Whatcha reading???

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.
Last edited by Deepfreeze32 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountKrazy
VIP Member
VIP Member
Saker wrote:James Joyce? Noooooo! Don't do it, CK! I'm taking Irish Lit this semester, so I speak as one who knows.

Yeats, however... the more I read, the better I like. That's who I'm reading right now.

Favs: "Lake of Innisfree", "the Second Coming", "Sailing to Byzantium", "The Folly of Being Comforted"
haha XD

Yeah... I've seen samples of James Joyce's writings. They... look like an effort. O_o But... I still really wanna try some out. Finnigan's Wake... is probably too much for me to handle at this point, though.

Also... Irish Literature? Seriously? That's awesome. :D Or... not? XD

Yeats sounds amazing. I've wanted to see what his stuff is like, too. Thanks for the recommendations. :D
Saker
Gamer
Gamer
Yes, Irish Lit is awesome. Yeats is also awesome. His early stuff is kind of dreamy (Lake of Innisfree) and later gets kind of nihilistic (the Second Coming). But it's all gorgeous.

And if you can suffer through Joyce, more power to you! :D Try him in bite sized pieces first, maybe- the Dubliners is a collection of short stories.
"Wouldn't you light yourself on fire if there were ghosts in the room? I would." -Drew

"I can be quotable too!" -Kenny
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
I just got Stephen King's Firestarter.

Oh and CK... if you haven't read any King yet, do yourself a favor and check out some of his stuff. Once you get used to his style of writing (it took me a whole paragraph before I was hooked XD)... well, he's addicting. Like, totally. :shock:

"Kissaki Kai is not like fighting an opponent, it is an execution."
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Today I read the T'ai kung "Six Secret Teachings", Sun Tzu's "Art of War", and Karl von Clausewitz's "On War". In about three hours.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Drewsov
CCGR addict
I call shenanigans on that.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
What? I did read them. The first two are just short and I read fast.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
jester747
Forum Moderator
I'm not actually reading them now, but I just read Ted Dekker novels. Man is he good.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
TripExistence
donkey
jester747 wrote:I'm not actually reading them now, but I just read Ted Dekker novels. Man is he good.
Eh. He can be good, but oftentimes is not. Blink, Thr3e, House, and Blessed Child are the only novels of his that delivered for me. Showdown was just gross, and I got too bored with Saint to finish it. The highly lauded Circle Trilogy, frankly, I hated. An interesting concept that turned into a weird contest.

I just finished When Heaven Weeps (by Dekker). I found it rather pathetic, actually. Which makes me regret borrowing the sequel because now I feel obliged to read it.

CK: Read The Two Towers and Return of the King. nao.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Call it a curious foray into psychology. One that I'm afraid of finishing.

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Charley_Wilson
Noob
Noob
Showdown I thought was one of his best. It was very Steven Kingish, especially with the whole gunslinger/man in black thing...

Um, just read Robin Hood. The old version too. I really like that book.
A liar and a thief, a murderer and a cheat. Redeemed by grace at Calvary's base, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint.
DarthDapor
VIP Member
VIP Member
well let's see....reading a lot of crap right now for a class at the college....

Moving Mars & Queen of Angels by Greg Bear

both were lengthy, and rather boring. However I'd consider them candy compared to these next rough little pieces of seaweed.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

that was just a retarded, pessimistic, insulting mockery of religion and politics in it's purest form. I hated it, and it just seems like the author had very little tolerance for life. In short, this book sucks.

We by some Russian guy who I can't remember and don't want to look up.

Well this goes back to a section of Moving Mars where they start talking about how earth is going to [d]evolve to the point where the inhabitants are simply a "Hive mind" in which everyone is basically a robot following out the orders of the "queen bee." In essence this basically describes We and of course I didn't like this one either, because of the pessimism. I mean honestly, don't these Russian people have *Something* better to live for? It seems like these authors are just lost in their own hopelessness.

Well anyhow, that's what I've been reading. And thankfully a friend is teaching me how to read faster, and it's working! It's awesome!
Drewsov
CCGR addict
I respect your opinion on Cat's Cradle, Darth, but I would suggest reading more of Vonnegut, or at least understand his work to a greater degree, before making blanket statements about such an amazing and influential author.

jester747
Forum Moderator
Trudogger wrote:
jester747 wrote:I'm not actually reading them now, but I just read Ted Dekker novels. Man is he good.
Eh. He can be good, but oftentimes is not. Blink, Thr3e, House, and Blessed Child are the only novels of his that delivered for me. Showdown was just gross, and I got too bored with Saint to finish it. The highly lauded Circle Trilogy, frankly, I hated. An interesting concept that turned into a weird contest.

I just finished When Heaven Weeps (by Dekker). I found it rather pathetic, actually. Which makes me regret borrowing the sequel because now I feel obliged to read it.

CK: Read The Two Towers and Return of the King. nao.
The cirlce trilogy was pretty good I thought. And I haven't read showdown yet.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
Fred1000000
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
"Cell" by Stephen King. Good book.
Current Kudos: 135
Cool Points: 2
Awards: Most Crazy Batcrap Insane Poster