The Extremes of Hardware Modding

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ZanySauce
Gamer
Gamer
Recently I watched a video about a guy who spent years on modding his Sega Saturn. The video is about half an hour and he goes into excruciating detail into how he figured out the system's internals.

And that got me thinking... what are some crazy hardware mods you have seen and would like to share? What extremes have you gone to modify your system?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Adding this to my Xbox One is about the extent of it.

We do hack our systems to allow us to use homebrew though
skeer
Got a link to that video? Might watch it in my free time.

Most extreme thing I have done are mostly overly complicated software or softmodding. Only hardware thing that comes to mind is how I charged my brother's 3ds when the charger stopped working. Basically took a snap circuit wall outlet power supply and wired it to the two pads on the left and right of the charger port (the coppery looking pads).

The wall outlet plugin was 9v 500ma, plugged into the snap circuit I had on hand. The piece can convert the power into 3v, 5v, or 6v. The 3ds charger outputs 5v usually, so I went with that. It wasn't a very good solution, as the wires kept getting bumped out easily and the 3ds charger normally outputs 1a or 1000ma, so it only charged at half speed with the provided 500ma. But it kept his 3ds somewhat charged and working until we got a replacement charger.

I tried powering the Wii/Wii u ir bar for PC use, but had no luck. I just turn on the Wii u and put it in Wii mode when I need the it bar for PC. I should probably try to train myself in the art of hackfu better, but I'd rather try taking on useful tasks that are within my skill range. I either lack skill or motivation, I just got lucky I think.
ZanySauce
Gamer
Gamer
skeer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 pm Got a link to that video? Might watch it in my free time.

I can find it for you, but I'm not sure if I should post a link to it here since it has some language and adult humor it. Would a PM be ok?