I have a confession

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Plazmawolf
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
I have not finished reading the bible :oops:
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Don't confess, get to reading. :D It's like food...you may not always be hungry, but you need to eat to keep alive.

I didn't read it through until I was 18 though.
Plazmawolf
Noob
Noob
I read pieces of it but I need to read it from beginning to end
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
there are some great programs out there..want to read it in 90 days? Try this check sheet

http://www.havenministries.com/schedule.pdf
Plazmawolf
Noob
Noob
what is the most unabridged, closest to the original bible version?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
You're looking for a "formal equivalence" translation. You can go here to see a list of bible translations and choose from them...I use a Holman. I'd think that KJV or NASB would be easiest to get a hold of, but you'd pretty much need an old English dictionary to make sense of the KJV.

Either way...I'd grab an apologetics study bible, if you have the chance. It'll have answers to your questions. Even the hard ones. But any real bible will do.
Plazmawolf
Noob
Noob
Chozon1 wrote:You're looking for a "formal equivalence" translation. You can go here to see a list of bible translations and choose from them...I use a Holman. I'd think that KJV or NASB would be easiest to get a hold of, but you'd pretty much need an old English dictionary to make sense of the KJV.

Either way...I'd grab an apologetics study bible, if you have the chance. It'll have answers to your questions. Even the hard ones. But any real bible will do.
I am really good with old English
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm reading a Holman too, I've read the KJV several times though
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
KJV is, perhaps, more poetic and flows well. There are better translations even then though. KJV was written, if I remember correctly, from the Latin bibles that the church possessed. Didn't go off the OG manuscripts. It doesn't really have a problem with inaccuracy, but that fact bothers some people.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Well, first of all, the KJV isn't Old or even Middle English :P
Chozon1 wrote:KJV is, perhaps, more poetic and flows well. There are better translations even then though. KJV was written, if I remember correctly, from the Latin bibles that the church possessed. Didn't go off the OG manuscripts. It doesn't really have a problem with inaccuracy, but that fact bothers some people.
Due to some people going all "ONLY THE KJV, HOMES" on me for a while, I do believe there's a big thing among many Christians about the KJV being the most formally equivalent. There's this whole thing about Byzantine vs. Alexandrian (I think?) texts used to translate and the KJV using better manuscripts and blah blah blah basically if you don't use the KJV you're a horrible Christian.

Anyway, my point being if you want something really true to the original stuff, apparently the KJV is a good start if you don't mind the Shakespearean talk.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, I didn't say/mean Olde Englishe, just...old English. Elizabethan spekkin' or something.

My Dad reads KJV...Though I've never understood the whole "anything but KJV ain't true" thing, I have come across it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I prefer people to read any version of the Bible than none at all
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
+4
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Yeah, CCGR's right. They're all pretty close (except for the "Message"). Find a translation that you connect with best (NKJV is really good) and stick with it. The worst thing you'd want to do is get bogged down with a translation that uses a verbiage that disorients you and gets you demotivated.
How much better would it be to read through the bible where you can understand it on the first go, rather than get confused and eventually glaze over because you're tired?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
ChickenSoup wrote:
Due to some people going all "ONLY THE KJV, HOMES" on me for a while, I do believe there's a big thing among many Christians about the KJV being the most formally equivalent. There's this whole thing about Byzantine vs. Alexandrian (I think?) texts used to translate and the KJV using better manuscripts and blah blah blah basically if you don't use the KJV you're a horrible Christian.
Wow really? :shock:
The best translation is ether Hebrew, or Arabic, but I can't read those. Hahaha!

Most people here use New King James version.

I my self though go with New Living Translation.

They all have the same message.

If your focusing/studying on one verse use many translations.
Each verse has so many meanings, just a lot of them are hidden, Reading many translations help reveal them.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.