What was the last game you played?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Super Mario RPG.

I <3 this game :3!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Halo Wars.

Shame on me for hoping a console RTS could be as...I dunno. I wanna say "complicated", but that sounds bad. :lol: Thing is, with RTS games, I need the ability to assign units. I can form unit 1 out of standard units as my rush squad, unit 2 out of tanks/armor for big booms, unit 3 out of flyers for strategy, ETC.

Halo Wars has not this capability. You can select a group around a unit, select your entire force, or select by type (none of these are solid units however; I can't switch between them). And I realize lack of number keys is part of the reason for this, but that wouldn't preclude a queue of some sort. So far, it's essentially been "build a big army and throw them all at once at a target". This works well most of the time, but worked horrifically on a mission wherein I was required to protect civilians; forget setting up squads to protect roads, or sending squads to follow the running people. It was "camp at the ships, send troops to the bastions along the way, and hope like crazy". :lol:

The army size is another issue. You can, at least so far, have up to thirty "colony points" in your army. 1 point for marines, two for armor (except Warthogs, which are only 1). I'm fairly certain this is a hardware issue, to be honest. But I feel naked without the hideously large army I normally build in these kinds of games.

It's fun, and interesting, I'll not lie. Just...I've been spoiled by compy RTS.
delve
Some game genres just don't translate well to the stunted input scheme known as a controller. Perhaps as the tech matures some of the various motion based inputs will help. And the word you're looking for may be intricate or complex. The PC Superiority complex in me wants to say 'competent' ;)

I started playing StarDrive yesterday. It's got promise but is in many ways a very clunky UI experience. I'm hoping that will improve as I dig into the keyboard shortcuts for things.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I was looking at StarDrive. Caught my interest, but I was thinking of waiting till they have multiplayer out before buying.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
delve wrote:Some game genres just don't translate well to the stunted input scheme known as a controller. Perhaps as the tech matures some of the various motion based inputs will help. And the word you're looking for may be intricate or complex. The PC Superiority complex in me wants to say 'competent' ;)
"Stunted" is the wrong word I think; "simpler" or, in my Consoler opinion, "streamlined", works better (on my grumpy anti-PC gamer days, I'd say "functional". >_>). Because aside from the inability to assign units, I have no complaints about the game. I've even found ways to get around that by selecting units by type, or area; justs require a bit more attention than pressing a key, since if I hit the "select all unit" button, I'll recall all my units from around the map. XD

It's not as easy as, say, composing an all-around unit in Starcraft, but it's less difficult than my 3AM rant would lead one to believe.

Played more Halo Wars. I've gotten used to it a bit more, and also encountered something I despise, but won't mention. >_>
delve
We don't really want to get into rants about input schemes. I had a couple paragraphs to say on the subject anyway but it's a serious digression for this topic so I made myself delete them >.>

To get back on track though, has anyone tried Starforge? I nearly got it when I bought StarDrive but it looks too much like a pipe dream for me to spend money on.
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
delve wrote:To get back on track though, has anyone tried Starforge? I nearly got it when I bought StarDrive but it looks too much like a pipe dream for me to spend money on.
I want it, but as with all Steam games, wait for the sale.

I last played Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Postal 2, courtesy of Krytae.

This game is almost a little too perfect for me.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories interesting card system
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Empire Total War.

This game makes me want to pull my hair out. When I choose to autoresolve a battle, and the odds are 7:1 in my favor, I expect to win. Not be crushingly defeated.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Sounds like you need to become a better general. Or stop fighting Leonidas.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Dug out my old copy of Freelancer.

About seven hours ago.

<_<

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ah...I've always wanted to own Freelancer. Never had a computer really capable of playing it though. At least, not when I had money to purchase the game.

Modern Warfare 3.

A month of free Xbox Live. GLORIOUS.

Sadly, my dual P90's are a thing of the past. Apparently someone decided dual submachine guns were over powered. >.>

That said, I am quite happily rocking dual FM9's (similar to Uzi's), and taking the decreased oomph in stride. For now, anyway.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I last played Don't Starve, on it's adventure mode...
I haven't gotten past the first world yet... XD
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Corpfox
Starcraft: Brood War

1707 hrs!
|
|
V