United or Free for All

Got a burning question? Ask it here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Jensen
Noob
Noob

United or Free for All

Postby Jensen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 pm

If so much technology unites us, why I feel so alone? Why has it been so hard for me to make online gaming friends over the past 10 years? Maybe because I never get good enough in a game to join a group? Maybe because competition is fierce in online gaming? Are there people out there who don't mind playing with someone who isn't good and investing in them in order to help them be a better gamer. But even more importantly, investing in a friendship. Sometimes I feel like the world of gaming is a giant free for all, but that may be in part because I do not fully understand it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
Jensen

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!

Re: United or Free for All

Postby ccgr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Don't play Guns of Icarus online, I never got such a tongue lashing for being a new player before in my life. It all depends on the community and games. Every place is different.

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:44 am

I think entering a community makes it hard if you can't compete at their level. What I've found works better is joining a game WITH an existing community. For example, I'm part of a forum called Negative World, and when I play with others there they don't mind putting up with how bad I am because we're already still friends. But if I just tried to join them and they didn't know me, I think they would be less likely to help me out while I'm failing and causing us to lose, ha ha.

Beastbot
Noob
Noob

Postby Beastbot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 am

I don't think online gaming is a good place to make new friends, honestly. There's too much cursing, quitting, deceiving, etc. I only play multiplayer with people I already know via some other venue or if there's no real chat of any kind (text or voice). The online anonymous nature just makes people awful. At least with online discussion boards you have mods, you're talking about subjects and not dealing with "video game rage", etc.
This is honestly one of the reasons why my brother has slowly been leaving video games and getting more into card & board games. You're playing with people you can see, interact with, really know, etc. My advice would be to use video gaming for times of solo relaxing and have a "real life" community -- your church, your neighborhood, whatever-- for socializing. Just IMO.

Return to “CCG University”