Starting Over

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

Starting Over

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm

So a few years ago I started using Weight Watchers to lose weight. At the time, I was 355 lbs and using that system I actually managed to get down to 332. Not too shabby...

But it was around that time my mom's cancer reared its ugly head and her decline was fast. She died within a couple of months and during that time, with my frequent travels up to and from PA to handle her arrangements and so on, I completely fell off the dieting wagon and never really got back on it. I started eating a lot of fast food during that time because it was easy, quick and I didn't have time to eat better.

Over the years I've gotten heavier, lighter, heavier, lighter... and today I'm up to 366.

Recently, at Church, there was a call for volunteers to go and do some tree trimming as a service project. I wanted to volunteer, but realized my lack of fitness meant if I showed up I'd probably be useless. My Church also frequently organizes help for people who are moving house. To be of any use in these kinds of things you have to be fit. I am not. That means my lack of fitness is literally preventing me from doing what the Lord would have me do in service to my fellow brothers and sisters. This is not okay.

Today, I started over.

Why am I posting this?

1. To encourage others who read it, and also want to be lighter, to join me. Let's make it a group effort!
2. To try and make myself more accountable by requesting feedback form others, both positive and negative.
3. Just because.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Re: Starting Over

Postby J.K. Riki » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:20 am

Good deal! It's always the right plan to start again any time we need to. What's the old C. S. Lewis quote?

“Progress means getting nearer to the place you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer.
If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.”

Little different, but it's what popped into my head. :)

My wife and I started Interval Training yesterday, a 7 week program that we're doing together. Me to get into some form of shape and keep my heart healthy, and her for trying to achieve a healthier weight (and also to be in some form of shape, because it sure is helpful in the day to day). It was pretty exhausting yesterday, but honestly I kind of felt better than before we had started after I had warmed down. Plus it was wonderful to be out in the park and moving after a long, long winter. And we'll see how tomorrow goes for Day 2.

Let us know if you need cheered on or a gentle reminder to keep at it!

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:10 am

ArcticFox I can stand to lose about 20lbs. My goal weight is 145 and would be happy to work together on reaching our goals.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:35 am

Thanks guys. And yeah, CS Lewis is one of the great philosophers of the 20th Century.

I dunno if gentle encouragement will always be enough. In some cases, I'm thinking full-on drill instructor...

On the upside:

The new Weight Watchers system has a LOT of things that I enjoy eating that are ZERO points... meaning you can eat as much of it as you want. Examples include grilled chicken, eggs and lentils. This will be a huge help. I plan to grill a bunch of chicken breasts on the charcoal grill outside for the week, and use it in salads, sandwiches, tacos, etc.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Checking in since Monday seems like a good time to do it. Interval Training is still going well, but I have to admit I'm super tired today and it's rainy out so I don't want to do today's. Also last week we had some strength training mixed in and pushups and squat-jumps made my muscles screaming the following morning. Blah!

But that's how you get better, I suppose. Onward and upward.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I don't need a personal trainer, I need someone to follow me and knock the sweets out of my hands :)

Expat_PM
Noob
Noob

Postby Expat_PM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:28 am

Wow.
Y'all are so courageous to be this open and transparent.
My wife an I started Whole30 on June 1st.
That's no grains, no sweetners (real or fake) and no dairy.
There are a few other stipulations but that's the gist of it.

It get's tough but doing it with someone who loves me as much as "the girl of my dreams" does... well, it makes it easier.

I suggest to all of you (and the others who have read this but did not comment) get a partner.
Someone who will say, "I love you and want to be old with you. Get up and let's go walk."

Praying for all of you,
Jeff
Peace,
Expat_PM

Perhaps today!
Revelation 1:7

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm

So the wife and I are gonna start juicing... being inspired by the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

I won't go into all thevdetsils until I can discuss results. We're ordering a juicer andvwill begin when it arrives.

Today's weight: 363
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 pm

We had to put a hold on training because of some injury stuff, but hopefully that will resolve soon and we can get back to it. In the meantime we've been at least taking a walk every night, which is nice.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccgr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 am

Good luck with the juicing...Jay's brother made me a veggie juice when we were on vacation. It was interesting. I'm trying to lose weight still and have lost a few pounds that were gained from my traveling but I'm still 22lbs away from my ideal weight. Of course it doesn't help that my kids took a sudden interest in baking cookies, s'more treats, cobblers.... ugh.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Haha sometimes it's the people closest to us that are the greatest obstacle.

My wife and I tend to enable each other, so consciously tdying to fix that will be a big part of this.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

Jensen
Noob
Noob

Postby Jensen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi my name is Jensen,

I'm totally new to this site, I've already accidentally commented on threads that are over 6 months old (sorry management), but I believe in the power of community. I fight food cravings by sometimes playing video games, other times praying, other times picking myself up off the ground when I've failed. I'm trying get into Minecraft prism, but I also have a few games on my ps4, but I'm realizing that not everyone can just hop on a video game and distract themselves to the point of being satisfied from hunger or cravings. Life exists with jobs, bills, and responsibilities. And even sometimes praying doesn't seem like enough, because one feels alone. I'm not married, so to those of you in that position, I think it's wonderful that you can work together and motivate each other! All I want to do is raise a question, what else can we do to not feel alone when we feel like food could be our only friend? Some of us could game together, or in your guys cases update each other, definitely pray for one another, but is that it? How can we become more than conquers?

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:02 pm

All I want to do is raise a question, what else can we do to not feel alone when we feel like food could be our only friend? Some of us could game together, or in your guys cases update each other, definitely pray for one another, but is that it? How can we become more than conquers?
It's certainly a tricky thing, Jensen! I think if there was an easy answer we'd all have figured it out long ago, ha ha. Mostly, like all hard things, it's probably just something to take one day at a time, relying on God for strength and patience, and working little by little towards our best selves. It's not the most glamorous answer, but it is the one that will probably do best for us!

Also I've found ridding the house of junk is supremely helpful. When your food options are only good, reasonable ones (say, grapes rather than ice cream) it tends to be a lot easier to make smart choices. Not that total elimination of treats is the proper response, but merely that treats have to be accompanied by going OUT, rather than it being 11PM and having easy access to a gallon of Cookies and Cream. (Which I am guilty of.)

J.K. Riki
Gamer
Gamer

Postby J.K. Riki » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 pm

How's it going, AF? Just figured I'd check in, offer a cheer of support. Hope all is well.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict

Postby ArcticFox » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Not so good, I'm afraid. I've tried dome things that work fine only as long as you can maintain it. That's where I fall flat.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens

Return to “CCG Weight-loss Challenge”