RPG Magic

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Gamer4Jesus89
Noob
Noob
Hi, everyone. So I've been visiting this site for a while, but created an account today because I wanted everyone's opinion on something. What do you think of magic in rpgs or games in general, such as in Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc? Also, what do you think about games that include mythological figures (like Greek gods) or fantasy gods and/or spirits (Yuna summoning creatures and sending away spirits in FFX, Wraiths in Lord of the Rings games, or the Arceus legend in Pokemon)?

I ask because lately I have been purging my collection of games I feel aren't appropriate, like GTA, Halo, Assassin's Creed, first few Phoenix Wright games, etc. But now I'm worried about games like those above. I've always loved fantasy games like Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, but now I'm worried because they have these things, that God may be holding it against me.

I've been praying about this and I think (maybe) God led me to here, as random Google searches were less than successful.

I should note this has never bothered me before and I can easily discern fantasy from reality. Its just my OCD and worry tends to get the better of me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I tend to play warrior classed characters in general but don't have any problem using healing or elemental magic if made available. The kind of magic I am not comfortable with are necromancy (summoning undead) based ones or ones that involve interacting with occult symbols. Ultimately this is between you and God what doesn't phase one Christian may deeply convict another and if you're feeling guilty playing something then you're probably better off avoiding it.

Welcome to the forums!
Gamer4Jesus89
Noob
Noob
Thank you. Glad to be here.

Yeah, I agree. The only kind of resurrection stuff I've been okay with is bringing back a fallen party member.

I guess maybe it isn't even the magic that bothers me as much as the deity figures. In Kingdom Hearts, you have a whole world based on Hercules. Golden Sun has summons you can, but don't have to, use that are based on demons. Pokemon has Arceus and ghosts/mediums, Zelda has the three goddesses, Lord of the Rings has wraiths, etc. I know these are all fake. Have known since I was a kid and I've been playing these since I was young. And I've always been interested in mythology, as they are interesting stories and provide insight into cultures.

I guess it's just after I got rid of some of the more violent games in my collection, my worry went rampant, so that I was wondering if even playing Kingdom Hearts of all things was alright since it has Greek gods and vague references to Incan gods, or Pokemon with the aforementioned ghosts and Arceus. Or any game with fake spirits and/or gods.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
In my opinion, if it's pure fantasy-based magic, I'm OK with it. If the magic is based on the real world, or actual occult practices, that's a different story entirely - especially if it's required to advance through the storyline.

But it depends on how God leads you. Pray about it, and see where He leads you. :)
Gamer4Jesus89
Noob
Noob
Thank you. Yeah, I have been praying about it. It just started to get bad once I found out about the demons in Golden Sun you could use, but don't have to. Or when I bought Fire Emblem Fates. Sure, the dark mages in that aren't great, but it was still fantasy magic. But I wasn't sure about the diviners and priestesses since they're designed to be somewhat like Shinto figures. Like I said, I think it's less the magic stuff and more the fantasy religion and gods/spirits.

I don't know. Maybe I'm letting my worry drive me to gray hair like always. But hearing everyone's opinions so far has helped. Thank you.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Personally I am not fond of it, especially when we look at what the Holy Bible says on the subject. Ezekiel 13 is a good read. Also Revelations 22:15, and Revelations 9:20-21.

I am a creative thinker, and feel there are more intelligent ways to have the skills without magic. An ointment, and bandage to heal. Anointing with oil is actually the Biblical path to healing. It would also be less controversial. And more friendly to the super majority of Americans that self ID as Christian. In many ways the usage of magic is a crutch/cheat that many developers and publishers use.

One fact to keep in mind is many of these games come from Japan, where Hindu, and Buddhist beliefs are more prominent. So part of this (like all the RPGs with goddess characters) is the developers and publishers proselytizing their beliefs. Some people even accuse them of trying to shove their beliefs down our throats, and not being sensitive and compassionate to our beliefs. One of my issues for years has been the lack of regionalization/localization of religious beliefs in video games. They could make it friendlier to Christians if they wanted to. Which brings me to the conclusion they don't. They want to undermine our beliefs. I have lost track of how many friends I have had over the years that brainwashed themselves with RPGs filled with Eastern beliefs that left the church, and left God to pursue one of those Eastern religious beliefs. There is definitely a danger there. Every single person that plays with snakes long enough does get bit.

The more time you spend in the word, and in prayer the more discerning you will become. You will also become sensitive to the Holy Spirit on what to do, and what to avoid. Remember each of us has different strengths and weaknesses.
Gamer4Jesus89
Noob
Noob
I don't know if I would say they're always proselytizing their beliefs necessarily. I'm sure some are, but some like Pokemon seem to combine a bit of different religions. Or Kingdom Hearts has Greek gods, Santa Claus, etc.

Also, I don't think they could easily localize and change things for the US. For example, if heavily featured a god based on, say, a Hindu god, they would have to completely redesign it, change dialogue, etc, which would cost the publisher money. So I think it's a monetary concern rather than seeking to convert people.
rambo919
Noob
Noob
There are three things to consider:

Is it real magic.
Is the magic a pervasive necessary part of the game world.
Is the magic ever considered good.

It does not matter if you always play non-magic paths if the game promotes magic or another spiritually poisonous ideology.

Almost all "sci-fi" rpg's also have magic cloaked in jargon to make it seem like technology, like mass effect and it's blue pagan lesbian diana-cult type sorceress'.