Last Game You Beat

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Another topic revival.

Finally beat Dragon Age: Origins and got the "I'm a Big Deal" (main character never fell in battle) Achievement. I still maintain that the gameplay is lacking, but the story did a decent job of making up for it. It seems very open ended, though some of the choices seem to be either presented poorly, or too obvious.

All in all I'd give it a... 7/10.
"Love is immortal... Too bad you aren't." Magoichi Saika (Samurai Warriors 2)
Drewsov
CCGR addict
You know, Wolf... I'm still stuck in that game. XD

It's the part where you start investigating the elf slum in the city, and find some bad stuff (including ghosts). Any suggestions?

I should grab it back from my friend, and finally knock it out. :P
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Drewsov wrote:You know, Wolf... I'm still stuck in that game. XD

It's the part where you start investigating the elf slum in the city, and find some bad stuff (including ghosts). Any suggestions?

Stuck how? If you're playing on the PC and just can't find something: Use Tab. I was two thirds of the way through the game before I discovered how handy that is. It will show you the names of any intractable objects within a certain area around you.

If it's combat advice you want, it'd depend on what you're playing as and who you want to use. Though in general my advice would be: play PC if possible. After playing it side by side with my sister (her on the 360) I have to say it is definitely better on the PC as you get a LOT of helpful features.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Wolfgang wrote:
Drewsov wrote:You know, Wolf... I'm still stuck in that game. XD

Stuck how? If you're playing on the PC and just can't find something: Use Tab. I was two thirds of the way through the game before I discovered how handy that is. It will show you the names of any intractable objects within a certain area around you.

If it's combat advice you want, it'd depend on what you're playing as and who you want to use.
haha... playing on the 360. I'm playing as a City Elf warrior, and have Alistair and Morrigan and Gimli looking dude in my party.

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Drewsov wrote:haha... playing on the 360. I'm playing as a City Elf warrior, and have Alistair and Morrigan and Gimli looking dude in my party.
Ouch. If you have the cash (and haven't already) it would be worth it to go to Wonders of Thedas in Dennerim to get the Spirit Healer manual. It's always handy to have even just the first spell or two: Party Heal, and Revival is useful as well, so teach them to Morrigan (or just switch to Wynne since she comes with them, but I prefer Morrigan)

Depending on what route you're going with on your Warden you might consider switching either Alistiar or Oghren out for either Leliana or Zevran. It's always nice to have a rogue in your party for locks, traps, and general scouting. They don't have a single useless specialization either- Duelist improves individual effectiveness, Bard improves party effectiveness, Assassin is a bit of both- backstab bonuses and a skill to improve damage against a single enemey,- and Ranger gives you essentially a disposable party member (with at least two skills in it you could just keep sending animal after animal into a room full of enemies).

With talents it's fairly important to stay focused on a single tree. With skills you should only focus on Combat Training with everyone. Your Warden should focus on Coercion alongside that, and it's nice to have Survival on one party member, and then have your other two focus on one of the remaining trees.

As far as specific tips for that area... I don't have much. I used my mage and rogues to great effect, but that was with the ability to pause the game. Having to do it all in real time sounds a lot harder.
TheWampaKing
VIP Member
VIP Member
Black ops

This games amazing. Vereh happy with it. 9.75/10
"When the world flips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall"
"IT'S LIKE GIBBERISH ONLY IT'S IN PRINT." - DeadManReedeemed
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Infamous

:shock:

Between this and LittleBigPlanet, it makes me sad to know how many gamers still shun the PS3.

But that's not the point.

The point is that Infamous rocks sooooooo haaaaaard.
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Dragon Age Origins- Awakening.

Not as good as the main game. I encountered a problem where my allies would hang back in combat instead of joining in, even if they weren't set to Hold Position. I don't recall that in the main game. There's other more noticeable bugs in the way of glitched influence, and at least two places you can lose what you have equipped on the Warden or another character and a few others I didn't run into.

The game provides some interesting features in the ability to upgrade your Keep by investing money into it and finding materials for various people to use (I invested in everything and still had over 500 gold by the end). There's also a number of choices you make in the game, such as how to handle uprisings and legal issues. The new Talents are interesting, (for everyone but mages at least) though you have to keep a closer eye on your stamina bar as almost every new sustained drains stamina constantly. The new rogue AoE attacks are particularly fun (I finished the game with Rain of Arrows and it looked kind of epic with the Warden walking off screen and the arrows still falling on the final boss's corpse).

Of course, main concern is probably story, where this falls rather flat. The game basically just throws a number of curveballs at you and only explains one of them and the whole looking for answers plot threw me out of the game more than drew me in. As far as characters go Oghren you already know from the main game, and he's the only returning character. Wynne and Alistair both make brief appearances, but that's it. Anders just felt like a recycling of Alistair's personality as a mage (it's not a bad personality, but considering he's in an expansion of the game said character is from...). Velanna was simply annoying and I honestly hoped she would die in the Joining (out of 6 characters taking the Joining in this game only one dies). Sigrun, Nathaniel, and Justice were interesting however and somewhat more original.

I'd give this a 6/10
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Mafia 2

Well... the story was pretty good. Not a big fan of the combat, and the back end of the game loads on waaaaayyy too many combat heavy missions, which don't really do much to add to the game, in my experience. Still, it was a fun game, and it was marked by plenty of cool innovations in the genre.

epsons
VIP Member
VIP Member
Drewsov wrote:Mafia 2

Well... the story was pretty good. Not a big fan of the combat, and the back end of the game loads on waaaaayyy too many combat heavy missions, which don't really do much to add to the game, in my experience. Still, it was a fun game, and it was marked by plenty of cool innovations in the genre.
Yeah, I definitely preferred the pacing of the first half... Plus, the winter atmosphere was just amazing. Seriously. I want to play through the game a third time, now that the snow has fallen in Canada. XD

One thing that disappoints me in retrospect is how the side missions that were originally planned for the main game were taken out of the game, stripped of their atmosphere and subtlety and later sold in the dlc Joe's Adventures. I started Joe's Adventures and the first mission was pretty good. Then the next mission was the side mission that was shown in the Gamescom 2009 preview video, but with all the associated cutscenes, interaction and stealth elements removed... all in all, it just felt like a cheapened experience.
I mean, I loved the main game, but it could have been even better and not to mention more lengthy if it weren't for this dlc gambit. :|
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose."
Harvester
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Finally found time to get a good long stretch of gaming in. Finished Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Fallen, playing as Worf. Fun game with interesting story, but suffering from a lack of polish.

First I thought it was going to be harder with Worf, because of him not having a phaser but a useless Bat'Leth, but the missions I played tonight (two long ones and a short one) were actually easier than with Kira. Worf's missions had more of a focus on run-and-gun gameplay (which I'm good at), while Kira's missions had more of a focus on stealth gameplay (which I suck at and simply don't like very much), so it was all good.

Next game I'll play will be a replay of one of my favorite games ever, System Shock 2 (where my avatar is from). Think I'll go configure it, make it ready for play, go check if there are any worthwhile mods I haven't installed yet, and then go to sleep. Good thing I'm free tomorrow.
airpa
VIP Member
VIP Member
Call of Duty: World At War

PC, Full graphics. Hardened difficulty. :P Good game. Very graphic game, but very good graphics.

Next on the list is Lord of the Rings: Conquest for PC. Beat good campaign just gotta beat Evil. :D
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Call of Duty: Black Ops

Just finished this.

Basically, one of the best shooters I've ever played. The game actually made me care about what was happening and the characters, unlike Modern Warfare 1 and 2, which basically made no sense. At all.

Ironic, then, that the best Call of Duty game in years came from that "other" studio, not IW.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Drew....I'm glad to hear you say that. My parents bought that as a gift for someone. XD
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Yeah, it was definitely pretty good stuff. I was even impressed with how they handled Vietnam, though... one of the scenes in it is pretty much directly taken from The Deer Hunter. I'd link the scene (since it's on Youtube), but there's quite a bit of bad language and some violence in it... so not gonna.

If you want to see, though, look up "The Deer Hunter (best scene)" on Youtube... should be the first result.