X-men Apocalypse - SPOILERS

This is the place for mature and civil discussions. Not for the faint of heart or weak in faith.
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
https://www.movieguide.org/reviews/xmen-apocalypse.html

Anyone seen the movie? The trailer makes me want to stay away, but this article gives me some hope for the movie. There are enough semi- positive reviews from Christians online to make me think I better watch it for myself.

Spoilers are ok, even big ones.

Thoughts? Should Christians watch this movie? Do the positive spiritual references outweigh the negative? Is the moral of the story Christlike? Does a good moral message make up for the bad theology? What messages does the movie send about God?
Kyuremu
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
This is interesting as I've never considered any of these things when seeing a movie. All I know is they haven't made a good X-Men movie in over a decade :(
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Kyuremu wrote:This is interesting as I've never considered any of these things when seeing a movie. All I know is they haven't made a good X-Men movie in over a decade :(
I thought Days of Future Past was an excellent X-Men movie.

Of course, I don't think that's why this is in the "debates" section of the forum. XD
DallenMalna
For what it counts I have only ever enjoyed 2 x-men movies. Days of future past and X-men origins. Days of future past because it was a surprisingly solid film that held my interest. And X-men origins because at the time I thought all the x-men films were pretty terrible and origins was just their way of admitting it. I found it so silly it was enjoyable XD. Haven't seen Apocalypse but from what I've heard from reviewers it looks pretty..."meh"
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
haha. this 'debate' has been kinda lame. oh well. I guess I've been saying for awhile now Christians need to quite throwing a fit every time we don't like something that non-Christians are doing so maybe I shouldn't be disappointed.

I've heard very little about this irl, seems like the movie isn't super popular.

So, maybe I won't bother to see it even if it comes out on video. But I still think my initial set of questions is valid and should be included in our personal evaluations of movies. Most of the time, there isn't a direct reference to God in a movie so you can judge it based on the moral message and content. But in some cases, we need to evaluate the theological message as well.

Guess I'll have to look for a better debate topic :D
Coals_of_fire
Noob
Noob
what I find funny is the apocalypse in the movies are always try to be stopped when we see the apocalypse in Revelations has to come to past. its like they what to try to stop the prophecy from coming to past
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
Yeah it is interesting to note that apocalypse doesn't really mean the destruction of the world:

http://www.gotquestions.org/apocalypse.html

In the Bible, different passages (Parts of Daniel, a few verses at the end of Mark, as well as the book of Revelation and maybe some others) are called apocalyptic. The greek word means revealing, these are passages that reveal something about God or about what is to come. It's different than prophecy in that it uses so many symbols etc. There are other differences as well I'm sure, I think maybe prophecy is more about specific events and apocalyptic passages are more about who God is? I'd have to do some research. Plus, Biblical scholars disagree on how to interpret Revelations, like, very different understandings.

In any case, the word is really misused...