Starting Over

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Re: Starting Over

Postby J.K. Riki » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Okay, well good luck. If we can do anything besides prayers for encouragement, let us know!

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!

Postby ccgr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am

With all of this candy laying around here it's hard for me to hold back. Having the kids bring non-melting types to school which will donate it to soldiers.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Okay, well good luck. If we can do anything besides prayers for encouragement, let us know!
I could use a lot of prayers and encouragement, actually.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Will do, then!

Keep going, one day at a time. :)

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:00 am

I'll be praying for you as well

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, guys.

This has all been a learning experience for me. I've learned that there are lots and lots of diets in the world and most of them actually do work. Paleo works. Potato works. Weight Watchers works.

But you know why guys like me are so fat?

I's simple. It's because either:
  • I can't stick with it.
  • I succeed, and then binge on garbage.
See, the problem is that guys like me derive comfort from physical pleasure. Specifically, food. I love to eat, and I love to eat garbage. I mean straight up garbage. Pepsi, the one substance I'm probably legitimately addicted to, is poison. It drives up insulin resistance, it makes you nervous, it makes it harder for you to sleep, it rots your teeth, it makes you gain weight, it makes you thirstier which encourages you to drink more... It's pure, undistilled garbage and yet I guzzle it like it's keeping me alive.

I guzzle Pepsi by the bottle and yet I have the unmitigated gall to look at people coming out of Starbucks and think "Wow, that crap's bad for you."

Contrary to popular belief, there's no rule in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that forbids caffeine as such. I wish it did, because that, at least, would give me a hard stop motive to stop drinking soda. But it doesn't, so I have at LEAST 40oz of Pepsi or, in a pinch, Coke, every single day. I've been known to drain a 2L bottle, by myself, in a single day.

I try to stop drinking soda. I've quit several times... And yes, there's withdrawal. Legit withdrawal symptoms. I get headaches, fatigue, grouchiness, cravings... and a couple times I've even managed to get past that point and the cravings and symptoms go away... But sooner or later, I have a soda, and the cycle starts all over again.

I really believe I can cut down on my intake to the point where it isn't such a big deal, but to do that I would need to substitute something else, healthier, in its place for the rest of the time. What works? I like Gatorade. I like milk. Problem is, those things are expensive and I'd need to drink 3 or 4 times as much of it to gain the same enjoyment. Soda is cheap and concentrated.

Nope, can't drink iced tea. The Church DOES have a rule about that. Besides, would it really be any better? There's still sugar in it (at least, there would be in any tea I'd drink). At least Gatorade comes in sugar free variants that aren't so bad.

Diet soda? Pfft no. That stuff makes me feel ill. Seriously. I guess my body likes real sugar over artificial stuff.

So I'm fighting a bona fide genuine addiction. That, primarily, is what I need prayers to help me with.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 pm

I thought they didn't like any caffeine. Why is tea singled out? I'm not much for pop or coffee but I do enjoy tea.

The first step of overcoming addiction is acknowledgement so that's a good start

Seeking prayer and support is another step in the right direction, I'll pray for you

I haven't seen an pepsi patches, so I guess the next best thing would be to slowly wean off it, drink less and until you can stop...or go cold turkey but you may need some Excedrin to help with the headaches (caffeine it one of its ingredients)

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks. Yeah the gradual weaning thing works short term, but it's so easy to lose track of how much soda I've had on a given day that you really have to stay focused to make that work.

And yeah it's not caffeine. We're to avoid Coffee and tea, as well as things like alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs. Caffeine isn't the issue or we'd also be unable to have sodas or chocolate. I understand herbal tea is okay but I'm not sure about that. In any case, I don't know the exact reasoning. I trust it because I have a testimony of its truth, and it did come out originally at a time when medical experts told us that tobacco, opium and cocaine were good for us. It was right to discourage members from those things, so I trust that it's right about the other stuff, too.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 am

So I'm fighting a bona fide genuine addiction. That, primarily, is what I need prayers to help me with.
I can't speak to soda addiction, but I do have a family history of alcohol addiction as well as a personal mild addiction to gambling. My solution is total and complete abstinence. I do not drink alcohol, ever, for any reason. I watched it destroy family members, and nothing it could do for me would be worth that. As for the gambling thing, I generally do not go to places where gambling is encouraged or accessible. When I do (because it is not an addiction to the level it could be if I fed it) I draw concrete lines. If I have $20 to spend, I will do that, and not a penny more. Any winnings go into an untouchable pocket until I leave. I do not know if this is a possibility for you and soda, but if you purchased cans, say, and only allowed yourself one a day (or two a week, or whatever) then perhaps that would help. Though to be honest I find the total-abstinence of alcohol far more useful, personally. Keeps me from even getting close to desiring it. I just don't find it beneficial to my life, and so out it goes. EDIT: Also when my wife and I were getting off too-much soda we refused to bring it into the house, ever, at all. A fridge stocked with only milk and water means there's not even a temptation to crack open a Coke. One of the best things I ever did, learning to enjoy cold water more than any other drink.
We're to avoid Coffee and tea, as well as things like alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs.
Can I ask why, or would that be rude?

Legitimately curious, and have no guesses of my own.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm

My solution is total and complete abstinence.
That's my ultimate goal. Eventually I want to just completely abstain from soda except maybe once in a great, long while.
We're to avoid Coffee and tea, as well as things like alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs.
Can I ask why, or would that be rude?

Legitimately curious, and have no guesses of my own.
I don't think that's rude at all.

The LDS dietary guidelines originate in the "Word of Wisdom," which is a chapter in one of our scripture books, the Doctrine & Covenants. This particular set of verses was written in 1833.

D&C 89: 1-21:

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.
4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—
5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.
6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.
7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.
10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

So what that breaks down to, in our modern time, is no tobacco, no alcohol, no recreational drugs. No coffee, and no tea, except herbal tea. Hot chocolate is okay. It would be hard to know exactly how to interpret this for the modern day without the Prophet, whose job it is to clarify and update these things.

So if you're a member of the church and you don't abide by this, you are still a member of the church and nobody's gonna be mad at you, but you aren't permitted to enter the Temple until you start living by it. Most members obey the WoW whether they're temple worthy or not though.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:46 am

Interesting... Thanks for the explanation.

Return to “CCG Weight-loss Challenge”