Tomb Raider "reimagined"

For all those action games like Mario, Mega Man, Zelda, God of War, and stuff.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
(that's working title, don't know for sure what the full title will in fact be)

So... the new TR that's in the works looks to be amazing. Like, it's already a pre-order for me.

Crystal Dynamics is basically performing a complete overhaul of the franchise. Gone is the invincible, overly sexualized Lara Croft that is in the Tomb Raider we're used to (in the new game she wears clothes that... one would actually wear if in a fight. no more tight shorts and a low cut shirt). The new Lara Croft is a younger, much more "real" character from everything I've read. There will be tears, lots of blood and sweat, cries of pain, etc. in the new story. Basically the franchise is going to be far less sexual/invincible-heroin-like and far, far more realistic and emotional.

I... can't... wait.

"Kissaki Kai is not like fighting an opponent, it is an execution."
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Not gonna disagree it; it looks pretty awesome to me, too.

Though, the last three Tomb Raider games really lost me. I loved Legend, but Anniversary was glitchy and Underworld was pretty much broken.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Nix wrote:heroin-like
I lol'd

But yeah. I'm sure none of you thought you'd ever hear me say this about a Tomb Raider game, but I'm buying this.

Because, according to the ever reliable wiki: "The game begins with Croft devoid of any weapons, tools or essentials such as food and water, which the player must search for in order to survive."

Makes it sound at least partially like a survival sim. So, yeah. Count me in.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Yeah, the survival aspect is a major part of the game. I read the GI article on it, and I too will be getting this. Just maybe not day 1. :P
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, it does look to be a survival game of sorts.

Another thing I find interesting is that Crystal Dynamics is "fully embracing" the M-rating for this game. It's gonna be extremely violent/bloody/gory, according to what I've read. Personally, I like that. Doing away with the "tame/safe" combat of the previous TR games is a plus for me, and should make it more realistic.

My hype is great.

Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I've never cared for Tomb Raider, but I have to say: the GI article I read on the upcoming game made it look pretty awesome.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
I never liked the characters in the previous TRs all that much. As the GI article pointed out, Lara was pretty much just an invincible chick with... guns. Nothing more when you get right down to it, sadly. The stories were decent, but not great imo. The reason I played the previous games was because of the platforming, which is one of my favorite things in gaming ever.

The new one looks to change all that 100%. Characters drive games for me more than anything else, and if they actually make a deep and totally freaking awesome main character that one can grow to love? I'm there.

I'm hoping for another Sands of Time-like game in terms of characters/story. :mrgreen:

Drewsov
CCGR addict
I was always flat out disappointed that TR: Legend ended on this cliffhanger.... and it never followed it up.

And then I hear that Legend, Anniversary and Underworld are considered a "trilogy."

Yeah, okay.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Strayinghyena
Noob
Noob
Location: In the middle of climbing a building. So call back later.
Nix wrote:Yeah, it does look to be a survival game of sorts.

Another thing I find interesting is that Crystal Dynamics is "fully embracing" the M-rating for this game. It's gonna be extremely violent/bloody/gory, according to what I've read. Personally, I like that. Doing away with the "tame/safe" combat of the previous TR games is a plus for me, and should make it more realistic.

My hype is great.
Strong to overcome!
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
Makes it sound at least partially like a survival sim. So, yeah. Count me in.
Pretty much my reason for wanting it, as well. After Return to Mysterious Island, I have a serious fondness for games oriented around surviving on a lonely island. Though that was point and click, whereas this is... well, Tomb Raider. XD

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm actually quite excited for this. O_o
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
Pretty stoked for this too.

I don't even play Tomb Raider games. Haha
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
After seeing the new trailer, I'm pretty sure I'm getting this, even if it means moving into a motel for a couple days.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
The gameplay at E3 was interesting, but it seemed linear. I'm hoping what they showed was simply the action scene after the opening cutscene.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Yeah, I've gotta agree that it looked a bit linear. iirc at the end of it it said they'd be showing more of the open world.

Tritherian
Noob
Noob
Orodrist wrote:Yeah, I've gotta agree that it looked a bit linear. iirc at the end of it it said they'd be showing more of the open world.
From what I understand there will be "hubs" that will be more open for exploration, while the main story parts between hubs will be more linear.

I enjoyed Legend, and the Guardian of Light demo was surprisingly good, but I'm also not that big of a TR fan. But this game really does look like it's going in the right direction. While the whole "origins story" things is a little over done at this point, it really does make sense for this game, in terms of story and character. There's really not much you can do with the Lara Croft character as she is. But taking her back to a time when she's just a young woman looking for adventure and getting more than she bargained for and you have the potential for a lot more emotional connection with the character than you could ever have with smart talking, "action barbie" Lara.

And the whole idea of having it be more of a survival game is also an excellent idea. She doesn't have her dual pistols to keep her safe, which ties into the feeling of vulnerability that the you should feel. We'll just have to see if the execution lives up to the potential.