Guild Wars 2

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Any one else getting excited about Guild Wars 2? it's been promised for a while now and we are finally getting closer to the release/beta!

I'm still trying to decided what class to go with in the new game, think i might have to play a few of them to decided. I didn't pre-order it yet, because if you wait tell close to release date they usually give you some bonus with your pre-order :)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it was a fun game and my hubby and I used to play it but the pentagrams in it turned us off to it. ;\
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Unfortunately that's popular among RPG and most fantasy games. I haven't really noticed them, but I'm not really looking or paying attention to all that. I'm mostly just playing the game for fun with my friends, I didn't fined the story line to be great.

You ever play Never Winternights? I wish that engine worked on a more full scale level for multilayer. I love how the game works and I still prefer it over many modern day MMORPG.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
yeah I played a NWN game a long time ago, fun but HARD
glamdring
Noob
Noob
I never played NWN 2, I like to play online so I often don't finish the single player. That's why I like Guild Wars it's a mix between MMORPG and standard RPG and it's pay one not monthly.
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:it was a fun game and my hubby and I used to play it but the pentagrams in it turned us off to it. ;\
Yeah, the pentagrams (and all of the immodest female characters running around) is really unfortunate. Though it's really only the Necromancer skills that show it (aside from a couple of areas that have them etched on the ground). Fortunately there's been no sign of pentagrams in Guild Wars 2.

I'm really interested to see how all of the changes that they're making will pan out. If it works it could have some huge ramifications on the MMORPG market, which really does need a bit of a shaking up.
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Yeah the MMORPG market is over the top with some of the voodoo stuff. Biggest thing is the MMORPG market seems to be stale, I haven't seen any breakthrough since free walking, jumping, and swimming. I'm getting tired of the same old classes and similar storyline. One of the biggest reasons I liked Guild Wars is that it was different from most MMORPG games with party only quest/mission and almost no grinding. I do hope in Guild Wars 2 they add areas around the city that you can fight etc that are MMO, but keep party only quest/missions. I assume they would never make the whole world MMO because you don't P2P they couldn't afford all the constant servers.

If I manage to get my hands on the beta I will be pulling several all nighters!
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
Actually, the whole world will be persistent (i.e. everyone one a server will be able to interact with everyone else, just like other MMOs). And yes, there's still no monthly fee. :D They also are doing something different with the missions/quests. You will have your own "personal story" that will be unique to your character and will develop differently depending on choices you make. These will be more like a single-player RPG so you can focus on your own story without worrying about whether or not others have seen this cut scene, or need that bonus, est. As for group quests, well, they've done away with grouping and traditional quests. Instead they have what they call "dynamic events." If you want to read more about these you can read this post on the official blog.
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Yeah I just found that on the site, last time I check the site was like a year ago so there wasn't as much information. I'm mixed about that, I'm glad to see more MMO and disappointed to see less exclusive worlds for your party. But the pros are much better then the tiny cons I have about it so far. I'm really excited about this game, because the Guild Wars games are good and no monthly fees. I was never ale to bring my self to pay $15/m for some online game, I can understand $5/m for servers etc.
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
With the amount of changes that they're making, it's a sure bet that not everyone is going to like 100% of what they do. But all accounts from people that have actually played it (both fans and no-fans of the original) have been very positive. The main thing to see how well the dynamic events work once the game goes live.
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Yeah it will have it's bumps, but I believe most people will be happy with the end product. Either way can't beat a game of Guild Wars guilty with no monthly fees! As soon as I get my hands on this game I will be sure to post my info, thinking about pre-ordering it soon. They keep pushing back the release date and most people are able to get their money refunded if it doesn't get released by the date the online store stated. So if it doesn't release on time I will be really bummed, but I will get a free copy. :)
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
glamdring wrote:... thinking about pre-ordering it soon. They keep pushing back the release date and most people are able to get their money refunded if it doesn't get released by the date the online store stated. So if it doesn't release on time I will be really bummed, but I will get a free copy. :)
In that case you may never have to pay for a Blizzard or Valve game again. :lol:
glamdring
Noob
Noob
HAHAHA yeah well I never buy Blizzard games, but I do buy lots of Valve games. Unfortunately after Valve signed with EA they no longer sell pre-orders online or very many hard copies for that matter. Digital content is the future I love just downloading my games, I just wish it wasn't all dependent on Steam. I hate when Steam goes down for something stupid or it's acting up so you can no longer play your game.

I never played HL2 but I only heard bad things, so I don't know if I want to play it and ruin the first one.
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
glamdring wrote:I never played HL2 but I only heard bad things, so I don't know if I want to play it and ruin the first one.
Bad things from whom? What kind of bad things? I've played through it at least three times and love it. It really is very similar to HL1, in a good way.

Anyway, getting back to GW2; I'm really very interested to see what they do with the Mesmer. They've all but officially been confirmed. But GW2 doesn't have any hexes (negative magical effects), which the Mesmer relied so heavily upon. I can see them using "Mantras" as their unique mechanic and summoning Illusions (such as Illusionary weapons and allies).
glamdring
Noob
Noob
Yeah I think it's going to use a lot of summing etc. Which could be nice, because if they do that I assume they will make many more options for strong summons. I found the Mesmer in GW to be better in party then solo and some additional summoning features would be great for solo. I'm not sure if that will really matter as much with a MMO world, I assume it would be easier to fined people to help you. I'm assuming they are going to allow people to still have more then 1 person attacking an environment item at once (Unofficial party). I'm going to check out that site some more they did add a lot of information, hopping they have some exciting game play for us at the next E3!