denied I was a Christian, but I have shoved my lamp into a closet and taped the door shut.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pay off the nation's debt. ;)

1. Jesus' popularity and message was making him world renown

2. Some people have to lay down their life to save others

3. By Jesus dying He is saving many

4. Jesus's followers will have to endure hardships to get the message across

5. To die for our sins

6. prince of this world be cast out. delivered us from the power of darkness
Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. having spoiled
principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

7. This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet. "He has blinded their eyes and
deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts,
nor turn - and I would heal them

I love my life since it's all I know yet I have so much more in the afterlife to look forward..but I don't want to go there yet because of my family etc. Satan knows that he is going to lose in the end so he is taking as many down with him as possible. Hide my faith....I have certainly toned it down in some circumstances but there is still things I refuse to do no matter what. For example if my friends ever decide to go to a fortune teller or something I will not get my fortune told. (That hasn't happened just making that scenario up)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
What is this "chores" business? >_>

Actually, I'm not sure I particularly dislike any one of them more than another. Keeping my room clean is the most annoying, I 'spose. My Mum saves the bad stuff for herself, usually. She cleans the toilet room, at any rate. O_o

1) He became their servant, and then died for them.

2) If you truly want to be a leader of men, you have to be a servant.

3) Unless we ask Jesus to wash our sins away, we can't be saved and become part of him.

4) He thought Jesus was talking about literal bathing.

5) We're servants of the King, and certainly not better than Him. As such, we should be servants. Not special people chosen to stand above fallen men and command them in the way of righteousness. Because He, the real King and God, chose to stoop down and clean us.

6) Judas was a Disciple, and you didn't get much closer to Jesus than that. Jesus broke bread with the man, and then he betrayed Him.

7) Jesus is master; His life was not taken from Him, but He gave it away. He was the one still in control.

8) Because Jesus, God's only Son, was fully obedient to Him. To the point, and completion, of his own death.

9) How much they loved one another.

It's like it in that He saved both of us, and that we're both his Servants (John was a better one though. :D ) but unlike it in that...I'm not that close to Him. Roman dining was suffocatingly close. You were, or were very close to, touching the person behind in the chest with your back and shoulders. I need to treat other Christians better. I'm going to try to be more loving to people, instead of getting annoyed. And I'm going to try to be a better servant to others. I dunno if I'll be able to...But I'ma give it a shot.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cleaning the house before I can clean it..there's a bunch of toys I have to clean up before I can START dusting or vacuuming. Yes, I do have the kids help clean up their messes. I clean the bathrooms and dust and vacuum. Jay mos the lawn and sweeps the floors.

1. Jesus was willing to die for them

2. A true leader sacrifices, even sacrificing their pride/ego, or life

3. Only Jesus can cleanse our sins

4. Peter thought Jesus was referring to a regular bath

5. Jesus set an example that we should be humbles servants

6. Judas took the bread and betrayed Him

7. Jesus told Judas to finish the job and betray Him, Jesus could have stopped it at any point but still allowed this to happen

8. Jesus was obedient, he asked for the cup to pass over Him but accepted that this was the only way and fulfilled God's command

9. love one another

Even though I love Jesus, I still disappoint Him but He still loves me regardless. I'm all for spreading the Word and baptizing believers. I'm just not brave enough to do it by myself :( I'll try to be more patient and loving. My kids get on my nerves sometimes :(
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I went camping with my grandparents once, and my parents stayed home. I remember I missed them a lourd when I left, but was far happier to see them when I got home. God, but also videro games and music. My friends and family too.

1) To trust Him, because though He was leaving now, He was also coming back for them later.

2) He is the only way for us to lose our sins, and for God to forgive us. He said "the way" not "a way".

3) Jesus is the truth in that he is the only real way to get to God and eternal life. He is the life, because all life is from Him, He is the author of life.

4) Believing in Jesus.

5) Jesus is the 'exact representation of His being'. Cool tapes.

6) That they were one and the same; Jesus is God.

7) To ask something in accordance to God's will; it will be done.

8) If we obey Him, and our hearts do not condemn us (nothing weighing on our consciences?), and if we remain in Him and bear fruit that lasts.

9) If we love Him, we will obey Him.

10) To believe in Him, to love Him, and to obey Him.

11) The Holy spirit, and to any who believe in Jesus.

12) He comforts us, teaches us, and allows us to produce fruit. And helps us remember what Jesus has said.

The peace of the world can be shattered, or rationalized away or around. The peace God gives isn't something we understand, or something that we can conjure up in our own heads. I'm experiencing more than I deserve, or even asked for. I'm pretty thrilled, as I know I couldn't do this (you know, life) on my own. Or remember scripture when it's important. I think the thing I found most encouraging was verse 18; Jesus is coming back. He's not going to leave us alone and fatherless. I think I found most challenging is the fact that the world doesn't recognize or accept the Holy spirit; He get's passed off as a hundred different things.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Probably got separated from my mom or parents at a store and was scared as a kid. Was happy to see them again. Lost Kaitlyn at six flags water park, scared the daylights outta me, Kaitlyn didn't miss me and was busy playing with water and ignored my calls. When I'm stressed out I like to sleep.

1. He says that He will prepare a place for us

2. Jesus is the only way to His father

3. Jesus speaks the truth and is the key to everlasting life

4. by knowing Jesus

5. If you have seen Chirst, you have seen God

6. Their will is the same, they are unified

7. Jesus's name has power

8. if you pray that Gods will be done, it will be done!

9. obey His commands

10. love God, love our neighbors

11. the believers will get the gifts of the Holy Spirit

12. The Holy Spirit will teach us and remind of what Jesus said

Does the world even know Peace? The world is full of evil and is constantly at war. It's great to know that I am not alone ;) On the other hand kind of weird that nothing I do is in total privacy either.

favorite verse:
2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you
most challenging
Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ’Show us the Father?’ 10Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?
hard for this mortal mind to envision them the same..same purpose and goals but totally separate to me
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Mom has the green thumb. Sadly, as much as I love plants, all mine seem to die rather quickly. Except for several aquatic plants. Which, now that I think about it, maybe means I just don't water normal plants enough. O_o Little bit of both. I enjoy working outside, but after my back stars hurting I get grumpy and would rather be elsewhere.

1) There are many vines, but only one life-giving good one.

2) The branch which does not bear fruit, and it gets cut off and burned. It represents the people who refuse God, and they get cut off from Him, and burned.

The other branch bears fruit, and is pruned so as to make it more fruitful. This represents Christians, who suffer hardships, punishments, and etcetera in order to refine us.

3) To obey him.

4) I don't think so. Jesus holds onto us, not the other way around. We may let go, wander around in the darkness, or just plain ignore him. But He still will not let us go. Even if we don't experience the fullness of his love and blessings, I don't think we can ever really leave his presence. And that ain't a complaint by half.

5) We are blessed, and bear fruit. They reveal whether or not we're actually his disciples.

6) A changed heart, and a changed life, and a mouth that speaks of him.

7) No one comes to God of his own mind, but only if God calls him.

8) They all be's hatin' because they don't know God, or Jesus.

I'm not certain, really. Finishing high school, perhaps; it was a huge punch to the spleen to realize that life had to be more than video games, school, and tasty snacks, and I didn't really know what the black void of the future held. I feel fairly close to Him. He's helped me and blessed me so much recently. Perhaps not the best motivation, but I know that I can count on Him no matter how bad things get. He'll always be there with me. I would think that loving others with all of our hearts, and giving when it hurts. I don't do those things...And perhaps worshiping Him and glorifying Him.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I guess I have a green thumb and my mom has a brown one. She even managed to kill plants in an aerogarden! I don't really work in the garden I just water the plants and let God do the rest. I find it peaceful and am amazed at his creations.

1. Jesus is the only way, any other method ill lead to destruction

2. Good branches (Christians) are pruned to grow and remain with Christ. Bad branches (nonbelievers)Its possible for some belie are cut off and thrown into the fire.

3. Be a part of Him and do His will

4. Its possible that some believers don't produce much fruit or turn their backs on God. God knows our hearts and intentions and will not be mocked. He also won't turn His back on us even if we turn ours on Him.

5. If we remain in Christ we will bear fruit and do good works according to His will

6. Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

7. Even though we choose to follow God, God chose us first

8. The world will hat disciples as they hate Jesus.

There's many of times where I have been challenged in my faith or shown areas where I can improve my walk with Christ. I consider myself on autopilot right now, not growing by leaps and bounds but not backsliding either. I think we get out of it what we put into it. If I focus on Christ more I will grow more spiritually.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have an odd relationship with my Dad. Always have. I love him, and I know he loves me, but we argue all the time. :\ I'm not sure how it's affected my relationship with God...hadn't really thought about it.

1) So the Holy Spirit would come to them.

2) We have been set free by Him; we can put to death the deeds of the body; He prays for us; He fills us with joy and hope; we are taught by Him; we are gifted by Him, and unified; we grow fruit by Him; we are empowered by Him.

3) He convicts of sin, tells of Jesus, and that the prince of this world is condemned.

4) His death, resurrection, and ascension.

5) A parent child relationship? The basis of this relationship is our faith in Jesus sacrifice.

6) Our source of peace is from the Holy spirit. Temporal peace can come from numerous sources, but the point being...it's temporal. It never lasts, and deserts in a moment of crisis.

7) Jesus gave his life up, and by doing so overcame all sin, saved unknown multitudes, and soundly trounced the devil.

Without the spirit, people couldn't grow in their salvation, but I also think they wouldn't be saved. It's God's voice and nudging which makes us come to Him in the first place. Our job, I think, is to tell of Jesus, but perhaps mainly by the way we live. Sometimes, I'm all rush through my prayers. Then it kinda hits me who I'm talking to, and I feel incredibly dumb. I also know that God loves me like a child, and I can come to him with any problem. I've experienced His peace, but also his encouragement, and reminding me of God's word.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I always love and respected my dad growing up. Feared him when I was in trouble. He has a great sense of humor and like to rough house a little too much for my tastes. ;) When my mom left us I became closer to my dad and grew up rather fast.

I was raised Catholic so they instilled good morals and teachings from a young age, I'm forever grateful even if I no longer follow the Catholic faith.

1. Jesus was going to be crucified

2. The spirit brings us peace, joy and freedom from sin and everlasting life with Christ

3. The spirit will bring conviction

4. Jesus is talking about His death

5. Though Jesus we can go to God.

6. Jesus has overcome death and the world..what more proof do we need?!

7. Nothing can stop him, He created it, He controls it

The spirit convicts us and softens our hearts making us more receptive to accepting God's truth. We should share the truth with everyone, who knows..someone may be ready to accept it! I'm honored that God listens to our prayers and I try to thank Him for the big and little things. Peace, everything is in Gods hands and seems to be working out just fine. :D
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
It depends on the day, I guess. Most days I'm too afraid or ashamed to get into the spotlight. On others, I enjoy working under the pressure.

I would think it had to do more with your attitude than where you stood.

1) He sough glory from God, so that God may be glorified.

2) The ones that God has given Him.

3) Being with God, in peace love, and happiness forever.

4) The disciples, and also Christians in the future (which is now, the now :D). He's not praying for 'the world'. Everyone who doesn't accept him.

5) Protection from evil; Sanctification; unity; that they would join him again.

6) Protection from the evil one; no one, nothing, can snatch us from Jesus hand. BOOYAH.

7) We kind of have to exist here, until God calls us home. But we shouldn't become a member of this world, conform to it and it's precepts. Christians gotta be different from everyone else, or I think we might be doing something wrong.

8) To keep us separated from the world by truth.

9) I think it would be unity of purpose and love in Christians. Working together to help others and try to spread the message around.

I don't go to an official church building but if I take it as "the church" in collective...I see problems in it. Not a few caused by myself. I don't know where the line is between uniting with someone in brotherhood (or sisterhood) for a common goal, and tolerating dangerous philosophies in order to avoid conflict. And that always trips me up on the unity front...Maybe there isn't one, or maybe it's not up to me to decide...I could definitely be more loving either way. It makes me question whether or not I truly live differently. It makes me wonder what I could do differently. That prayers aren't simply airy words God hears, listens to, and moves on. Jesus prayed 2000 years ago for us today.