Nintendo Switch

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
ImperialR wrote:Anyway, new Mario game, a 3D one, but due to how it looked more like 3D World, it is probably not galaxy 3.
[/quote]The first part of it made me think more of a Mario 64 (or Sunshine without Fludd),
to have the explorative freedom of those games with Galaxy's smooth controls, camera, and polish would be amazing. :o

Needless to say, I am looking forward to seeing more info on the next 3D Mario game.[/quote]

Yeah it does look like Sunshine to me. To bad it's not Galaxy 3, but as long as it's more like Sunshine/Galaxy than 3D land/world I'll like it more.
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
ImperialR
JOJ650s wrote:
Chozon1 wrote:Yeah, but it'll mean it can't just be a 'simple' port. It'll require dedicated time and a team to remove and add features from the game, which will drive up costs. It makes sense with Zelda and Splatoon, since those games are crazy popular (or at least will be crazy popular, in the case of Zelda), but I'm not sure it'll be seen as worthy of effort to bring a lot of titles over.
Indeed; really the only port I greatly expect is Pikmin 3, but that all depends on Pikmin 4's sales on the Switch.
ImperialR wrote:Anyway, new Mario game, a 3D one, but due to how it looked more like 3D World, it is probably not galaxy 3.
The first part of it made me think more of a Mario 64 (or Sunshine without Fludd),
to have the explorative freedom of those games with Galaxy's smooth controls, camera, and polish would be amazing. :o

Needless to say, I am looking forward to seeing more info on the next 3D Mario game.

I personally hope for the SNES classic. :P This is the first Nintendo system since the DS geared at young adults/older teens. :/ I actually would like another Sunshine, because 1. Graphics could do the tropical lighting and plants justice now. 2. Water physics can actually be used to allow Mario to fill in shallow pools to activate switches, puddles stay longer after cleanups, etc.

I'm interested in Breath of the Wild, but the Wii U version. :/ And seriously, you had a console with a mobile gamepad, and you STILL didn't make a new Pokemon snap. Maybe the Switch could at least have some weird Pokemon Go console version since you can use it mobiley...

Also the video doesn't show any more of the Mario footage when the two player is supposed to start with the...Awkwardly small controllers. Anyway, this can mean a few things: this may not actually be multiplayer: or the more likely, the game is in such an early stage that they don't have enough of that worked out for an adequate clip.

So have you seen where this one's gimmick is effecting the games yet?

Gamecube: an innovate console, which had games that break the usual expectations, Mario cleaning pollution, Link being cartoony, Luigi in a title role, etc.

Wii: Since motion controls are the main thing here, work them into a bunch of games to where you need them!

Wii U: Work weird AR-ish gamepad views and the second screen into gameplay.

Switch:...Well So far the actual mobile/control flexibility doesn't seem to effect the games so far, seeing as all but maybe the Mario game and possibly Mario Kart in the video will be changed by it that much.

I wonder if Skyrim will be just vanilla Skyrim, or be like Wii U Arkham City and be adjusted to be more family friendly, seeing as it's geared at young adults, probably not. But it's probably safe to say we're not going to see Fallout New Vegas on this console. ;)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Why not? There were several 'mature' games on the Wii U. And the Wii, for that matter, though no one seems to remember it.

Thing is, I don't think the Switch is being marketed to the "Millenial crowd". That's a marketing analysts idea, but this was only the first trailer. I have many doubts of many of my guesses...but I have no doubts that as March approaches, we will see trailers featuring all manner of individuals of all shapes and sizes. They're just not going to cut off that much of their market share.

Mind, I'd actually prefer it if Ninty put the foot down and demanded more friendly versions of 'mature' titles. But I can well imagine the outrage over such an action.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Chozon1 wrote:Mind, I'd actually prefer it if Ninty put the foot down and demanded more friendly versions of 'mature' titles. But I can well imagine the outrage over such an action.
I don't know that you would, as that would likely just mean third party developers would just not bother making a version for the Switch at all. And after the Wii U, Nintendo needs all the third party support they can muster; deliberately souring that relationship by demanding "censored" (don't lie, you know that's how it would be spun by gamers at large) versions would only serve to drive them away. The other possibility is that we get lesser versions of the game for the Nintendo console. Call of Duty: World at War on Wii didn't have the Nazi Zombies mode. That's like half the draw of that game. If that happens again (Nintendo port loses features and is objectively the inferior version) I don't think gamers are going to stand for it.
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
I am looking forward to the new Mario Kart game.
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
ZappierVirus wrote:I am looking forward to the new Mario Kart game.
Can't say it's necessarily "new" but like a port of Mario Kart 8. It looks to similar to the actual Mario Kart 8 game to be Mario Kart 9, but who knows I might be entirely wrong. I have to say I'm looking forward to the port/new game as well! I'm really glad they fixed the item issue to where you can now hold 2 items at once (and with the possibly added ability to switch between the 2 items) Maybe there will be double item boxes like in Double Dash! It also looks like there will be new characters (King Boo is a definite yes, while Dry Bones is a possibility). The one other thing I hope they fix is the battle mode, because they made a pretty big revamp to battle mode for the worst. The reason it was bad is because there wasn't any unique battle mode exclusive tracks and it relied on a select amount of tracks from the Grand Prix and VS modes (which also made battle mode linear in movement, and that didn't feel right for battle mode).

1.12 is here!

ImperialR
Deepfreeze32 wrote:
Chozon1 wrote:Mind, I'd actually prefer it if Ninty put the foot down and demanded more friendly versions of 'mature' titles. But I can well imagine the outrage over such an action.
I don't know that you would, as that would likely just mean third party developers would just not bother making a version for the Switch at all. And after the Wii U, Nintendo needs all the third party support they can muster; deliberately souring that relationship by demanding "censored" (don't lie, you know that's how it would be spun by gamers at large) versions would only serve to drive them away. The other possibility is that we get lesser versions of the game for the Nintendo console. Call of Duty: World at War on Wii didn't have the Nazi Zombies mode. That's like half the draw of that game. If that happens again (Nintendo port loses features and is objectively the inferior version) I don't think gamers are going to stand for it.

*Cough* *Cough* Mortal Kombat on SNES *Cough* Sweat instead of blood *Cough* Nintendo has had a back record with censoring.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ImperialR wrote:
Deepfreeze32 wrote:

*Cough* *Cough* Mortal Kombat on SNES *Cough* Sweat instead of blood *Cough* Nintendo has had a back record with censoring.
Right, and that caused quite a bit of controversy back in the day. Lots of my friends (Although it was really their older brothers, because I was just a bit too young for the SNES/Genesis era, I just played at their houses) got the Genesis version specifically because it wasn't censored.

If I recall correctly, NoA also censored Wolfenstein 3D and maybe Doom on the SNES.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I don't know that you would, as that would likely just mean third party developers would just not bother making a version for the Switch at all. And after the Wii U, Nintendo needs all the third party support they can muster; deliberately souring that relationship by demanding "censored" (don't lie, you know that's how it would be spun by gamers at large) versions would only serve to drive them away. The other possibility is that we get lesser versions of the game for the Nintendo console. Call of Duty: World at War on Wii didn't have the Nazi Zombies mode. That's like half the draw of that game. If that happens again (Nintendo port loses features and is objectively the inferior version) I don't think gamers are going to stand for it.
Like I said: I can imagine the outrage. Also like I said, I personally wouldn't care. :P I'm more likely to play a game (or recommend it) if the violence and sex is toned down or censored. Censorship is not a four letter word for me, so I wouldn't have to lie; I'd probably nod in agreement and give them a toast. XD Ninty has always shot for being a mostly family friendly company; I'm not only OK with that, I appreciate it. I can admit that I'm not the typical gamer, but...meh.

However, there are problems with the theory. For one, a large portion of the modified games for both Wii and Wii U were done for resource, power and user input reasons, not Nintendo demanding censorship. Games designed for a standard control scheme don't port easily to motion controls, especially when those controls had fewer buttons.

BUT...the main reason inferior versions (most of the time, anyway) were created is because both of the consoles were significantly weaker than their counterparts. Particularly in the instance of Call of Duty, since I don't even think adding a zombies mode to that would have allowed it to fit on a regular DVD. O_o Between the lack of a Blu-Ray (or HD DVD) drive and half the processing power, a lot of game companies couldn't make one game that went across all platforms; the Wii/U required special attention. This isn't theory, but well documented fact.

Keep in mind, the Wii got a port of Dead Space that was just as gross as the 'real version', and the Resident Evil series was remade for it (after being a huge seller on the Gamecube). Not including the terrible Silent Hill games and dozens of assorted sleazy M-rated titles, those games are legitimately scary; "mature" by the gamers definition. Any arguments that the Wii U failed because Nintendo wanted cleaner versions of games have a lot of mountains to leap on their way to logical success.

Spin the argument around however, and question whether weaker hardware will cause the same effect...well, that's a legitimate concern, and something I'm far more worried about than claims of censorship.
ImperialR wrote:*Cough* *Cough* Mortal Kombat on SNES *Cough* Sweat instead of blood *Cough* Nintendo has had a back record with censoring.
Twenty+ years ago, amigo. And again, I applaud them for it. XD I'm sorry if it ticked off a group of bloodthirsty teens, I guess. I was more of a Street Fighter guy though; only change there was the blood was turned into yellowish vomit. Only reason kid Chozon was allowed to play it. :P
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Doom on the SNES.
I didn't know this was a thing. Crazy, what the SNES hardware could support. O_o However, while Nintendo asked (and was promptly ignored) that all religious references be removed, the violence was only changed because of--yet again--hardware limitations. And only slightly.
ImperialR
I mean...You can have third party games without an M rating, Dynasty Warriors, EA sports games...
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Well Nintendo is going to give us a sweet post-present for Christmas. A Nintendo Switch presentation will take place on January 12, 2017! :D :D

1.12 is here!

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Neat!
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Currently a lot of people are expecting the console to be priced at $299. Which is what the Wii U costs currently as well.

1.12 is here!

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has Nintendo actually indicated anything to that end?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
No, just rumors