Whats your thoughts on a 3DS/2DS

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Celuan
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey, so I wanted to get a little more active in the forums again and I wanted to know what's the ups and downs of a 2DS. (Also I wanted to see if my Kirby Dance thing worked.) Do you encourage me to get one and stop using my brother's DS to play Pokémon? Also what new 2DS games are there that might be worth getting? Kid Icarus: Uprising caught my eye as well as the new SSB... 3DS... That the best you got Nintendo? Also what is the difference between a 3DS and a 2DS? Maybe?
KIRBY DANCE!!!
(<-_-<) (^-_-^) (>-_->)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Nice to see you again Celuan,
I don't own a 2DS myself, but I do know the differences.

They are practically the same, and can run the same games as a 3DS.
These are the three main differences:
-The 2DS doesn't have the neat foldable design.
-The 2DS doesn't have the 3D pop out effect. (Hence the name 2DS)
-The 2DS has mono sound while the 3DS has stereo. (The 2DS does give out stereo if you use headphones though.)

You can find an simple comparison here,
and a slightly more detailed on here.

-----------------

As for game suggestions...
-Pokemon X or Y are great games. (Review: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/inde ... on-x-y-3ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
-Super Smash Brothers when it comes out.
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a good one. (Review: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/inde ... een-worlds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf if you don't mind it's laid back play style.
-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask if you like puzzles.

There is also:
Paper Mario Sticker Star, (Review: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/inde ... icker-star" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Mario & Luigi Dream Team, (Review: http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/inde ... m-team-3ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,
but I haven't actually played those three yet.
Oh, and there is also a Kirby game coming out soon.

(If you also want suggestions for normal DS games, I can also suggest a number of those too. XD)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Celuan
Ya, I also thought the new Kirby: Triple Deluxe looked interesting.

And from what I gather the 2DS is a cheaper 3DS taking some small features and 3D

Maybe?
KIRBY DANCE!!!
(<-_-<) (^-_-^) (>-_->)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I would get a 3DS over a 2DS since you can always disable the 3D on a 3DS but you can never enable 3D on a 2DS
micah211
VIP Member
VIP Member
Safer for a 3DS they don't have the screen out in the open so it is harder to break the screen. And... Who doesn't want 3D???
I literally do nothing
Celuan
I was never really interested in the 3D,it seems to mess with my perspective. Maybe?
KIRBY DANCE!!!
(<-_-<) (^-_-^) (>-_->)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
In all honesty I mostly play with the 3D off, but some games do use it well
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Get Fire Emblem: Awakening, Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, HarmoKnight, Azure Sriker: Gunvolt (it comes out in the Summer), Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, AeternoBlade, Bravely Default, Chibi-Robo.........Starfox 3D..........Kid Icarus: Uprising..........Moon Chronicles............yeah, that's what I would get.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I recommend Theatrhythm
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Celuan wrote:And from what I gather the 2DS is a cheaper 3DS taking some small features and 3D

Maybe?
Yup, pretty much.

micah211
VIP Member
VIP Member
DeadManReedeemed wrote:Get Fire Emblem: Awakening, Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, HarmoKnight, Azure Sriker: Gunvolt (it comes out in the Summer), Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, AeternoBlade, Bravely Default, Chibi-Robo.........Starfox 3D..........Kid Icarus: Uprising..........Moon Chronicles............yeah, that's what I would get.
estimated $300??? Lol I like the pokemon games and they are AMAZING 3D!!!
I literally do nothing
Emwok
CCGR addict
I think having problems with 3D depends on the person, but I personally don't get headaches and stuff from 3D mode. I got a 3DS XL for Christmas and have since gotten a few games including Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pokémon X, Mario and Luigi Dream Team (came preloaded) and a few others from the eshop that I got through Club Nintendo. It is harder to break the screen on a 3DS, but that just means that if you drop it and break the plastic casing, you will probably damage the electronics instead. I like to carry my DS in my pocket to get StreetPass tags and unless you have ginormous pockets, I don't think you could do that with a 2DS. Also, like ccgr said, with a 3DS you can deactivate 3D mode but on a 2DS you can't activate it. If you like Pokémon, you can get a special edition 3DS XL with Pokémon X or Y preloaded.
Spoiler:

FamilyFriendlyGaming
I like the 2DS, and let me explain why. If you do not want the 3D, or the 3D triggers migraines with you (as it does with my first born son, and wife), why pay for it? The 2DS is way cheaper. It lets you play the 3DS games without paying for the 3D feature.

We have a 3DS, and a 2DS. Let me be blunt. The 3D is nice eye candy for a few minutes. Absolutely unplayable with gyro controls. Your eyes and the screen have to be lined up, or it looks all messed up. When I review something on the 3DS I check out the 3D for a few minutes, watch it drain that ridiculously small battery life, and quickly get it into non 3D mode. I lost interest in games in 3D a long time ago. It was cool looking at first, but that faded pretty fast - kinda like Denver's hopes of winning the Super Bowl. :)

The next cool feature of the 2DS is the lack of the breakable hinges. The one piece design means you will not break those hinges. I have talked to multiple employees at Gamestop who tell me they get broken hinges on 3DS all the time.

My one concern about the 2DS is there is no screen protection. If you drop something on it face up, you could break screens. The 3DS closes up and protects the screens. It was also harder to find a case for the 2DS. At least when we were looking. Not sure about now. Overall I think the 2DS is awesome. :)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:The next cool feature of the 2DS is the lack of the breakable hinges. The one piece design means you will not break those hinges. I have talked to multiple employees at Gamestop who tell me they get broken hinges on 3DS all the time.
Wait really? Wow, I knew normal DS hinges are very likely to break over time no matter how careful you are to them, but the 3DS' hinges? I am kinda impressed people break those. XD
Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

FamilyFriendlyGaming
I have never personally had a problem with the hinge. So it is third hand information.