Spiritual Gifts

This is the place for mature and civil discussions. Not for the faint of heart or weak in faith.
neighborhoodotaku
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
I wanted to leave this discussion as open-ended as I possibly could, so I don't want to insert a large blog of scriptures and text just yet! Anyways, one topic that has driven me crazy lately has been the spiritual gifts that are talked about in the New Testament: speaking in tongues, interpreting tongues, healing, words of knowledge, words of insight, etc.

I have been earnestly seeking these gifts from God, wanting to take my faith to a new level, and have been looking for some people who could share their experiences with them. One big question that rages in my mind is do they still exist in today's day and age? Many Christians are divided on this subject, entire denominations are decided on this one issue, and I wanted to gather some of us together to hash this out. I have been contacting my pastors, small group leader, and others for their opinion about the spiritual gifts, and I wanted to know what you guys think too.

Hope we can figure something out! Please make any and all arguments completely Bible-based! Opinion is not allowed and I want to look at this subject from a perspective that we can all put our 100% trust into.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
What about personal experiences? When I was much younger, I attended a Pentecostal church, and did hear a couple people speaking in tongues (and were interpreted - however, the interpretations didn't make much sense to me). My current church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints - also believes in these spiritual gifts, and that each member has at least one of them. You can read more about it here, if you'd like.

But really, it likely depends on the different denominations and how they interpret the scriptures. As a result, a lot of it could stem from opinion - one person could interpret a verse entirely different from another. Who is to say which is correct?

That's where God comes in. He won't steer you wrong. When you hear or read something that makes you wonder, pray with honest sincerity and humility to learn if it is the truth. The Holy Spirit will testify to you about its veracity. Then you can decide whether to accept it as true or not.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We all have different spiritual gifts though talking in tongues isn't really practiced at my church. I am good with kids and have been serving as an Awana leader for 5 years now. I also consider this site a ministry and feel that it's been blessed by God as well.
neighborhoodotaku
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:We all have different spiritual gifts though talking in tongues isn't really practiced at my church. I am good with kids and have been serving as an Awana leader for 5 years now. I also consider this site a ministry and feel that it's been blessed by God as well.
Yes I definitely understand those type of gifts that God has given us; he uses our passions and talents to glorify His name. What I want to know about is if the specific spiritual gifts, the miraculous works that Jesus and his disciples did, still exist today. I talked with a baptist preacher last Sunday at my grandmother's church to find out what he thought, and he told me that anyone who thinks they have the gifts are kidding themselves and that miracles nowadays are fake. It's just that this issue has bothered me a lot and I really want to find the answer straight from the Bible.
Last edited by neighborhoodotaku on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neighborhoodotaku
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote:What about personal experiences?
Personal experiences definitely are allowed! I just didn't want someone to say, "Well spiritual gifts don't exist because I feel like they aren't real," or other wishy-washy arguments like that.
Sstavix wrote:You can read more about it here, if you'd like.
Do you have any sources straight from the Bible? I don't want to be rude, but I do not quite know where I am with the Book of Mormon yet and am still figuring out my own faith, so do you know any places directly in the Bible that reveal the answer?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
neighborhoodotaku wrote: Do you have any sources straight from the Bible? I don't want to be rude, but I do not quite know where I am with the Book of Mormon yet and am still figuring out my own faith, so do you know any places directly in the Bible that reveal the answer?
There are places in the Bible that reveal part of the answer. Open up the Book of Acts and read up on the Pentecost. There you'll find examples of speaking in tongues, for one.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I believe that divine healings still happen, but not through televangelists
Emwok
CCGR addict
I shared the link to this topic with some Christian friends from my church (the youth group specifically) and a lawyer in the group (the husband of a former intern; studies some apologetics) said to give you the link to this book.

A response from someone else in the group:
Very interesting, in 1st Corinthians Paul says this. 13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
Spoiler:

Sstavix
CCGR addict
neighborhoodotaku wrote:
Sstavix wrote:You can read more about it here, if you'd like.
Do you have any sources straight from the Bible? I don't want to be rude, but I do not quite know where I am with the Book of Mormon yet and am still figuring out my own faith, so do you know any places directly in the Bible that reveal the answer?
The link I provided outlines the gifts that the LDS church believes its members can receive, and includes links to the various scriptures where details can be found (most of which are in Corinthians, if I recall correctly). However, take note that some of these links will direct you to specific parts of the Book of Mormon or the Doctrine and Covenants, instead. So whether or not you accept those aspects is between you and God.

(Although if you'd like to learn more about the Book of Mormon, feel free to send a PM to me or ArcticFox. Both of us are converts from different backgrounds, and I'm sure we wouldn't mind talking to you about our own experiences with the BoM and the LDS church in general. :) )

I'll restate, though, that the greatest source of information is your Father in Heaven. Don't discount the power of prayer in trying to understanding the gifts of God (or lack thereof). He won't steer you wrong!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: I'll restate, though, that the greatest source of information is your Father in Heaven. Don't discount the power of prayer in trying to understanding the gifts of God (or lack thereof). He won't steer you wrong!
James 1:5 My favorite verse.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
I love this subject! So glad someone brought it up!

Something to know is that some spiritual gifts have passed away, such as healings and speaking and interpreting tongues and some others, Paul tells us this in 1st Corinthians, we do not need those gifts because they were used to show others that God and Jesus were living and powerful beings who actually came to earth just as the disciples had been proclaiming. So God gave the early church those gifts to show the non-believers the veracity of the disciples words. Now, we have the complete Word of God and His creation and Spirit to show others that Christ is real and died for the world, so we don't need those gifts to prove our faith. I can provide more detail if you'd like, neighbor.

I personally believe I have the gift of Hospitality or Mercy (compassion) I love to entertain people at my home but I also love to help those who are hurting, spiritually or emotionally. They're great gifts to have.
This is my signature
Sstavix
CCGR addict
RedPlums wrote: Something to know is that some spiritual gifts have passed away, such as healings and speaking and interpreting tongues and some others, Paul tells us this in 1st Corinthians, we do not need those gifts because they were used to show others that God and Jesus were living and powerful beings who actually came to earth just as the disciples had been proclaiming. So God gave the early church those gifts to show the non-believers the veracity of the disciples words. Now, we have the complete Word of God and His creation and Spirit to show others that Christ is real and died for the world, so we don't need those gifts to prove our faith.
At that time, there were a lot of people that didn't believe in God and Jesus Christ. And nowadays... there's still a lot of people that don't believe in God and Jesus Christ. Some things never change. :lol:

But do you think that the presence of those kinds of spiritual gifts could help nowadays? After all, we have the same problems with convincing unbelievers now as the early disciples did thousands of years ago.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
I think that in some ways they could help, but they could also harm. People could attribute these gifts to the person performing them and thus God does not get the glory He rightly deserves. People could also attribute these "miracles" to works of Satan or Occultism, which is something we definitely do not want. However, they could help some people to realize that there is a supernatural Being who created the world and is all powerful. It's sort of six of one half a dozen of another. But, if God took away these gifts, then it was for a good reason. :)
This is my signature
Sstavix
CCGR addict
RedPlums wrote: But, if God took away these gifts, then it was for a good reason. :)
There are some Christian branches - such as the Pentecostals - that believe God didn't take these gifts away, and some people still bear them. Do you think they may be faking it? Or that their "power" does stem from God or Satan?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
It isn't hard to fake speaking in tongues.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested