Whatcha reading???

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Putting lappy away, forcing myself to be more intentional with computer time (sitting in front of a TV, using a fairly dated Dell has that effect) has helped me with reading focus. ...a lot.

Yesterday, I finally finished Agents of Artifice, another fun Magic romp. This one primarily focused on Jace Beleren. Good times.

Today, I read through all of Dante's Inferno. Definitel weird. Definitely trippy. Definitely gripping and interesting. Admittedly, the translation I read was kinda difficult; it retained poetic formatting but otherwise read like a novel, so keeping track of who was speaking was not always easy.

The Italian verse on the opposing page looked and sounded much prettier... I just didn't have a clue what I meant.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Still plugging away at A Game of Thrones. Such a good book. O_o

I also picked up a geeky book for really cheap: Focus On 3D Terrain Programming by Trent Polack for $4. Normally retails for $27ish, so I was pleased. It's not the best programming book ever, and the writer is just downright bad at times, but the theory was well worth the $4. :P
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
"Fusion Fire"<--Kathy Tyers.

Sequel in a three part series. I've talked enough about Firebird...the sequel is just as good.

Supposedly, they're reprinting the entire series in LOTR fashion, with added commentaries, and such, this year...soooooo going to buy it...and again supposedly, she's writing sequels.

So happy, if it comes to pass. It's up on her website announcement page. Then again, there is always the possibility of sequelitiss smiting down an otherwise awesome series...but it did not in the short story she wrote in the same world, nor in the other fiction book she wrote.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
The Purifying Fire

It's another Planeswalker novel. I feel bad for people who give Magic: The Gathering novels a shot starting on this book. It's hecka subpar and full of really bad editing errors. The protagonist is annoying. It's just all around a middling book... inferior to Agents of Artifice and absolutely pales in comparison to Alara Unbroken.

Granted, I'm only halfway through. It could turn around some things. But... yeah. Pass on this one, but don't let it ruin Magic altogether for you. The two I mentioned are much better.

Once I finish this, likely today, I'll be starting Sanderson's Mistborn. Had a ton of rave reviews on Amazon and came up often in related items, soooo... gonna give it a shot.
tyuru
Noob
Noob
I've recently started re-reading all those books I had to do for school over the years (1984, Great Gatsby, Red Badge of Courage, etc.). I hated them the first time around, but now that i'm not being forced to read them for a class, they were actually kind of enjoyable. Interesting to see how my perspective changed.

I recently finished reading the Wheel of Time series (again). Absolutely fantastic books, i'd definitely reccomend them if you can get your hands on them. The series is a bit long, clocking in at 12? books with about 1000 pages each, but its well worth it. Well written with an interesting and unique plot with a good cast of characters.
Sabercrazy
Gamer
Gamer
Wheel of Time: Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordon, the tenth book in his fifteen book series... >_>
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"An optimist is a man whom knows God will provide." - Me
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Half way through it so far, pretty good.

Halo: The Flood

The second part of a 3 part series. Great book so far, just reached the Flood. :P
SpartanOmega
Gamer
Gamer
Location: since you see this post.... I'm probably at my computer.
airpa wrote:Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

It's alright... Frankenstein is a much better book.
"Always tell of God's love. If necessary, use words"- St. Francis

Kudos: 35
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
SpartanOmega wrote:
airpa wrote:Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

It's alright... Frankenstein is a much better book.
Yeah it's for my book club. We're planning on doing Frankenstein next actually. XD
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Do Le Fanu's Carmilla or Stoker's Jewel of Seven Stars instead AP. You'll thank me later.

Anyway.

Started and finished Walpole's Castle of Otranto and Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday. Also finished Inferno.

Started The Water Margin. It's...very Chinese. And there's a trillion or so characters who all have weird names I have to keep straight.

Also started Kafka's The Castle. It's...weird? Not so much in a bad way. Closest thing I can link it to is Lovecraft.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
For some reason, I dislike posting after Oro in the book section. >_>

I just finished Chuck Black's Kingdom series...which is awesome. The writing is stiff in the first book or two, but after that, it get's so much better. I loved the entire series...it's Pilgrims Progress, redux and...different.

Probably about to start either A Star curiously Singing or some Rene Gutteridge book.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just finished A Star curiously Singing.

Which was waaaaaay better than I thought it would be.

Sharia law ruled planet, with a race of slave humans called "debuggers" who have implants in their head that allow them to talk to, control, and fix (AKA: Debug) machines and everything else that's connected to a Stream.

Good book.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and starting The Girl Who Played With Fire.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Just finished The Short Life of Bree Tanner, short but good!